[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to build a PC specifically designed to handle digital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

I want to build a PC specifically designed to handle digital art creation.
I've done my research and the most important parts for the job and they are the processor and RAM.
I want to work on large canvas sizes without lag, use textured/angled brushes without lag, possibly animate without lag.
I'm wondering if it's necessary to drop a bunch of money on an i7 and 32gigs of RAM, or if I can settle for less with the same results.

Anyone on here who built a PC specifically for art with any advice? Thanks. Pic unrelated.
>>
File: my pc build 2.jpg (118KB, 1062x1036px) Image search: [Google]
my pc build 2.jpg
118KB, 1062x1036px
here you go
>>
>>61039402
Anon please I am a starving artist not a saudi prince.
>>
>>61039420
16gb ram and a recent i5 should be enough. spend the money you've saved on a nice wacom tablet.
>>
>>61039437
I have a nice monitor and tablet already. What I desperately need is a PC that doesn't start lagging when I work on a canvas over 2000px wide.
>>
I'll give you a list of parts, but first I want some furry scat pedo art from you.
>>
>>61039468
Alright but you have to pay me.
>>
>>61039388
>i7
>2017
Lolfaggot. Literally the only good reason to get an i7 is if you're gaming at 144Hz, otherwise you should get an R7 instead. Intel just doesn't have compelling offerings at the moment, unless you're either willing to spend $1000 on a CPU or are a poorfag and can't afford Ryzen.
>>
Nobody will be able to give you a straight answer cos you goals are too wooly. It doesn't matter how much ram or processing power you have, if you dial up your settings high enough it's gonna lag, and since we don't know how you'll use it or what programs you'll use it'll be tough to advise.
However saying that 32gb is probably too much. Digital painting and such you'll want about 8gb, maybe 16gb if you plan to use Photoshop to edit 100000px wide images or something weird.
Best advice I can give you is to get ssd hard drives, and get a dedicated drive to use for caching, this will speed things up immensely. And don't skip out on the graphics card as most abode products will use it to accelerate a lot of features.
Honestly a mid to high end gaming rig will be a good choice, at the end of the day you have the same goal as a gaming rig, to push around a lot of pixels as fast as possible.
>>
>>61039458
>I have a nice monitor and tablet already.
great!

i just opened up photoshop for you, 2000x2000 canvas. absolutely no lag with an i5-6600k, 12gb ram and a 980ti.

just to be save and since it's harder to upgrade later, get the i7 or the amd equivalent. but 16gb really should be enough. if it isn't, ram can easily be added later.
>>
>>61039506
I use multiple art/editing programs. Photoshop, CSP, Spine, sai, etc. I was thinking of installing my OS and my art programs on a SSD so that they are as fast as possible. Everything else can go on a scratch disk.

With photoshop at least you can either use the processor or the GPU to run the software. However, with other programs the option is not available and they only run off of the CPU.

I won't skimp on the GPU, but I also won't splurge on one.
>>
>>61039518
I can open up a 2000x2000 blank canvas just fine on my current PC (2gb ram).
The problems start coming when you have multiple layers open all at once (maybe even a hundred if you're making multiple panels) open at the same time.
Also larger, textured brushes cause serious lag. it doesn't even matter how many layers are in use, as soon as I use a large texture brush in PS it's chugging.
>>
>>61039388
You don't need i7, i5 or an AMD equivalent is enough. Get 16GB RAM. Get a good GPU (don't spend less than 100$). Getting an SSD is optional, but highly recommended if you want things to load faster.
>>
>>61040533
So far I have made these

>AMD processor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4sGB6X
>i5 processor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mNbsQV
Both builds come up to $818

Planning on using a SSD for my OS and painting programs. Any suggestions? I'm completely new to AMD so I just picked what I thought was best, I'm not aware of any glaring issues.
>>
>>61039388
i5 is more than what you need for productivity and gaming, Ryzen 5 also recommended if your use doesn't include much productivity.

32gigs of RAM is overkill. 16 if you can afford it, otherwise 8 should be fine. Also a big thing here : if you're buying 8gigs now but plan to upgrade in the future, buy a 8gb card, you can add another 8 to it in dual channel and get 2x faster ram speeds (useful for Photoshop). If your sticking with 8gb, then buy a 4+4gb kit.
>>
>>61041058
>if your use doesn't include much productivity.
Sometimes I end up working 14hours straight. Will an AMD processor overheat after 14hours of running photoshop with 100+ layers?
>>
>>61039388
An i5, 16gb of ram and a good monitor would be enough for you.
>>
>>61041248
Why would it? They're more power efficient and dissipate heat better than Intel CPUs
>>
>>61041248
No, thenew amd processors are efficient and better scaled in core quantities than Intel. They only lack a bit of single core performance over the highest end consumer intels (7700k for example) but they make up for it with cores and power draw.

AMD is a viable option again.

Also, 16GB is really recommended, I sometimes Photoshop with large files and if really helps to have more than 8. Also, I use an AMD r7 1700, together with an nvidia GPU which supports hardware accelerated graphics in Photoshop. You might want to look into GPUs.
>>
>>61039506
>ssd hard drives
>>
>>61039388
OP.
Please refer to the /pcbg/ here on /g/ there people with help you with your build. Just remember to state your budget and the intended use for the computer.

For starters, drop the i7 and aim for AMD Ryzen R7 , preferably the 1700, since it has the best performance/cost when OC'd.
>>
File: yu.jpg (120KB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
yu.jpg
120KB, 900x1300px
>>61039458
>2000px wide
I do 3000@600dpi no problem on a C2D and 4GB DDR2
buying an expensive PC won't make you good at art
>>
>>61041416
1 poo has been deposited in your loo.
>>
OP just FYI Photoshop CC and up uses VRAM so you're fucked if you skimp out on an alright GPU
>>
>>61041542
I have 2gb of RAM. I don't think that a better PC will improve my art, I just get frustrated with lag. Even the tiniest amount is extremely noticeable and annoying when you're trying to do precision work.
>>
>>61041586
You can use either the GPU or CPU if you change the settings in PS.
>>
>>61041248
Any recent AMD CPU won't overheat. It's not 2012 anymore.
>>
>>61039388
Get a mac so you have ecc ram and xenon for error checking
>>
>>61039388
Why did you make a new thread for this question and not go to the thread that's dedicated to fuckwits like you?

Just buy a Macbook like your kind usually does and stop wasting our time with your pointless existence.
>>
>>61041044
Go with the 1600 otherwise looks good
>>
>people actually recommending mainstream class i5/i7s for content creation

What the fuck? He explicitly said that this is a work machine, he doesn't need 5.9GHz.

You should find out if the programs you use support CUDA or OpenCL and upgrade the graphics card accordingly.

You will also probably need an SSD for the scratch file and a RAID1 setup for redundancy unless you've got automated backups.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dpfM7h
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.