[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any fun to be had with multiple long-distances antennas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: qt2yX.jpg (384KB, 1944x2916px) Image search: [Google]
qt2yX.jpg
384KB, 1944x2916px
hey nerds
recently I've been thinking about looking for cheap or free used hardware and things that can be made into stuff like cantennas for range and stuff. I'm not too experienced on the subject, but I'd like to be able to build something simple that I can use to extend the range of my router and see a bunch of wifi networks, maybe connect to some guest coffee shop or something, and also maybe use for ham radio (I have a baofeng)

I also was really curious if I got multiple of these dish-enhanced omnidirectional antennas and kept them running, listened for or connected to multiple wifi networks. just what the advantage would be and what sort of fun things I could do with that, obviously I couldn't start a meshnet, but something similar would be nice as a hobby. preferably all legally without hacking just long distances connections to unsecured wifis at like coffee shops and restaurants and stuff
>>
>>61005591

>any fun to be had with multiple long-distances antennas?

If you have friend within line of sight to set up a point to point connection with then yes. So no.
>>
>>61005731
>have friend
delet dis
>>
File: Linus.jpg (48KB, 634x313px) Image search: [Google]
Linus.jpg
48KB, 634x313px
>>61005591
Getting sick of that useless antenna lying around, Linus?
>>
If you want a proper mesh, or p2p network ubiquiti have some nice gear that is cheap.

their nanostations are probably what you are looking for.
>>
>>61005591
bumping for curiosity

my apartment has line of site to a starbucks that is about 2500 feet away from me. is there any change of being able to connect to them?
>>
>>61006981
Only slightly and that is if you have LOS (line of sight)

The access point might be able to see you, but you will probably be too far away for it to sent any valid packets back.

You need two directional antennas for the best result.
>>
>>61007104
so i would need to somehow amplify my transmit signal?
>>
>>61007177
Nope
>>61007104 is an idiot. If you can receive the beacon, then you you can use it too
>>
>>61007202
neat!

could i re purpose an old satellite and just stick some sort of wifi thing where the LNB goes?
>>
>>61007202
Are you autistic?

You might get some beacons, but think about packet loss when you actually try it.
>>
>>61007224
Yeah, when I was little, sitting with a satellite dish in my lap was the only way to get my neighbor's Wi-Fi on my PSP. I've seen quite a few people using old dishes for Wi-Fi.
>>
>>61005591
>dish-enhanced omnidirectional antennas
The dish is not omni-directional. That's the whole point. You concentrate the same power into a narrower beam to increase the distance. Well you can increase the power too but that's not what a bi-quad antenna and a dish do.
>>
>>61007253
Look into WokFi you pseudointellectual.
>>
>>61007571
oops sorry, meant to say just directional, the terms went over my head a bit I guess
>>
>>61008298
just use a yagi
>>
thanks guys for the answers I think I've heard a lot of what I wanted to know but I'll bump it one more time to see if anyone else with experience has something to add
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.