[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: gtk-vs-qt.jpg (134KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
gtk-vs-qt.jpg
134KB, 1024x512px
>>
Many applications can't use the KDE global menu function because there's no Qt support. Qt sucks.
>>
>the GNU's Not UNiplexed Information and Computing Service Image Manipulation Program ToolKit
>>
GTK is fucking trash so QT wins by default.
>>
The one the new G'MIC for Gimp uses: Qt
>>
>>60918409
They're both fucking shit.
>>
How is Tk/TCL? How about Tk/Lua?
>>
>>60918422
>Unsupported therefore it's shit
You're everything wrong with FOSS faggot
>>
Qt uses C++ so it must be shit
>>
>>60918860
gtk tries to make C be OOP what's your point
>>
qt is breddy chitty

the license is also of concern.
>inb4 gnutard
>>
File: desktop-startmenu-final.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
desktop-startmenu-final.png
2MB, 1600x900px
Lumina uses QT and it's pretty good. QT must be the winner then.
>>
gtk = c/c++
wxwidgets = c++
qt = c++

if you use c gtk is your onlx option if usóóyou use c++ you have a bunch of options.though gtk is my favorite
>>
Qt forever always.
>>
>>60919362
Just add a module written in C++ to interface with the GUI. The core of your application should be separate from the graphic interface anyway.
>>
>>60918838
Shit software != unusable software
>>
>>60918671
This, but unfortunately the alternatives are even worse. Even all native widget libraries on all other platform, no exception.

>>60918860
Still better than using C for a toolkit.
>>
>>60919417
>The core of your application should be separate from the graphic interface anyway.
Yeah, good luck trying to do that for any application with a realtime viewport.
>>
GTK was hijacked by Red Hat, therefore it's shit.
Plus, their plans for GTK 4 and onwards are so retarded and inconvenient that everyone should be migrating to QT or forking GTK already.
>>
>>60920170
Is there a reason why we can't just use gtk2 forever?
>>
>>60918409
QT is ugly as shit.

Have fun will all your programs looking autistic
>>
>>60918409
gtk devs are fucking idiots
so qt by default

should switch to it myself, but I'm a lazy cunt

>>60919086
qt is gpl'd, unless you pay for a closed source license, what license worries are there now?

>>60918721
tk is easy, but looks wholly awful on not-windows and fairly awful even there where it is using (old, win9x-style) native controls
dumb as heck
>>
>>60920170
>forking a toolkit
Toolkits require much manpower. Consider Verdigris, a Qt fork that is dead in the water.
If you fork a toolkit you need an army of programmers or at least a really good team.
>>
FLTK ;^)
>>
>>60920226
see >>60920215
fltk doesnt even has enough manpower to put up an ok website
>>
>>60920207
Qt is LGPL'd. You don't have to open source your program as long as you link to shared libraries. I bet that's the part that worries him
>>
>>60920915
GTK is LGPL just like 99% of FOSS libraries. There's nothing to be concerned about.
>>
>>60918409
the one that's relevant outside linux's 2% desktop market share
>>
>>60920185
it was designed around X and everyone is trying to give up on X
at least, that's why the GTK team was pushing GTK3, so it's probably an awful answer
>>
>>60921153
Well xwayland will be around for at least another 20 years.
>>
Are there any patched for Ubuntu to add a thumbnail view to GTK2 and 3?
>>
>>60921486
For GTK2 there's a patch for icon view in the upload dialog. You have to patch glib2 and gtk2. The glib2 patch still works fine no problem.
gist.github.com/ahodesuka

ahodesuka's gtk2 patch is outdated (for 2.24.30-3) and breaks with the latest version, 2.24.31-1. However, I did go through it and rather simply fix it for 2.24.31-1 and it works fine for me. I'm not sure if ahodesuka has completely abandoned it or not, but in the mean time the 2.24.31-1 version of the patch is here.
gist.github.com/Dudemanguy911

Sorry stupid spam filter.
>>
>>60921607
Oh yeah, and I'm not sure if there is a simple way to make packages for ubuntu (never tried it), but I would suggest patching the source and then making a package out of that since you are fucking with gtk2 and glib2. You'd want your package manager to know those are present on the system otherwise you'll get a bunch of annoying error messages.
>>
GTK2 because I'm used to it and its file manager is the only decent one. Updates forced me to use GTK3's and it's shit it's all flat and material and it's got animations and it just sucks.

QT is alright, don't like the KDE file manager either but using QT stuff isn't the worst thing anymore.
>>
>>60920201
this
>>
>>60918409
Qt has tons of widgets but the one (ONE) thing that kills Qt is that it's written in Qt
>>
>>60918409
tk/motif > qt > gtk+
>>
>>60921728
>and its file manager is the only decent one
lol?
>>
>>60918409
Qt for windows

GTK for loonix
>>
>>60918721
Tcl is fucking weird, but you get used to it.
Is supports imperative, OO, and functional programming.
You just have to get used to everything being a string, and the difference between {} and ""
>>
>>60920116
The majority on this board are schoolkids, they look at the languages from the academic perspective not from the practical one. They praise C and Haskell because these languages are good for starters to get understanding the basic concepts. Don't take them seriously.
>>
>>60918409
Whichever one realizes that rolling their own containers and templating libraries was a mistake and refactors to use C++ stdlib and STL as God intended.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.