[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can it game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Is this good enough for modern gaming? I'm seriously asking.

> AMD A8-7600 APU (only used as CPU)
> Radeon 7850 GPU
> 32 GB DDR3
> 120 GB SSD + slowest 2007 model 250 GB HDD (can replace it with faster a 2GB Toshiba)
> HAF 912
> Windows 10 OEM (using legal key from my GNU/Linux laptop's BIOS)
> 24" 1080p TN panel

My nephew is begging for a computer. I could just give him this one. I only use GNU/Linux myself and this is the first and only Windows system I've had in my home since Windows 98 was popular so I am not familiar with what games and software Windows people use or what hardware it needs.

Is this good enough for gaming and YouTube streaming (he wants to for some reason) and the things kids do today? I could upgrade it a bit but I'm not sure how much I want to spend.
>>
>>60986973
That is actually pretty ok. I game using a r7 250 and it is far weaker than that gpu
>>
>>60987047
also don't upgrade it for him. If he starts out with the latest gear he will become indolent and prone to vice
>>
>>60987047
The GPU is actually something that puzzles me.

Looking it up on Passmark's site says that the
Radeon HD 7850 has an average score of 3810. This one scores 4654 for some reason. Stock seems to be a core clock of 860 and a memory clock of 1200, this one apparently runs at 1000 MHz core and 1225 MHz memory. I'm guessing I got a factory overclocked back in the day (honestly, the only thing I wanted was one with a two display port connectors that would handle a triple screen setup).

Good to know you can game just fine on a weaker one.

>>60987057
Good point. And in all fairness, he should be happy if I give him anything at all. Also, this is rather powerful compared to the IBM XT at 4.77 MHz with 640KB memory and a 20MB HDD that I started out with...
>>
Yes at low settings and 1080p at most. But yes, it can.
>>
Don't fall for the PC gaming meme you'll save so much money and have a better experience on consoles. I came to know this after blowing 1,300 on a machine. Good news is it wont be useless in my lifetime probably. But thats the thing, after I built it I want to mess with it. Being shackled to Windows 10 is horrific. Sure you have permance gains but at what cost?

I mainly just play on my PS4 Pro. The HDR is really something else.
>>
>>60987095
passmark did the pass with a very old driver..

all the gcn cards are getting nice perf till today because they are basicly the same card
>>
>>60987116
A 7850 will still push medium settings 1080p60 in most games
>>
>>60987146
Most but not the very latest like Watch Dogs 2 or DOOM I'd guess?
>>
File: screenfetch-taeyeon-ryzen.png (9KB, 997x292px) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch-taeyeon-ryzen.png
9KB, 997x292px
>>60987132
>save so much money and have a better experience

I'm not convinced the math in question works out like that.

I already have this box, it's on the kitchen table just so I could install the Wintendo OS and mess with it a bit for now. if I don't give it to my nephew then the choices are to either sell it or .. put it in a corner in the basement. The only cost to factor in unless I decide to change some parts is the loss of not selling it.

I also know that he already has some kind of XBox, I think it's the 360 one (it's white and not the latest).

>>60987146
Nice. Thanks.

>>60987142
That might explain it, I just installed the latest version available right now.

>>60987184
>Watch Dogs 2 or DOOM
Are those any fun?
>>
>>60987191
Really depend on the person and "tastes". I really enjoyed both.
>>
>>60987191
The golden age of video games was the early-mid 2000s. Go play some god tier XP era shit, and you can run it on the toastiest of toasters.
>>
>>60987191
doom is fun watch dogs 2 is fun if you are fan of bdsm and bugs

i rather spend 10 hours travelling on train simulator than to play wd2
>>
>>60987274
>fan of bdsm
He's 12, so I hope that's not the case.

>>60987274
>and bugs
Probably fan of those.
>>
>>60987274
also serious sam epic shootout feels like im in a u.s highschool every time i new map is loaded
>>
>>60986973
yeah, 1080p low settings you're good to go
>>
>>60987146
>A 7850 will still push medium settings 1080p60 in most games
It won't in the most recent games.
The Witcher 3: https://youtu.be/g5Babs4zMvI?t=109
Watch Dogs 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOFwnJiomo
Rise of the Tomb Raider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShFSDDA4BbA
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.