[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: solus.jpg (93KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
solus.jpg
93KB, 1920x1080px
I have thus far successfully converted 8 people into adopting GNU/Linux as their primary operating system because of how simple to use and relatively gaymur oriented Solus is. Thank you Kevin.

What has been your experience in trying to convert people?
>>
>>61000769
I converted 0ppl,I really tried,they rather use outdated winXP .

I really wish the linux meme would go big and fuck windows in the ass.

But reality is still that,if you actually work the windows offer more.

Ideally you would run win with linux in VM
>>
>>61000812
I guess that depends on what you mean by "actually work." If you mean Adobe shit and CAD, then yes. Everything else, no.
>>
>>61000769
giving people a heavily modified version of tails on a usb stick that sends wifi pass + all browser history and pidgin chat logs back to me

so far all of them seem to be in the "see if that bad shit is real" camp, none of them are regularly using it to look for bad shit

i really should work on getting more logged on it. maybe copying pgp privkeys + passwords and thunderbird profile but i dont know if i want to put in the work of compiling tails 3.0 with my modifications
>>
>>61000769
I've converted 4 friends from uni who love it

I convinced my room mate (typical Reddit gamer, LinusTechTips enthusiast, etc.) to install Ubuntu on his laptop which was grinding to a halt when he updated it to Windows 10.
He complained that he couldn't play his games on it and said to me,
>"you don't actually do anything but shitpost with computers".
Which is bullshit because my entire 4 year Engineering degree I've used Linux, as well as in my actual internship
>>
>>61000864
Not that guy, but i use Paint Net and SubtitleEdit, neither of which have native Linux version
>>
>>61000769
I am a new convert. I see only GNU/Linux in the far remote future.
I started with a VM, then went to a dual boot, Now I am done with Windows completely.
>>
I installed cloveros
>>
File: 1490494749534.gif (602KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1490494749534.gif
602KB, 320x213px
>>61000769
finally!
>>
>>61000918
>Paint.NET
Pinta is almost identical. It was designed to be so, actually.
>SubtitleEdit
I don't understand why you need this. It looks like GUI for a text editor for a subtitle file.
>>
>>61000974
>I don't understand why you need this.
>proceeds to name features that would compell someone to use said piece of software.
>>
>>61000877
fuck i cant believe i dont copy electrum wallets. maybe terminal history too, and i guess if i really wanted to i could just botnet the fuck out of and have it mount hdd partitions and send me everything

probably should have put in a unique identifier too
i really have no clue what im doing but i just might turn out okay
>>
>>61000991
I am not trying to say that all GUIs are trash. I am trying to say I don't understand why you need a GUI for a very simple format. From what I can see, SubtitleEdit gives you a bunch of fields to type exactly the same thing you would end up typing if you did it in a normal text editor.
01:02:03 --> 01:04:05
- I'm gay
- You're gay

Do you really need a separate program for this, or does SubtitleEdit do something else?
>>
>>61000769
I don't convert people, they should decide for themselves
A good friend of mine saw I use linux and got curious about it. some time later he came to me to build him miniITX PC for his TV to run Linux so I did. he uses his cheap linux box now most time instead of his gaming PC.
I think converting people is no good practice tough
>>
>>61001355
Just randomly trying to convince someone to switch is bad. All of my conversions have been started by friends whining about how shitty Windows 10 is for them.
>>
File: 1492017547660.jpg (299KB, 584x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492017547660.jpg
299KB, 584x600px
y'all don't sound like some weird cult at all
>>
>>61000769
hi kevin
>>
>>61002204
Kevin uses CloverOS now.
>>
>>61000769
How do you get solus to look like that.
>>
>>61000769
I gave one of my freinds who's laptop broke a laptop with ubuntu on it.
>>
What is the advantages of solus over ubuntu?
>>
i fought with Solus, trying to get in installed from a USB stick for like 3 hours, and never went back to it again.
>>
>>61002654
take picture of your station and photoshop it in windows
>>
>>61000769
>"successfully converted 8 people into adopting GNU/Linux as their primary operating system because of how simple to use and relatively gaymur oriented Solus is."

The greatest lie every told.
>>
>>61004231
>rying to get in installed from a USB stick for like 3 hours
what the fuck did you fight with it about
>>
>>61004224
more lightweight, independent, no spyware, creator is doing this 4free, and the project is not backed by a for profit organization
>>
>>61000769
Is Solus any good? Thinking of switching from Arch because I'm a distro hopping faggot.
>>
>>61005051
It's actually a solid distro, works well OOTB and is fast as fuck, despite all the hate it gets here, doesn't have a massive repository though. Only reason I've stopped using it is it's pretty power hungry and was rinsing my laptop battery.

I'd recommend it, especially to people who just want to install their OS and get shit done.
>>
>>61000769
You should get a life.
>>
>>61000769
>teaching people the secret club ways
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>61005051
I don't know how to answer this. Solus is on the other end of the spectrum that Arch is on. Arch expects you to learn how to do things as well as what they're doing with no way around it. Solus goes out of its way to make sure you have to do as little configuration and tinkering as possible unless you want to. It's also designed from the ground up to be desktop GNU/Linux and makes no compromises for that.

It's nice; I like it. I'll like it more when Plasma is finally ready for it
>>
>>61005073
>>61005096
Thanks for responding.

>>61005096
I think I'll stick to Arch then. Even though it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, I learn a lot using it, I keep my /home partition separate anyway so if I screw things up too much I can just start again.
>>
Is there a reason for me to switch from Elementary OS to Solus ?
On a XPS 15.
>>
>>61000769
I've converted only one so far. He was practically destined for it though. Im surprised he didnt switch far earlier.

Will continue preaching the good word.
>>
>>61005130
Solus is faster and can be made to look like your OSX clone, so no not really. Try a liveCD.
>>
>>61005130
every reason you can think of
cause Elementary is shit
>>
>>61004249
She's asking about the Chrome OS theming/transparent taskbar.
>>
>>61000877
>>61001015
Well aren't you a subhuman piece of shit
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.