[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job interview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 21.jpg (74KB, 905x905px) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
74KB, 905x905px
Hello /g/, next week I have a job interview, and I would appreciate some advice --
my job is a help desk job, in a medium sized company

the things I am supposed to learn to the interview are
Office suite, Os(windows),Hardware and networking

My hardware knowledge is pretty good, office suite is no big deal.

The thing that worries me is OS knowledge and networking.

What would you expect of a guy to know about the OS and the networking?
Any specific problems that I should be ready for?
>>
>help desk

Don't let the job kill you
>>
>>60963172
80% of what you do will be turning it off and on again remotely. Because this is easier than explaining to somebody how to do it over the phone.

Networking will essentially require that you are able to identify a fault and resolve it. IE, turn it off and on again.

"OS" knowledge, unless the workplace has a heavy Linux presence, just means that you know how to install and customise software.

Job applications always big up on wording and "technicalities" to seem professional.
>>
>>60963172
Why does OS worry you?

Is it a help desk job for private users or office users?
Onsite or external help desk?
>>
>>60963172
How did you apply and what are your qualifications?
>>
>>60963335
I was wondering maybe they need some guy who is good with powershell and stuff, also there's windows 10 environments which I never used at all.
There's probably some stuff I don't know about Operating systems.

Also, its a 3-4 hour test. which is why I'm worried. it's half on paper half practical test

>>60963367
I was always interested in computers. the only thing I REALLY don't know is complex microsoft excel functions and stuff, never really used it.

I have a CCENT qualification(cisco) and I know a bit of programming and webdev.
I applied through a job searching site, they contacted me, had an interview today, passed it, next week is a knowledge test interview.
>>
>>60963197
Listen to this guy. The stress is real.
>>
OS knowledge. Well if it's Windows you don't really need any "OS knowledge", just try common sense and Google. If it's something more involved like Linux, then yes, you need a good understanding of the OS.

Me and 2 other co-workers support roughly 700 Linux desktops (Debian and Ubuntu). You must have a great interest in Linux and a good base knowledge to be able to support the platform. We handle almost every thing that touches the client side of things when it comes to Linux at my work. Some examples are like setting up configuration management (CFEngine), running a installation server (FAI), package management and planning for new distro releases (Debian Stretch!).
>>
For help desk:

- just know how to walk people through basic instructions, this is 90% of your job
- know how to delegate and document tickets to pass it off to another dept.
- try your best to develop some skill and move out of help desk asap because it's awful
>>
File: IMG_0905.gif (994KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0905.gif
994KB, 500x272px
Don't give it too much thought as you'll leave by yourself within two years at most.
>>
>>60963657
If you have a CCENT, you should be fine. Look up some CompTIA A+ practice questions if you're worried; they'll be similar to what you need. Anything harder than that, they will teach you on the job.

However, I once missed out on a job like this because I passed the first interview easily, then fucked up the competence test interview because they asked me to add a new user to the domain, and I added a new user locally to the machine. Adding users in Active Directory is probably as hard as this job is going to get.
>>
>>60963837
>just try common sense
"Common sense" is exactly what got Windows where it is today; a perti dish for malware.
"Common sense ain't so common".
Mark Twain.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.