[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LINUX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: fr.jpg (19KB, 408x317px) Image search: [Google]
fr.jpg
19KB, 408x317px
So i'm new to Linux. I've installed some distros in the past, and always ended up switching back to Windows for gaming. Anyway, I don't play games as much as I used to, so I figured I'd give it another roll.

So today I have a buddy over, and I'm explaining to him some of the cool things about Linux. I was showing off apt-get, explaining it's a pretty cool and quick way to get software. He asks me "can you install minesweeper with it?" I say "Yeah sure probably".

A quick Google search showed me there was a Debian package called games-minesweeper. I installed it, and its dependencies, and then I literally spent 2 hours trying to find and run that package, and I still haven't been able to. My logical thinking process was as follows:

Let me try just typing the package name into the Terminal: failed: bash: games-minesweeper: command not found
Ok, let's see if there's a link on the desktop or in the application menu: no, there wasn't
Hmm, let me try to find it with "locate mine": nothing looking like Minesweeper found with that name
That's odd, let me get out of this terminal and try to search for it in the desktop file manager:
Mines & sgt-mines. This looks promising. I double click both files: "There was an error launching the application" & "Could not display sgt-mines"
Looks like sgt-mines is a library. Mines is probably the right file. Let's try installing the recommended dependencies for game-minesweeper (gnome-mines, and kmines) Did that: "There was an error launching the application"
Let me try launching that file from the terminal. I navigate to it in terminal and notice it has a .desktop extension. I enter the filenames including the .desktop extension: bash: sgt-mines.desktop: command not found
Hmm, what is a .desktop file? Google search. Oh it's a link. Where is the executable it's linking to? Let me examine the file contents with vim:
No file path? That is weird. Is this even the package I installed? I give up. I have no idea wtf I am doing. Advice?
>>
I don't have this problem.
>>
>>60907535
lol showoff

I'm on Kali. Maybe it's just useless for anything but network tools?
>>
>>60907513
Stay away from Linux. We are full.
>>
>>60907547
Kali is a poor distro as a daily driver. Ubuntu is great if you stick with LTS releases and want a stable system.
>>
>>60907547
Kali? See if it has a forum/documentation that can help. Probably not worth it to go to the trouble to get minesweeper, anyways.

You should probably get a normal distro like Fedora or Ubuntu.
>>
>>60907547
mm pretty much. don't use kali as a main OS, its closer to a tool than an everyday computing platform.
>>
>>60907547
>I'm on Kali.

Lets all point and laugh at this guy.
>>
File: 1436043011585.png (313KB, 622x464px) Image search: [Google]
1436043011585.png
313KB, 622x464px
>>60907547
Kali is for pentesting, installing it kills its purpose. You are supposed to run it live man, live... Why do people even think kali is a good idea to install??? Who told you kali is a desktop distro?

Please for Gods sake install an actual distro for desktop use.

>Yes I got buttblasted, you gave me nightmares of using a linux forum with skiddies running kali and asking for help.
>>
>>60907548
muh secret club!
retard get out
>>
Googled the package 'games-minesweeper'. Debian says it's a meta package. So all it does it install other packages. Try running xbomb or freesweep.
>>
File: 1497127165061.gif (971KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1497127165061.gif
971KB, 500x281px
>>60907547
>I'm on Kali.

Install Korora, Ubuntu, or Debian testing.
>>
>>60907699
>>60907628
>>60907591
>>60907582
>>60907575

Thanks guys. I picked Kali because even though I'm a noob with Linux, I have decent networking knowledge and I have been trying to aquire some pen testing skills. Figured scans and whatnot would be faster on an installed copy.

It's not a big deal, it's just minesweeper. I do find it odd though, that package managers will allow you to install packages that aren't compatible with your system.
>>
Looking at it again, it's a meta package with the only dependency being 'games-tasks'. xbomb and freesweep are only listed as recommended. Kali might not pull in recommended packages. The only description for games-tasks is "Debian Games tasks for tasksel" which is vague as fuck.
>>
>>60907513
Outdated pasta
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.