[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The "Shit we never otherwise discuss" thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1497176164523.jpg (292KB, 789x1183px) Image search: [Google]
1497176164523.jpg
292KB, 789x1183px
Everyone is too busy discussing consumershit like GPUs, headphones, arguing over which fucking distro is better, arguing over systemd.

Here are some things I'm wondering why we never discuss since they are very tech-relevant and could probably help some of you NEET bastards get jobs.

* Kubernetes
* Start-up culture
* Continuous Integration (like Jenkins)
* Data structures/types (/dpt/ is shit at this before you mention)
* Docker
* New database tech like RocksDB, Redis etc
* Message queues

Until you start to have threads on these (and I'm not talking about one thread every 2 months), you shouldn't consider yourself a legit tech board.
>>
>>60994460
It's pretty well known that /dpt/ tends to devolve into nonsense 20 posts in, so I'm not sure /dpt/ is good at discussing anything. It's a shame.
>>
>>60994749
Yeah, I wish some of the real oldfags of /g/ had not left. This place was once the jewel of 4chan.
>>
Actual technology is hard unlike repeating the same old shitposts about otherwise unremarkable consumer hard/software
>>
>>60994749
>>60996972
What oldfags do you speak of? I remember some tripfags. One guy named Johnson that used to get some shit done, and another named Marisa who'd post about OS development. IIRC he actually got far enough to display graphics
>>
How2 land a job in computer architecture? Everywhere I look, companies ask for electrical engineering experience, but I'm a CS babby.
>>
>>60997382
learn elec. eng.
>>
>>60994749
>>60996972
>>60997323
An interesting example to look at is:
Compare https://warosu.org/g/thread/40364230 to https://warosu.org/g/thread/55414062
The 2014 thread starts off good, degenerates a bit, but overall attempts to be about programming. Meanwhile, the 2016 thread immediately devolves in hardcore anime shitposting.
Normally, when forums degenerate, they slowly get worse and worse, but /dpt/ has gotten exponentially worse in the last 2 years.
>>
>>60997669
Well I guess that's the response I should have expected. I know Verilog, for what it's worth.

>>60994460
I used to work in a devops/SCM team. Jenkins was a big part of our day-to-day, mainly cause developers can't into maven dependency management and kept breaking the builds. There was an active effort from my manager to start using Rundeck as our deployment platform, but that never came to pass, it was all kept as 1k line shell scripts in Jenkins.
Recently, I switched teams and am working in our Big Data™ unit. Pretty cool stuff, but I can't into Kafka and Hadoop for shit. Looking at the source code for all the objects I have to interact with, I'm disgusted at the lack of documentation. Fuck Apache.
I guess you could ask me about these things if you're just starting out, but I'm not that well versed either.
>dad wants me to go full west coast start-up faggot
>too comfy in the south east and don't want to live like a fucking peasant
>plus he was talking about leaving us and going away, leaving me in charge of the family
>can't risk not having a job, mom and sis need the money
/blog
>>
>* Kubernetes
Shit
>* Start-up culture
Shit
>* Continuous Integration (like Jenkins)
Shit
>* Data structures/types (/dpt/ is shit at this before you mention)
Read a book
>* Docker
Shit
>* New database tech like RocksDB, Redis etc
Shit
>* Message queues
Shit
>>
>>60997951
Be glad your developers were using maven and not a custom mess that slowly developed in-house over a decade, gradually accruing more and more random bullshit while lacking essential features.
>>
>>60997951
>>60998646

Does apache keep a map of all it's current projects and how they interconnect? It's always felt like they're trying to build a (potential) comprehensive suite of software but rarely seems to be explained as such.
>>
>>60998747
>implying the only interconnection isn't the fact that they're all built with maven
>>
Any one know any good resources for decompelling archives/game-archives using C or C++?
>>
>>60998926
zlib
or
give more info
>>
File: 1497283244058.jpg (624KB, 1216x1748px) Image search: [Google]
1497283244058.jpg
624KB, 1216x1748px
>>60998991
Decompiling/reverse engineering, game-archives.
I'm well versed in QuickBMS but I want to move onto more advance decompelling using, C or C++.
>>
>>60994460
fuck off >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>60998747
A lot of apache projects are donated to then when a company moves on from internally developing it. So there is not necessarily an overall reason.
>>
>>60994460
Hacker News does this stuff.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.