[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

give me a based history of linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: yes.png (7KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
7KB, 150x150px
go all out, teach me my masters
>>
>>60974818
Install Gentoo
>>
>>60974818
It was plagiarized by from Minix which Linus Torvalds rewrote in his own word. Then he name it after himself because his is a wanker.
>>
>>60974818
Stallman started the GNU project and all the work then linux basically rewrote minix and they were combined and now linus gets all the credit also slackware and debian happened pretty early on.
>>
>>60974818
Linux wouldn't have even happened if Linus knew about BSD, which is superior in every aspect.
>>
>>60974818
Some time during the late 60s and early 70s, some dudes at Bell Labs make an OS called UNIX, which becomes a form of standard of how operating systems should look like.

Some time during the late 70s, a guy called Richard Stallman working at MIT has so much trouble with his printer that he decides to just reverse engineer the bloody driver and fix the bug. However, the lab at MIT buys a newer printer and now the driver isn't so easily reverse engineered. There are even efforts in making reverse engineering harder and the printer company claims intellectual property. This tips off Stallman, as he was already borderline mentally unstable, and he goes on a long mission to create free software.

Some time during the late 80s, Stallman had created a compiler (GCC) and a userland (GNU) which everybody ran on their UNIX-based OSes. Even people who used Sun OS, replaced the default userland with GNU, because it was so freakin' awesome. However, Stallman, being an autistic and mentally unstable cunt, was too busy making sure that GCC was unextendable so that companies wouldn't come along and make proprietary extensions to it. All his time and effort was directed at pointless shit like this, so he didn't really have time to implement a kernel for his free operating system.

Some time during the 90s, a guy called Linus Torvalds wants an operating system for is i386. MINIX, which was a commonly UNIX-like OS used by many, had a license which was unsuitable for Linus' needs. He therefore wrote his own kernel and used the GNU userland.

Linux became more popular, and the creator of MINIX, Andrew Tanenbaum, was partly butthurt that Linux was more popular than MINIX, and partly butthurt about all the flakk microkernel design got from people who liked the monolithic design of Linux. Andrew and Linus had a major flamewar on some mailing list. This gave Linux even more fame, as Andrew was a famous computer scientist.

1 / 2
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (193KB, 1112x978px) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
193KB, 1112x978px
>>60974818
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw8K460vx1c
>>
>>60974931
He did know about BSD. BSD was having legal problems at the time. He even said if HURD or BSD had been out he wouldn't have wrote linux.
>>
>>60974964
Some time during the early 2000s, Steve Ballmer got seriously asspained by Linux, and launched a Microsoft FUD campaign against Linux. You can look up the infamous Halloween letters and the "total cost of ownership" campaign for more details. Anyway, the campaign backlashed, and Linux gained more popularity.

2 / 2
>>
>>60974964
>>60974987
I heard something about Ritchie and bell labs. What was going on between them?
>>
>>60975058
Dennis Ritchie worked for Bell Labs, what's your point?
>>
Linux is a shitty clone of minix which is basically retarded unix to teach babies how to program. It's pretty bad and archaic.
>>
>>60975069
Minix is a dead piece of shit
>>
>>60975065
Like Dennis tried to give Unix for free or something and bell labs did some shit there? Maybe I messed up memories in head.
>>
>>60975144
>Like Dennis tried to give Unix for free
No. You're probably mixing something up.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.