[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Software Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Hannover Fist.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hannover Fist.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Let''s talk about software. What is the most important software in use currently? What are the coolest projects you've worked on? Any cool facts or insights?

>http://www-users.math.umn.edu/~arnold/disasters/patriot.html
>http://cis1.towson.edu/~cssecinj/links-resources/real-life-examples/
>>
bump please software is a topic worth talking about
>>
>>60954374
please
>>
didn't you hear?
this is /g/ - Consumerism.
>>
File: 1486491373421.jpg (350KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1486491373421.jpg
350KB, 1200x1200px
Most important software to me:

-Linux ! It runs the freaking world.
-GCC is one of the building block of almost everything you use. Somewhere to produce the tools you are using, GCC was used.
-LLVM. LLVM will be here 30 years from now and people will create truly beautiful things with it (like they already did with Crystal and Rust for example). It will be as essential in our toolchain as GCC is today.

Software that I love :

-Emacs. My emacs set-up is where I truly feel at home ! Humanity has no good writing tool, but emacs is the closest to it because you can use lisp to. Vim modal editing is really good, but it lacks the programability given by emacs lisp, where I can write code so my editor let me manipulate text at the speed of my mind.
-Emulators in general. They preserve so much of the software/games material that humans have worked on over the year ! I try to gather as much emulators and roms as possible.
-Latex. I don't write research articles but it allow me to make beautiful, consistent documents with no effort. Once you tried it, WYSIWYG editing is hell.

Cool projects I work on :

-All kind of procedural generations of content, mostly using basic noise techniques for generating images. I am going to buff up in statistics and analysis so I can use advanced techniques (mostly machine learning) to go to the next level ! I have a really cool project once I'm here but I can't speak of it for now, hehe.
-A setup for data hoarding. It will be composed of several component : I collect lot of images from chans, so there will be a web UI for tagging content. Once I've done that several thousands of times, I will be able to run classification ML algorithms and that problem will be sorted. There will be also several scrappers/content fetching scripts exploring the web for discovering content I might like. And there will be the core of the system, think of Hydrus, but much better made and that will not jeopardize your files !
>>
For me is Jupyter, man it's freaking comfy and LaTeX to write my articles. Also I use some to learn music like solfeg and lenmus.
>>
>>60957206
Thank you for the bump, kind anon.
>>60957410
Thank you for the quality post! I'd love to see your emulator collection.
>>
>>60957410
>Vim modal editing is really good, but it lacks the programability given by emacs lisp

Spacemacs

Neovim

I admire emacs for its extensibility and philosophy, unlike fucking Bram and his one-man ego shitfest. The 2 worst things about vim are Bram and vimscript. It's all a spaghetti mess. But I can't deal with the ctrl meta shift bullshit. Vim modal editing is so firmly rooted in my workflow. My Visual Studio has a really complete effective vim emulator plugin installed and I can't go back.

>"Oh there's a cool neat way to do that in emacs, you just navigate there and press Ctrl I Meta P Meta Shift Q."
Fuck that. In vim the same command will be 1 or 2 key presses. And you don't inadvertently enter text unless you want to.

Vim just falls over when people who like spending 4 hours a day configuring their environment try to hack it into the ultimate IDE.
>>
I would love to talk about how my generation is going into a really bad role, in the corporate environment must programs are made just to deliver, not enough error handling I'm not talking about big software but rather business SW that small consulting groups make, I'm just 24 years old but I think my seniors are really following bad practices.... I've changed jobs like 3 times as a software developer and all they sucked because of that, also the time they take to deliver is really frustrating.... Wtf is going on?
>>
>>60958725

It's not a generation thing. Software has always been like that.

Business is business. They're morons who don't understand code, even when their entire business revolves around some sort of witchcraft called "see sharp". The monkeys go slave away 8 hours a day and they pat themselves on the back for their insightful business acumen that allowed it all to happen.

Then they go cash their fat paycheques.

See, software isn't a tangible real world thing like engineering where a layman can see the effects of a shitty bodge job that doesn't work.
>>
>>60959194
That's what so cool about software, in a way. It's all intangible but it is also has real impact. Just thinking about the massive amount of transactions that take place every day and rely on software is pretty cool. Concerning, but also impressive.
>>
sia.tech is p neat
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.