[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Distributed computing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

I have a fuckton of broken laptops all of which are old enough to drive so their processors are really shit, Is it possible to just combine them together power rangers style to give off good performance
>>
It is possible, though its going to be more effort than its worth
>>
>>60985255
Harvard PHD of computer science level effort?
>>
>>60985246
>combine them together power rangers style
I like you
>>
>>60985246
See >>60985255

>>60985345
Yeah, pretty close. You'd probably get the combined power of a low end modern desktop with 10x the power draw, meaning you'll have high bills and a warm house for basically nothing. Just buy a $100 Core2 Quad desktop. You can use the old laptops for hobbyist programming after you fix them up and install Gentoo. That's about all.
>>
You're looking for a Beowolf cluster. You can get good performance, but probably not the kind you want. It'll only be good for distributed workloads that don't require intercommunication. The latency and single-threaded performance will be shit; the only advantage is you get a large number of independent threads.
>>
>>60985246
make beowulf cluster
>>
>>60985345
No, just understanding how to program against apache spark or somesuch. Not that hard.

Or if you just want to compile gentoo, run distcc.
>>
>>60985246
youre basically creating your own amd cpu
>>
>>60985483
I installed Lubuntu on one of them and it's shiiiiiiit, Mint looks really cool though
>>
>>60986192
Use Debian or Gentoo with Openbox and Tint2. XFCE will also work of they have at least 1GB of RAM and a 1GHz CPU.
>>
PXE boot Arch on them, it auto launches an SSH server so you can just do all your shit like that.
If you need serious work done, write a script to install disk so you've got more package space to play with, maybe install VNC and i3
Debian is a bloated sack of steaming shit and you don't wanna wait for Gentoo to compile on them
>>
>>60985246
its much better to sell them and buy single modern PC.
>t. just finished a bewoulf project with old PCs compared to single modern 2 core 4 threads
>>
File: tables — kopia.png (24KB, 625x516px) Image search: [Google]
tables — kopia.png
24KB, 625x516px
>>60986924
picrelated
PC was singlecore athlon
v3515 core2duo l1310 celeron
>>
>>60985246
if you have free power set them to mine crypto
if not sell them and buy something better
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.