[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me one (1) good reason to use Linux as my main operating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 1497069273817 (1).png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1497069273817 (1).png
1MB, 1920x1200px
Give me one (1) good reason to use Linux as my main operating system on my gaming pc
>>
>gaming
You could stop being a manchild
>>
>look mom I posted it again LOL
>>
>>60989396
What's wrong with gaming? If you don't use your PC for gaming you might as well use a smartphone or a tablet
>>
>gaming pc
It's not for you. All the benefits that come with using a proper *nix environment don't apply to your typical gamer or consumerist.
>>
>>60989431
>all the benefits
List them
>>
>>60989431
relevant pasta:

When a someone other than a NEET who browses /g/ recommends using Linux, what they mean is that they recommend that you take advantage of 35 years of the most talented programmers on earth actively trying to make a system that helps them program better, as part of a culture that expects a certain set of tools to be available and operate in a particular way. They encourage you to become familiar with what serious professional developers use, in part because it means they don’t have to cater to the idiosyncratic behaviors of half-assed development environments, and in part because knowing how to use these tools properly will make you a better programmer — because that’s what those tools are for, and that’s what they’ve been optimized for.

It's really not for the average gamer/media consumer. It's for programmers and computer scientists. I would never recommend it to tech normies. What you need to understand is that this isn't really a Linux vs. Windows issue, it's more of a Windows vs. UNIX thing. Windows was designed with end-users in mind, just average people who don't understand computers and don't want or need to. UNIX on the other hand is almost a philosophy, a culture of hackers and computer scientists who wanted an environment that makes development and algorithmic computing easy without the operating system or a million layers of "user-friendly GUIs" getting in the way.

UNIX is designed to make the computer scientist's life easier. Everything at the foundation of UNIX is a small program that does one thing and does it well, as opposed to one huge program that does a million different things and opens the door for sloppy or convoluted design.

tl;dr Windows is designed for people like you, with developers as an afterthought. Linux and Unix-derivatives are designed for developers, with people like you as an afterthought.
>>
Don't do it, if your main use for a PC is gaming you're gonna be dualbooting into Windows constantly anyway.
>>
no one cares what you use on your glorified gaming console
>>
>>60989385
If you were a real gaymer you wouldn't be asking this stupid question
>>
no. if you have to ask then it's not for you. there's probably no good reason for you to use it, anyways. you're probably too stupid. sage
>>
>>60989385
Privacy
>>
>>60989396
/thread
>>
>>60989448
>a small program that does one thing and does it well, as opposed to one huge program that does a million different things and opens the door for sloppy or convoluted design.
fucking systemd
>>
>>60989385
Use windows 10.

There is literally no reason to use linux for gaming.
>>
>>60989445

For casual newbs:
You get a browser and a smooth performance for free, WTF else do you want? For us to pay you money?

For regular users:
Faster performance because of less overhead.
Faster boot times (win 10 was praised for having fast boot times, my Linux setup can boot to desktop in 1 second on a hdd)
Better multi-desktop implementation than windows 10.
Actually not costing money.
No need to wait on restart for updates.
No need to install drivers, they're all in the kernel already.

For power users:
Actual customizability. Forget shit like rainmeter on windows 10, that shit is clunky as fuck compared to stuff on Linux.
PROPER SHELL COMMAND LINE is a godsend, and no, that windows 10 Linux emulator isn't enough.

For professional users:
Better for programmers, no need to rely on bulky IDEs for compilation.
Better for sysadmins, having the same software stack available on desktop and on server is a godsend.

Who Linux isn't for:
Designers and engineers who are afraid of touching code. You can do great design work under Linux, but all of the tools expect you to use the keyboard instead of the mouse to do any real productive work.
Gamers. Even though the situation is a lot better now, you won't be playing the latest Doom or Tomb Raider without some extra fiddling around.
>>
>>60989608
>Better for programmers, no need to rely on bulky IDEs for compilation
this. my first year of compsci uni, we actually had to use eclipse. for fucking hello world programs and shit. nothing is comfier than a text editor that opens right away and has your favorite extensions installed.
>>
>>60989608
>my Linux setup can boot to desktop in 1 second on a hdd
how anon? what distro? I'm using gentoo and it takes at least one minute.
>>
>>60989385
Performance
>>
>>60989507
Pajeet please.
>>
>>60989662
I'm on gentoo too and it takes 25-35 seconds with my trash hdd.
And it is encrypted on a hardened profile.
>>
File: 1203621661509.jpg (25KB, 525x355px) Image search: [Google]
1203621661509.jpg
25KB, 525x355px
>>60989396
>>
>>60989608
Hey is it really possible to play recent games on linux? I want off Botnet10 so fucking bad. I don't mind tweeking.
>>
>>60989385
even my hardcore dev friend with his main partition being gentoo unstable has a windows 10 partition for gaymans.
>>
>>60989666
kek
>>
>>60989430
>What's wrong with gaming? If you don't use your PC for gaming you might as well use a smartphone or a tablet
Don't worry, you'll grow up.
>>
>>60989798
>Hey is it really possible to play recent games on linux? I want off Botnet10 so fucking bad. I don't mind tweeking.
Uh, choose a lesser evil and dual boot with Windows 7?
>>
>>60989798
yes, some recent games are released with a Linux version on Steam.

Still, there are many that only have a Windows version, but you can try to run through a compatibility layer called WINE. Of those games, some work, and some don't.

Have you tried a dual boot? It's very easy to set up.

>>60989819
hey that's me
>>
>>60989507
And there's literally no reason to use Windows 10 for gaming when Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 still exist and are "supported".
>>
File: txqAfWv.png (486KB, 1000x624px) Image search: [Google]
txqAfWv.png
486KB, 1000x624px
>>60989385
Do all of the games you play have linux support? Yes? Go for it. No? Stick to Windows.

Wow, that was difficult.
>>
>>60989868
But i would lose DX12
>>60989883
It's been a long time since i don't dual boot, i suppose i could do it again.
>>
>>60989430
>developing
>word processing
>spreadsheets
>music/audio production
>video editing
>heavy duty art/graphics work
>CAD
Oh well, better listen to the kid who doesn't have a job and thinks desktop computers and laptops exist solely for video games. Better try all these things on a smartphone!

I swear Windows has the dumbest fucking userbase.
>>
>>60989911
>But i would lose DX12
There's a staggering amount of 20 games which support DX12, but don't exclusively require it.
>>
File: GPU_Passthrough_Vive.webm (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
GPU_Passthrough_Vive.webm
2MB, 480x270px
>>60989798
You might want to look into GPU passthrough with QEMU if you have the patience, I managed to pull it off successfully after a good while long while of reading and following instructions. Plays all the latest demanding games just fine with negligible performance penalty even managed to get the HTC vive working on it.
Long since moved onto arch, webm related was on an Xubuntu install, any distribution will do since most have access to the same tools just packaged differently.

>https://www.evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/
This guide should get you started, there is another one on the arch wiki that is much more in depth. Easier to do with Ubuntu for a beginner since you have a lot less steps to worry about when setting up.
>>
>>60989385
Good is subjective.
/Thread
>>
>>60990028
thanks, i'll take a look.
>>
>>60990094
You will need 2 gpus, 2 monitors, 2 mouses and 2 keyboards to use gpu passthrough
>>
>>60990119
i'll need a second gpu then.
>>
>>60990119
>2 gpus
True for most setups, headless with only 1 gpu is hard to pull off.
>2 monitors
false, one monitor with 2 inputs works fine as demonstrated in that webm.
>2 mouses
false, can use QXL for input emulation as demonstrated in that webm
>2 keyboards
false, for the same reason
>>
>>60990028
>GPU passthrough
there is literally no point in doing this when dual-booting exists. Setting up a GPU passthrough is complex, time-consuming, error-prone, and you have to obtain two GPUs.

Just dual-boot anon, it's very simple. Or if you find dual-booting a hassle, when you spend most of your time on Windows because you game too much, then you should probably just use Windows without dual booting.
>>
>>60989385
Why not just have another PC for work? That's what I do. I have a gayman PC for vidya and media shit with a dual boot setup for fucking around, and another couple PCs for work related tasks.

If all you do is vidya, you don't really need Linux, and even if you do work on your PC, it's probably better to keep that shit separated anyway IMO.
>>
>>60989385
>gayming pc
>linux
That depends. Why are you even asking this question, OP? Is there any special reason that you're even considering Linux? If you spend the majority of your time gaming then you're probably better off just using Windows. Dual-booting is also an option if you still want to use Linux.
>>
>>60990181
Yes dual booting is a far easier and cheaper solution that would work on most systems, constantly having to restart to switch OSes sounds like a pain in the ass though despite SSDs improving boot times significantly.
One possible advantage to running windows in a VM is that in theory it should be isolated from the rest of your system, but passing through hardware to it increases the attack surface.
Personally I use it mostly for the sake of convenience since I have always wanted to use linux as my primary OS without constantly rebooting.
>>
>>60990181
>his motherboard/cpu doesn't have an internal GPU
>>
>>60990028
How hard is running Arch? I've played around with a little debian before and I use CentOS/Redhat at work for full stack web dev?
>>
>>60990466
only "difficult" part is installing it, and it's quite easy if you can read (the official installation guide is one page)

Using it is about the same as Debian, perhaps easier because you don't have to hunt down PPAs when a package you need isn't in the official repos; the AUR has everything and yaourt automates the process for you.
>>
>>60990820
>using PPAs in Debian
shiggy diggy
>>
>>60989396
>Posting on an anime website
You could stop being a manchild
>>
>>60990820
Sounds good, I think I'll jump in
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.