[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best Linux desktop environment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: tux.png (27KB, 904x1067px) Image search: [Google]
tux.png
27KB, 904x1067px
What is the best Linux desktop environment?
>>
xfce
>>
>>60924161
The one you didn't need so you uninstalled it.
>>
>>60924161
install gentoo
>>
>>60924161
Xfce, personal taste.
>>
>>60924161
ZorinDE
>>
CLI
>>
Really grew to like Unity.
>>
>>60924320
Too bad
>>
>>60924161
Plasma
>>
File: giphy.gif (517KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
517KB, 250x250px
>>60924161
I don't use a complete enviroment, for me the basics are Openbox + LXPanel + PCManFM
>>
>>60924161
Cinnamon. Best balance between Aesthetics, Functionality and Performance IMO.
>>
rio,9term/st,maybe dmenu.
>>
Gnome 3.

I never understood the hate it got. It was the most stable and usable DE I ever tried. I never had to google how to do something basic in it. It looks pretty tidy.

it's probably because you can't rice it.
>>
>>60924320
Same. I kinda feel bad Ubuntu will switch to GNOME by default.
>>
>>60924200
>shit taste
>>
>>60924200
Cant be best without high dpi scaling
>>
>>60924446
>you can't rice it.
(you)
>>
The one you make yourself.
Using out-of-the-box desktop environment on GNU/Linux makes no sense because Currysoft Windows and macOS does it better.

Value of a system like this for an enthusiast comes directly from it's customizability and tailoring to user-specific needs. You're literally wasting it's potential by not doing what you can do

Unless you're talking about equipping a bunch of office computers to use GNU/Linux.
Then probably whatever KDE version is considered the most stable if you have the resources to run it at-not-slug-pace. Gnome3 is too unorthodox for normies to wrap their heads around.
>>
>>60924450

I get the feeling they will may slap Gnome into shape and make it look like Unity, which is fine by me.
>>
i3wm.
>>
>>60924446
For starters, GTK3 file dialog is atrocious and was designed for humanoids
>>
>>60924161
cant decide if i want kde
>>
>>60924528
/thread
>>
>>60924446
I support GNOME 3 but i agree with haters, it's nearly unusable out of the box.
Also retarded filepicker (surprised no one patched it still) and scrollwheel not working when dropdown menu howered.
>>
>>60924583
I consider it more like "build your own DE" framework for distro mainteiners. So sad only Shuttlewort understood the GNOME's real purpose.
Tho.
>>
>>60924161
The one you've tailored yourself.
>>
>>60924446
it's a tablet interface
I wouldn't even use it on a tablet though
>>
Emacs + EXWM
>>
>>60924161

stuff from suckless
>>
>>60924161
KDE without a doubt.
>>
>>60924161
RHEL7
>>
>>60924543
You are now aware that humans are humanoids.
>>
>>60924161
Xfce and KDE are my two favorites, personally usong KDE right now.
>>
is LXQT even good?
>>
>>60926981
QT
No, it isn't.
>>
Zsh
>>
>>60924161
Gnome
>>
newb here, been using manjaro kde. How different will open suse kde be? Can I make open suse kde to be like manjaro's default kde easily? Tired of manjaro's package manager
>>
>>60924426
I'm completely new to Linux, trying to escape Windows. Can you give me some resources to help me learn what the hell you even mean by "I don't use a complete environment?" or at least some keywords to point my google search in the right direction?

I'm not going to get into something that sounds as above my paygrade as that, but I'd like to learn more about it.
>>
>>60924161
Aqua
>>
Spring Board
>>
>>60924161
KDE or LXDE depending on what kind of machine you are using.
>>
>>60927807
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_environment
>>
MATE or CINNAMON
>>
>>60928048
Thank you!
>>
>>60927799
Who isn't? Lemme guess:

>50% of the packages are outdated
>the ones that aren't don't even fucking work, and the maintainers said "WELL ITS NOT MY FAULT, ITS THE _____" and doesn't try to fix it
>tons of stuff is missing

Also >can't use debtap to convert .debs
>>
>>60924166

fpbp
>>
>>60928063
Cinnamon.
>>
>>60928901
>giant fucking padding in the right side of the file manager sidebar
>choppy animations for expose which cant be turned off
why do you retards keep shilling this meme DE
>>
DWM... all the way...
>>
>>60924161
Openbox
>>
>>60924161
What ever you prefer you pretentious prick
>>
Fluxbox
>>
Unity unironically, hope Canonical somewhat fixes the flawed crap that Gnome Shell is.
>inb4 Gnome shell is good
Tell me why there are so much forks of that abhorrent crap?
>>
openbox/i3
>>
Who would like to have access to a telco management system, its running on NewStart Linux with an Oracle DB
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.