[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

howto get a copy of Windows 8 Home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

So /g/ I'm going to sell my old laptop and I need a copy of Windows 8, I believe it's Windows 8 Home.

I've searched and there doesn't appear to be any way of downloading it from Microsoft. I'd like a Microsoft option but I'd also be happy with any magnet link to a "pirated" version as long as it's basically what OEMs get.

I immediately removed the Windows infestation and wiped the HDD and installed GNU/Linux without even starting Windows when I got it. This means that the "recovery" partition every "helpful" website speaks about is long gone.

I have found out that the laptop has a Windows key written into the BIOS and I have extracted this key with acpidump. I'm fairly sure it will work with the exact Windows version this laptop came with and I'm fairly certain that's Windows 8 Home. There's an ugly sticker under it that says "Windows 8", not "Windows 8.1" and I'm guessing they didn't ship any "Pro" or "Enterprise" version with it.

I'm getting rather frustrated. Before anyone writes something as stupid as "just buy Windows", no I'm not going to pay as much as I'll get for this old laptop for a new copy of Windows and doing so makes no sense anyway since I already have two legal Windows keys (my new laptop was also Windows-infected but there's no recovery partition or traces of Windows on that one either).
>>
>>60953739
fuck of
>>
>>60953739
use kinguin or w/e its called for a key, then download windows 8 using the "windows iso download utility" (google that to find it), then use "rufus" to make a bootable usb, then install windows
>>
Windows 8 is discontinued.
8.1 is ending support soon
10 is your best option at this point.
>>
>>60953764
or if you dont care if its activated just download it using the utility and install.

also, u dont need windows 8 home just bc its what ur laptop shipped with. it could run 7 or 10 as well
>>
>>60953739
Windows 8 isn't supported by Microsoft anymore which is probably why you are having a hard time finding a copy of it.

>>60953762
Good job bumping the thread faggot.
>>
>>60953764
>use kinguin or w/e its called for a key,
I don't need a key, I have the one for the Windows that it came with from acpidump (it was written to the BIOS).

>>60953764
>windows iso download utility
This is a Windows .exe file. Doesn't run in WINE.

Keep in mind that I don't have a Windows infected computer and I don't want one.

My goal is just to restore the Windows version the laptop came with using the original key that's in it's BIOS (which I have extracted) so I can sell it to some normie Windows-user. I'll probably have a harder time selling it with GNU/Linux on it.

>>60953773
>>60953790
>Windows 8 is discontinued
What does that mean? That some torrent is my only hope?

Windows 10 would be an option but I don't have a key for that (the Windows 8 key won't work, or will it?).
>>
>>60953834
>>Windows 8 is discontinued
It isn't getting any more updates, like Windows XP and Vista.
>>
>>60953836
I appreciate your offer but wouldn't that just put me in the exact same predicament as I'm in now?

I have a Windows 8 key (from the laptops BIOS) but no installation media or way to use it.

..so if I get your key I'll have a Windows Vista key but no installation media or way to use it. Unless someone here can suggest something that would make this help.. it probably won't.

>>60953851
>It isn't getting any more updates
I honestly don't care about that. It won't be my problem. I just want to be able to put up an advertisement for the laptop and sell it and not have complaints that it's got GNU/Linux and not Windows like normies use on it. It won't matter to me if the potential buyer will have to upgrade their Windows or not get updates.
>>
>>60953851
>What does that mean?
8 is only supported by upgrading to Windows 8.1. Otherwise, Microsoft doesn't provide support. It literally went the way of XP.

>>60953903
At any rate can't you just do this stupid shit here and get away with it. I'm not reading because I'm too lazy.

https://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/
>>
>>60953739
that key is already activated and bound to the device it is currently running on retard you can't use it on your new laptop do you not understand OEM licenses?
>>
>>60954011
Try reading before you post.

My new laptop is fine. It came infected with Windows and I've replaced that with GNU/Linux.

The old laptop has GNU/Linux and I'd like to re-infect it with Windows so I can sell it. None of those Windows keys are used for anything. Both have OEM Windows keys that are not used for anything. Thus, I have two valid Windows keys and no installation media to get Windows on the old laptop.

I simply want to sell the old laptop. I don't want or need that joke of an OS for my personal usage.
>>
>>60954138
Find a torrent with the ISO of the image you want, google the MD5sum or SHA-1sum of the ISO file, and if you get a bunch of results from official Microsoft pages, it's a legit image.
>>
>>60954337
I've found just one .iso file that said "Windows 8 32bit and 64bit" but it doesn't match any md5sum and it's got a .txt file in there when I mount it named w8pro_install_key.txt so I suspect it's not the one I need. It also didn't work when I wrote that ISO to a USB stick with unetbootin and tried to boot the laptop off that.

I'm actually tired of this already and I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble. I won't get that much for my old laptop and figuring this out is rather frustrating. For example, the tools that is recommended and mentioned everywhere I look in search results (like this "rufus") seem to be Windows only. I don't have (or want) a Windows computer.

I don't get why this is so hard. With GNU/Linux I just go to the distros page and click download and I get a working ISO that I can easily put on a USB stick and then I can boot off that just fine and install in 5 minutes. I could probably have installed GNU/Linux on 100 laptops during the time I've wasted trying to figure out how to get Windows installed using a legal key that I actually own (since that laptop originally came with Windows).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.