[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is liquid nitrogen cooling practical? This is very important to me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1467494899404.jpg (916KB, 828x858px) Image search: [Google]
1467494899404.jpg
916KB, 828x858px
Is liquid nitrogen cooling practical?

This is very important to me
>>
No, because you need a constant supply of liquid nitrogen; which continually boils off.
>>
No, you lunatic
>>
If you ever had a leak in your line, you could suffocate and die.

Cooling that intense might also lead to problems with condensation inside your case.
>>
File: 1494959463972.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1494959463972.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>>60948062
>Intelfags need liquid nitrogen to prevent their house from burning down

LMAO
>>
>>60948111
Plus it's expensive, difficult to store properly, and you'd have problems keeping the coolant cool enough to stay liquid.

Consider using water? Or, if that's running too hot, alcohol?
>>
>>60948073
This assumes I have a small quantity. Don't worry I'm covered here.

>>60948111
Regarding condensation, what could I do to prevent such issues?

>>60948125
I use ryzen but I would consider this for the i9 given those recent stats
>>
>>60948062
For any problem, there are hundreds of excuses as to why, and how - it can't, and shouldn't - be done.. But in this infinite universe, it's really just a matter of determination - as to whether YOU will make it happen.
>>
>>60948169
Are you saying we haven't done it yet and therefore shouldn't do it due to it being new territory?
>>
>>60948166
Fighting condensation? I suppose you could keep the room the computer is in relatively cool, in addition to having your computer case be closed and hooked up to a dry air supply.

This is getting beyond what you might want in your house, though. What kind of heat troubles are you having that might make you consider liquid nitrogen?
>>
>>60948062

Preordered an i9?
>>
>>60948221
It's solely novelty and learning about the CPU/gpu heat readings under intense cooling.

Containment and practicality are not my concern here, learning and data is. And to my knowledge have not seen someone else do this yet, and we already have liquid cooled psus so why not take it a step further, especially since i9s are already proving to be a practical problem
>>
File: (you).jpg (112KB, 573x572px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
112KB, 573x572px
>>60948062
>>
>>60948266
I see.

I once saw a facebook blurb about a prototype cooling method, though I'm sorry I don't know the name of it. It involved directly submerging parts in a non-conductive liquid that evaporates relatively easily. The "hot", gaseous coolant would rise away from the parts and into a condenser/heat exchanger.

I thought it was p neat, and it's a lot more feasible than a liquid nitrogen cooling line being used outside of an industrial setting. If hypothetical cooling solutions interest you, I'd start there.
>>
>>60948062
wew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZpW0h9z4o
>>
>>60948062

LN2 Cooling or Liquid Hydrogen Cooling is already used in overclocking record attempts.
It is not practical, as the coldness itself not only adversely effects the performance of the processor (there is a reason why things have an operating temperature range), but also physically damages the processor, socket, and more. Typically, overclocking attempts that use LN2, go into it KNOWING that they're literally destroying the parts, to get their attempt.
>>
>>60948437
You might have been thinking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-2

It used a fluoride-based non-conductive liquid and heat exchangers to keep the whole thing cool.
>>
>>60948497
>Liquid Hydrogen Cooling is already used in overclocking record attempts
I would like to see that. Just before the whole thing takes to the skies in a gigantic fireball.
>>
Why not just use freon refrigiration?
>>
>>60948166
Condensation occurs whenever air is cooled below its dewpoint. Your options are don't cool the air, lower the moisture content and therefore the the dewpoint of the air, or make sure the condensation doesn't get on the electronics.

Insulation keeps you from cooling the air as much and keeps the insulation off the electronics. There's some insulation that goes on as a liquid and solidifies. I think that's how most liquid nitrogen overclockers do it. Anything that you cool down below dewpoint is at risk for condensation. So if the other side of the mobo gets that cold you're going to have to insulate there as well.

Drip loops are your friend too.
>>
>>60948764
>freon
>toxic
>from the family of CFCs, which contribute to global warming
>strictly controlled
That's just a bad idea all around, though it was meant to replace things like ammonia(!) refrigeration. It's kind of a catch-22, I guess.
>>
>>60948437
Sounds like a convoluted version of mineral oil cooling.
>>
>>60948259
>Liquid Nitrogen
>i9
what are you doing anon? that shit ain't going to cut it.

You need Liquid Helium to get <100°C temps
>>
>>60948877
is liquid nitrogen not strictly controlled?
>>
>>60948062
Phase change would be far more efficient if you aren't trying to break a world record.
>>
>>60950175
No, it's non-combustible, and generally safe and easy to store in steel containers. The worst thing that would happen if one ruptured would be a minor outgassing, which isn't a problem if you aren't in a confined space with it.
>>
Wouldn't the casing metal become brittle after being exposed to the liquid nitrogen?
>anon bumps his desk while getting up
>pc is now in pieces
>>
>>60950287
Not nearly enough for the situation you described
>>
>>60950287
>>60950394
But the solder joints on the mother board will. Praise ROHS and terrible lead-free solder.
>>
>>60948761
diatomic nitrogen doesnt burn
>>
How about condenser cooling? Like a fridge case.
>>
>>60950587
>terrible lead-free solder.
>wanting lead in materials you're often around
It's like you WANT to get cancer.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.