[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Leap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Magic-Leap.jpg (447KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Magic-Leap.jpg
447KB, 2000x1125px
In 2016, the Augmented Reality company Magic Leap had the largest C-round of financing in history: $793.5 million. After a private presentation, investors such as Google, Andreessen Horowitz and Kleiner Perkins have funneled $1.4 billion into it.

Though it's currently focused on glasses, it promises no-glasses-needed, hologram-tier AR technology.

Is it the ultimate vaporware or is there some truth to it?

>www.magicleap.com
>>
>>60987202
>this thread again

are you being paid or do you just want yous?
>>
>>60987211
I'm actually a visitor from /mu/ who has never been in /g/ before. It seems like a scam to me... but I'm honestly wondering about your opinions on this.
>>
>>60987224
>a scam that got 1.4billion
it might be overhyped but I don't think it's a full on scam
>>
>>60987202
Let's see what they have produced so far.
Nothing. And they also had Weta Workshop produce a video for them because their technology wasn't ready to do it.
>>
Repost
>Magic Leap’s allegedly revolutionary augmented reality technology may in fact be years away from completion and, as it stands now, is noticeably inferior to Microsoft’s HoloLens headset, according to a report from The Information
>one of these videos — showing an alien invader video game that let the wearer of the supposed headset or glasses make use of real-world objects — was created by visual effects studio Weta Workshop. Prior to today, it was believed Weta had simply created the visual assets for the game. However, The Information reveals the entire video was created by the studio
>“This is a game we’re playing around the office right now,” reads the video’s description — an assertion that could not have been true
>The Information received a rare product demonstration at Magic Leap, describing the device as a large helmet that connects to a desktop computer using multiple cables. The demo is described as having elements similar to the HoloLens, but with images that are in some cases blurrier and more jittery than Microsoft’s prototype
>The crux of the problem appears to be Magic Leap’s gamble on a so-called fiber scanning display
>According to The Information, Magic Leap still has not been able to get the fiber scanning display to work. It has since demoted it to a long-term research project. “You ultimately in engineering have to make tradeoffs,”Abovitz said in the interview. Still, the company’s latest prototype appears to be the size of a standard pair of glasses. It’s known internally as the PEQ, for product equivalent, and yet Magic Leap declined to demonstrate it for The Information. Abovitz claims it is only slightly less capable than the earlier, tethered prototypes, but denied that it now uses technology similar to the HoloLens.
TLDR: it's a scam and they're trying to make a shitty Hololens clone to damage control
>>
I've been following Magic Leap for a couple of years now because I was really hyped by MS's hololens and these guys promised to do a lot better, and big companies were actually backing them.
In these years they haven't done jackshit except talk shit about the hololens and how their product is going to be years ahead of the competition and all that jazz. Still no product in sight. Still no presentation date. Still nothing.

Magic Leap is a scam.
>>
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608115/this-startup-is-making-virtual-and-augmented-reality-so-crisp-it-looks-real/
>>
>>60987202
https://youtu.be/jroQCyWwEgE?t=46
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.