[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/shg/ Self Hosting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage.jpg (112KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
112KB, 1920x1080px
I just upgraded to pic related from the rapidly decaying Owncloud. Holy shit at the difference in quality between the two and can't believe I hung on to OC for all these years thinking there was little to no difference between the two.

What else is /g/ hosting at home?
>>
>>61014717
I too am running NextCloud. I also use my home server as a NAS, for Plex for Chinese lolis on the go, a private Mumble server, Transmission daemon, and for ssh tunneling to my desktop.
>>
>>61014876
Almost forgot about Emby.

What's so great about Plex? How's the Android app support? I know neither are free software, which I'm not a fan of.
>>
>>61014876
Have you tried the phone sync? I can't get sms messages to sync.
I think apache_mod_security may be blocking it, but aren't at home to check the logs.
>>
>>61015123
the android and ios apps are both fantastic. Plex is really robust, unfortunate it's not FOSS.
>>
>>61015123
I like Plex because it functions like a self-hosted streaming service and actually supports Android clients, so I can host my anime on my server and watch it on my phone anywhere. The problem is as you said it's not FOSS, and unfortunately there isn't a FOSS alternative. I tried to find one and the only thing even partially related was Kodi, but it is an entirely different software suite designed for HTPCs and not fulfilling the role Plex has in my case. Luckily, the $5 one time fee is cheap enough on Android and I consider it well worth it.

>>61015199
Is that an app for NextCloud? I haven't tried it but I'm interested in checking it out. I'm still stuck using the cucked free version of Pushbullet and have been looking for an alternative for a while.
>>
How does this compare to synology?
>>
>>61015736
Apples to oranges I believe. Isn't Synology an OS?
>>
>>61015659
Ya, it's on F-Droid. It doesn't send messages tho, only backs them up for viewing later.
>>
Why is owncloud decaying?
>>
>>61015659
Emby is the FOSS alternative to Plex

>>61016220
Most of the core developers left to form Nextcloud
>>
>>61016019
Ah yeah I just looked at it. I'll have to give it a try but honestly I've not needed to back up my messages in a long time.

>>61016382
I'll check it out. Thanks!
>>
>>61014717
>>61014876
Why do people use this over something like samba?

also do you have any issues with mumble? Every time I have someone connect I have to force them to use a headset on their cellphone or if they are on a computer I have to force them to use closed back headphones, situate their mic a certain way, AND connect via team viewer so that I can adjust their mic sensitivity and even then its unbarable with background noises like air conditioners and mechanical keyboards
>>
>>61017750
I actually do use samba as well. My main reason for using NextCloud is for auto-syncing my desktop and computer and also to access my files outside of my LAN.
>>
>>61017750
Also I have issues with Mumble's sensitivity as well. It seems to plague everyone I know so it's not a server-side thing.
>>
>>61017750
I have samba shares set up for use on my lan, but the biggest draw for me for nextcloud/OC is that I can sync photo/video from my phone immediately, synchronize my contacts, calendars, etc. Most things GAPPS can do, but without the botnet.

Also, you may want to adjust the sensitivity of your headphones or invest in a new pair. Sounds like the issue may be on your end if this is a problem for everyone you talk to.
>>61016421
Nevermind. This app is garbage.
>Doesn't sync existing messages, only new ones
>Have to set the nextcloud app as the default messenger to sync even though it can't actually send or receive messages
>Doing so means messages only appear on nextcloud, but you can't respond to them from there or from your phone because the syncing is only two way.
>>
to what extent do you /g/uys do self-hosting? is it basically hosting your own website? why not use aws free tier or something like that
>>
>>61018187
You can run Nextcloud on whatever webserver you want and it doesn't have to be publicly accessible unless you want to access it when not connected to your network.
>>
>>61018174
>>61018161
its an issue with background noise not being filtered out. I adjust my mic volume and switch to earbuds to eliminate the echo on my end, but for example when my friend has on his airconditioner it gives me flashbacks to the noise the things make in langoliers movie.

How does the speed compare between samba and nextcloud? Ive considered using a vpn to connect to my samba while away form the house
>>
>>61018827
Samba is only intended for use on a LAN. If you VPN in to use it it'll probably have the same performance as downloading files directly.
>>
>>61018906
Well the speed would ofcourse be slowed down by the speed of the wan connection + the latency of running though a vpn daemon, but I dont see why its performance would be affected just because its going outside of the network like its some kind of space walk.

My question was meant in a situation where both samba and the cloud thing were both in the lan, which one performs better?
Im frequently seeing samba speeds that are slower than by hdds speed and its getting on my nervers.
Some days I will see transfer speeds that are limited by one drives write spead, but other days I will see bullshit like 3mbps and its sorta pissing me off.
>>
>plex
>owncloud
>nextcloud
Holy bloatnets. Just use good ol httpd.
>>
>>61014717
Wow thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I've been hating using owncloud on my home server for so long. It just feels like a piece of shit now.
>>
>>61014717
it's nice, that scanning thing they did never hit me since i keep it somewhat up to date.
have it hosted in DO, with my domain setup with letsencrypt.
sometimes have to do a restart of mariadb and apache.
>>
>emby
>nextcloud + syncthing
>madsonic, booksonic
>mopidy
>couchpotato, sickbeard
>transmission-nox
and my personal website
>>
File: 1497624428117.jpg (81KB, 625x623px) Image search: [Google]
1497624428117.jpg
81KB, 625x623px
Just want to throw in some useful information.

Mail-in-a-box: Self hosted mail with spam filter, backups, contacts, and Nextcloud. Contacts are synced between mail and nextcloud. Mail can be set up in Outlook perfectly.

Provider for nextcloud: Kimsufi
2TB servers (not vps) for 15$/month. I've been running a server since August last year and I haven't had any issues so far. 2TB for 15$ is unbeatable though. 100MBps connection. Unlimited data transfer iirc.
>>
>>61019260
Samba is definitely slower. You can also mount nextcloud as a webdav folder or use their sync client.
>>
>>61014717
Oh, great.
You spam yet another PHP monstrosity in /g/, to supposedly savvy tech-alert anons.
Attwood's law, where are you?
>>
Any ideas for a odroid I have lying around? Was thinking rutorrent, clipboard sync and IRC bouncer.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.