[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no serious miniaturization effort in the PC space?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13

Let me preface this by saying I don't own an Xbox and never will but I just love the form factor of the latest consoles. The X in particular isn't much larger than a beefy ultrabook and it's got this amazing build quality smaller than any mini-itx.

So why can't we get these sorts of cases in the PC space? Consoles have already proven the components can be sufficiently miniaturized albeit with cutbacks so why hasn't it happened with PC?
>>
>>60961949
Modularity
>>
>>60961949
it's inefficient and pointless
>>
>>60961949
because it´s virtually impossible to properly provide extensions that are not ram and ssd/hdd
for such form-factors
just take a look at the laptop-market for that
there´s only a handful of replaceable gpus and none of the laptops that can replace them are particularly small or liked by normies
and if you don´t want to change the hardware i´m sure there are prebuilds in that formfactor
>>
Miniturization is what you do when progress is stalled. It's what you do to existing technologies.

The PC market is constantly changing technology, the lifespan of a single console can see drastic changes in PC hardware and processes.

Once the architecture stalls and can go no further everything else will start to shrink.
>>
File: l_6351.jpg (39KB, 212x400px) Image search: [Google]
l_6351.jpg
39KB, 212x400px
>>60961949
You mean a barebone?
>>
>it's got this amazing build quality smaller than any mini-itx.
shill harder retard
>>
>>60961969
Pretty much this, unless you want single board PCs without replaceable parts your stuck with what we have now.
Sure you can stick a i7 and a 1080 ti in the same form factor as a xbone but kiss decent cooling and upgradeablity goodbye
>>
Basically been said already, but it's actually a meme. It's pointless to shrink everything at the expense of upgradability and compatibility.

If you want "muh mini console pc", look at the steam machines or Alienware's slim towers. You'll pay for the miniaturization, and it won't perform as well as bigger hardware, but if you must have something small there's a niche market for it.
>>
>>60962041
What a load of shit, miniaturisation is part of the natural flow of technological progress. Do you think processor dies are getting smaller for no reason at all?
>>
>>60962446
Yeah but there's shrinking a CPU to get more performance, then there's shrinking the actual case footprint which makes cooling harder and limits the size if everything. Not the same thing
>>
>>60962446
>processor dies are getting smaller

No they're not.

In fact I'm fairly sure they are getting larger.
>>
>>60961969
>>60961982
>>60962033
>>60962041
/thread
>>
>>60961949
Search for S4 mini.
>>
>>60962050
>hurrrr I don't like consoles so they're bag a shit and you're full of shit
Back to >>>/9gag/ faggot
>>
>>60961949
You mean like RasPI? Intel compute stick? Any recent ultrabook?

There's plenty of miniaturization going on, the average desktop computer just doesn't need to be any smaller than it already is.
>>
>>60961949
Because it's a serious pain in the ass for everyone involved that arguably runs contrary to the main purpose of the device class.

The primary advantage of desktops is precisely that they don't need to conform to strict space constraints and so can fit more drives, more cooling, more cards, etc. Trying to make them smaller is missing the point, just as it would be missing the point to ask "Why don't we see bigger phones that can fit i7 CPUs and liquid coolers for them?".

Besides, you can get very small form factor cases, you just have to be very careful about your choice of GPU & CPU cooler because of the space issues, something all the manufacturers would have to do instead of just the few people who want small form factors machines if this were to be really pursued by the industry as a whole.
>>
>>60961949
> So why can't we get these sorts of cases in the PC space?
There are many. Try not being blind on the internet.
>>
File: gamecube_motherboard.jpg (65KB, 619x480px) Image search: [Google]
gamecube_motherboard.jpg
65KB, 619x480px
Miniaturization of consoles has gone backwards anyway.

Perfection for 3D was already attained by the GameCube and for 2D by the PC Engine.
>>
Because we have reached the limit of computing power vs power consumption and can expect only incremental advances. That is if nothing completely different isn't brought to the table
>>
>>60962790
I think you're the winner of the thread so far.

We have plenty of miniaturization in PCs, we call them fucking laptops.
>>
File: fitlet-h.jpg (20KB, 640x230px) Image search: [Google]
fitlet-h.jpg
20KB, 640x230px
>>60962950
We also have plenty of miniaturization PCs without screens.

They are not laptops, no.
>>
>>60962446
>processor dies are getting smaller
Small dies more chips per waffer.
>>
>>60961949
>>
>>60961982
It is efficient in terms of space, so not entirely inefficient.
>>
File: apple_mac_g4_cube.jpg (36KB, 728x435px) Image search: [Google]
apple_mac_g4_cube.jpg
36KB, 728x435px
>>60962934
GC was high tier, mother fucker had a handle on it. The G4 seemed like a good idea and I guess Apple still does Mac Minis.
>>
File: IMG_0682.jpg (297KB, 1920x1256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0682.jpg
297KB, 1920x1256px
>>60963014
>>60963045
If you want, you can have a x86_64 computer in USB stick format.

Won't get much smaller than that.
>>
>>60963098
>USB
>Has an HDMI connector
>>
>>60963098
I get seriously nervous even looking at those things, how often do the heads snap off I wonder. I like the idea but they need to do something about the connector, even with a cable it's scary.
>>
>>60963123
I have a USB dongle with a bulky, heavy body and it didn't take very long for the head to become loose and start having connection issues. It was also cheaply made and that Intel one looks much better, but I could see it suffering from the same issue after a while.
>>
>>60963000
Can you even get a good mxm card for that?
And where from? Chinks on ebay?
>>
>>60963123
I never snapped any of mine off, but it probably has to do with my displays not positioning them so I will walk into them or whatever.
>>
>>60961969

There have been two times that I've fixed 360s with slipping disk drives, which because of the way everything is compacted together, means taking apart the whole thing to clean one belt, and then putting the whole thing back together.

Fuck that.

Give me a standard tower where I can get right to the parts.
>>
>>60961949
I want to kick you in the testicles until you cry.

With miniaturisation comes a complete lack of customizeability and flexibility.

You can pry my mid tower ATX from my cold dead fingers, console loving scrub.
>>
>>60963761
Hey now, calm down. This is a nice board.
>>
>>60963119
Not him but "USB Stick FORMAT", try reading what you're replying to next time.
>>
File: 4[1].jpg (385KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
4[1].jpg
385KB, 1280x960px
>>60961949
mini ITX cases are already small enough, it's a non-issue.
>>
>>60964131
Form factor is the phrase you want.

Fucking pleb.
>>
>>60964131
shoud b "HDMI stick FORMAT"
>>
>>60964352
As I said, I didn't wrote that, his point still came across and it also would for the guy I replied to if he weren't retarded.

>>60964361
"USB Stick Format" = "It looks like a pendrive", I suppose that's what the first Anon meant.
>>
>>60964402
Autism detected.
>>
Also cooling and thermal throttling

A laptop with a GTX1060 is going to cost way more than a desktop with the same 1060, it's going to be loud as fuck and blow 90* air at full speed while you're using it. A large desktop with 2 1080tis in SLI can be made nearly silent, and hidden away under your desk where the size doesn't matter.
>>
>>60964349
>mini ITX
They aren't as small as they could be and the graphics card is still a foot long.
>>
>>60965935
>gayming
Hitler killed the wrong people and was a couple decades too early
>>
>>60966218
Consumer gaming has spurred most of the computer development in the last decade.
>>
>>60964349
Side question, is the Node 202 one of my only favorable options for a Mini ITX build? Assuming I want a full sized graphics card inside.
>>
>>60961949
My sausage hands can't fit inside the case.
>>
>>60961949
Because there are hundreds of different PC component manufacturers and they design their shit to work with a well-defined, standardized interface.

If you want an efficient, miniature system built for a specific purpose (gaming), you need to collaborate with some manufacturers, or fucking build it yourself. Hence, gaming consoles.
>>
>>60961949
>muh atx compatibility
>since 1995
>>
>>60963167

Mostly. Nobody commercially resells MXM cards, really. And no OEM sells them either to system builders. Most MXM cards on the market are reclaimed from laptops or machines that use them, or bulk units that weren't used at a factory and sold off.
>>
>>60961982
The point is portability
>>
File: 20170409_171354.jpg (1MB, 1000x1778px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_171354.jpg
1MB, 1000x1778px
>>60964349
good god that's a big bitch
>>
>>60970131
What case is this? Looks good anon
>>
>>60970033
>>60970033
1% of people who build these SFF PC's will move it outside for something other than a picture. The point is to build a small PC as it's seen as 'difficult'.
It's just a sweeping fad, reinforced by vendors bending knee to customers who want dumb tiny shit at the expense of noise, heat and money.

I personally subscribe to function before form, which is fine, because all that means in building a PC is picking a regular sized case.
>>
>>60970131
>>60964349
Ah that thoroughly enormous ATX cable along with the full-size DIMMs.

SO-DIMMs and a newer not-ATX standard that only supplies 12V (and some 5V to legacy drives and standby power) would shave off plenty of cabling for the same wattage. Full-size DIMMs should have died on non-servers with DDR2.
>>
>>60970399
nfc s4 mini, my friend

>>60970464
only way to save space at this point is with mxm
>>
>>60961949
Most of the blame can be placed on GPU manufacturers. Pretty much every other section of parts has made a decent effort in shrinking products.

- Very healthy amount of small motherboards.
- Decent amount of small power supplies.
- Lots of options for small storage devices.
- Very good small cooling solutions.

While there has been small most still are pretty large and have been a bit of a design trouble for small form factor systems.

If Nvidia were to do what AMD did with the Nano and AMD were to continue to put out products like it we might start to see some headway. Then again a lot of this lies on the OEMs.
>>
>>60970432
I wanted one because I move constantly fuck
>>
>>60962993
Also less parasitic capacitance.
>>
File: Mac-Mini-VS-Mac-Pro.jpg (43KB, 635x403px) Image search: [Google]
Mac-Mini-VS-Mac-Pro.jpg
43KB, 635x403px
>>
File: What.jpg (59KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
What.jpg
59KB, 337x367px
1. Because we like airflow.
2. Because airflow means good cooling.
3. Because good cooling means good oveclocking.
4. Because good cooling means no throttling.
5. Because smaller transistors doesn't mean you should shrink the hardware holding them. It means you can stuff more transistors in the same hardware without shrinking anything.

Miniaturization is something only narrow-minded and short-sighted idiots argue for.
>>
>>60961949
>>60971715
I remember having to come to a friends house every so often because he'd get red ring of death every time the XBOX shut down due to overheating.
Take that shit apart, clean it out, reapply thermal material. "see you in four months bro"
>>
>>60961949
> Why is there no serious miniaturization effort in the PC space?
Are you kidding me. There are 11" laptops, 5" UMPCs, mini-ITX, mini-DTX, pico-ITX boards.
>>
>i just love this form factor where the components are getting fried with no airflow with the already shitty mobile CPU's being factory underclocked in order to survive

I think you should kill yourself OP.
>>
What OP doesn't understand is that it is more difficult to miniaturize things if you are maintaining modularity.

If you remove sockets and stick the CPU and GPU on the same board it takes up much less space to connect them, but you also cannot upgrade or replace in any way.
>>
Mini cases are a pain in the ass to clean and the general maintenance is really inconvenient. As it is with consoles. They eat up a bit of dust overtime and start being noisier than a jet engine.
And that brings me to my other point, they are fucking noisy because of the far shittier cooling.
I'd rather have a big box that is quiet than a small box that sounds like a fucking jet taking off.
>>
>>60970923
this tbqh, although at this point I'm transient enough I'll probably just get a large laptop
>>
File: largepng.png (108KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
largepng.png
108KB, 600x328px
>>60961949
>Why is there no serious miniaturization effort in the PC space?

which year you came from kind traveller?
>>
>>60971985
>remove sockets
>remove cooling
>800mhz
>>
>>60970131
>single channel

I know it's insignificant, but still...
>>
>>60970033
get a laptop if you want portability.
>>
>>60971985
You got the right example there.
I'm just so gay for my XPS13... send help.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.