[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of hardware would you recommend for someone just t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 3464745.png (607KB, 746x850px) Image search: [Google]
3464745.png
607KB, 746x850px
What kind of hardware would you recommend for someone just trying to host vulnerable VM images (stuff of vulnhub.com for example) in college. Basically just a simple hypervisor setup.

I was looking into a dual xeon setup, 20-30 gigs of RAM, etc. For around $100 - $150. But I'm told these things suck 300 watts at idle.

I'd only be using it when i'm practicing on the VM's, which isn't all the time.

Should I go with something more energy efficient? If so, what would that be? I'm just looking around my local craigslist right now. Looking for something used in the $100 - $150 range.

Thanks!

Pic related, it's an example of what I was looking at.
>>
fuck off cunt
>>
Energy is the number #1 cash grave.
People who buy cheap inefficient shit always end up paying more.
>>
>>61003256
>college
>300 watts at idle.

What's the problem? If you are in a dorm its free power, within reason of course. That is, until you trip the breaker or turn your room into a sauna.

More than 1 of those might heat up a dorm pretty quickly.
>>
>>61003275

Would would you recommend then? I was thinking an alternative would be a cheap i7 desktop that can be found for around the same price. But the downside to that is it won't have much RAM, and I'd have to throw some more at it. Which wouldn't be too expensive though.
>>
>>61003317

I'm starting as a sophomore and living in a 4 bedroom apartment off campus. Water is free, but electricity is not.
>>
File: Capture.png (8KB, 222x436px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8KB, 222x436px
>>61003256
>>61003322
I got a dual xeon, 48 GB RAM server off ebay for 100 dollars (+40 shipping). It's about 140 watts idle, maybe 180 if I'm stressing it a little. You'll be able to set up as much shit as you want on one of those, and the 140-160 watts is going to be better than trying to mash 5 desktops together.
>>
>>61003344

Thank you for your two cents. I would assume your server is probably a bit newer than the one in the OP picture which is why it's more energy efficient.

At this point, I'm thinking it's either find a good deal on a dual xeon server with a bunch of ram installed, or find an i7 desktop for around the same price and throw some more RAM at it.
>>
>>61003256
>>I'd only be using it when i'm practicing on the VM's, which isn't all the time.
How many of these do you need to run at once? You don't need some firebreathing server if you're just occasionally spinning up a few VMs to play with.
>>
>>61003330
get a job you lazy faggot
>>
>>61003372
>newer
I don't know, it's old as shit. Fujitsu RX200 or something or other. I'm planning on buying an HP Gen10 Microserver when they finally fucking exist (fuck you HP) to replace it and I'll be measuring the power usage when idle and under load. Only issue is I'll be losing 16 gigs of RAM so I'll need to either decommission some of the virtual machines or see what I can squish down.
>>
>>61003375

Option 1: Host the vulnerable VM and Kali Linux in a VM on the server at the same time.

Option 2: Host just the vulnerable VM on the server and put Kali Linux on a HDD on my current rig (FX8350 @ 4.5ghz, ect) and attack the server from my rig.

>>61003378
kek
>>
>>61003408
>HP Microserver

I had to look it up, but I really like the form factor on those. Would be ideal for me too I think.
>>
>>61003410
You have enough cores to run both VMs at once on your machine, even while you continue to use it for normal shit. How much RAM do you have? 8GB might be kinda tight but you'll be fine doing all this on your existing hardware with 16.

Now if you just *want* a server because you have other ideas on the boil for things to do with a separate computer, don't let me stop you. But just to set up a play network with a few hosts and then attack it, you have what you need now.
>>
>>61003425
I want to buy it, but they don't even offer them yet. I think to even see configuration options you need to have a business and set up a B2B account with them too. Supposedly they were "released" a little while back, but nothing has them. The vendors that my work uses don't even have them listed.
>>
>>61003440

I was just thinking it would be nice to separate all this from my gaming rig. I have 16 gigs of low frequency (937mhz) DDR3 on it right now.

I may just heed your advice and just stick with what I have now then. I do really appreciate your post.
>>
remember most rack servers are loud as fuck (if you've never heard one then whatever you are currently thinking is loud - double it) which may be prohibitive in a shared household
>>
>>61003483
That. Make sure you go for a 2U instead of a 1U if you can. The 1U servers are loud as fuck. I have mine in a closet and it still ups the ambient noise to a good 45-50 dB.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.