[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With all the new convertible laptops that have come out over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Fujitsu_Lifebook_T904_Teaser.jpg (225KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fujitsu_Lifebook_T904_Teaser.jpg
225KB, 1600x1200px
With all the new convertible laptops that have come out over the past few years why have so few of them had this hinge design? Isn't is functionally superior in every way? It's only weakness is that it requires slightly more room than the other options.

The 360 hinge seems to be the dominant form factor which is super awkward to switch between modes with and leaves the keyboard exposed. Then there's the Surface Book design which is just as bad when switching between modes and only slightly better in that it doesn't leave the keyboard exposed.

Honorable mention to Dell's XPS 12 convertible frame design, that was a pretty good design but they seemed to have abandoned it.
>>
Because it's fragile as fuck. One unintended drop or too much force in the the wrong direction by just a few degrees and you are fucked.
>>
>>60905623
If that's the case dell needs to bring back this design and everybody needs to copy it. I'm sick of the 360 hinge bullshit with the exposed keyboard and the awkward switching.
>>
File: nothanks.jpg (56KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
nothanks.jpg
56KB, 450x450px
>>60905506
not detachable = brick tablet
>>
>>60905802
That's equally fragile. The entire screen is supported by two pins. It also leaves that thin bordering bezel just waiting to get cracked. Stick with the design of the surface or all those tablets with a snap on keyboard. If having two parts really kills it then get a thinkpad yoga. Same hinge design that's been proven rather stable and effective for years, only now they rotate around more than 120°.

There is a reason some styles faded out.
>>
>>60905506
>XPS 12
>pretty good design
That's the kind of craftsmanship I expect to see on a $0.37 phone case from china
>>
File: Vaio_Z_Transform_Wide.jpg (37KB, 981x471px) Image search: [Google]
Vaio_Z_Transform_Wide.jpg
37KB, 981x471px
>>60906003
The xps 12's convertible mechanism was very sturdy. I had one for a few years (carried it unprotected in a backpack through college) before giving it to a family member who still uses it and it still works fine. I don't doubt that 360 hinges are more sturdy since they're basically just hinges with more than one pivot, but the user experience is pretty shit and the exposed keyboard is really irritating.
Sony had an interesting convertible that was functionally similar to the xps 12. Super easy to switch into tablet mode without picking the whole thing up and hid the keyboard. It didn't sit totally flat like the dell though so I always thought it was a little weird.
>>
>>60905506
because the yoga design is superior in durability and provides the same functionality. 360 degree hinge killed the rest
>>
>>60905623
>fragile
Even more of an incentive to use it. It's also by far the best hinge design. My XT2's hinge feels like I just bought it today, shit's sturdy as fuck. Then again, I don't drop my stuff.

>>60905960
I'll take a laptop over a tablet pretending to be one any day.
>>
>>60906649
Awkward af to use though.
>>
>>60906649
I can't spin the Yoga screen to show someone something quick or leave it that way to watch a video without the base getting in the way. It provides some functionality but not all the functionality of the swivel hinge.
>>
Oh man
How much is that OP
It's beautiful
>>
>>60905960
They aren't particularly thick and they weigh the same. See HPs latest.
>>
>>60905506
Everyone had one of those style laptops in my school. Like 30 of them snapped off at the hinge at the end of the year. Everyone else had loose hinges that would wobble from typing. It's not a good hinge design.
>>
File: xz04.jpg (320KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
xz04.jpg
320KB, 1000x667px
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/topics/letsnote1706/

Japanese get this while we get lowest end atom tablets that break in weeks. Nothing personal Asus, but I'd rather buy Chinese tablets from now.

>VGA, HDMI
>i5 core
>changeable battery
>Pen support
Better than western low end laptops
>>
I don't understand the complaints. I have an X200t with this hinge design and it's great.
>>
>>60909343
Fujitsu lifebook so extremely overpriced
>>
File: DSC_1574~01.jpg (489KB, 2100x1440px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1574~01.jpg
489KB, 2100x1440px
Rotating hinges are very good compared with the other options.
It also has decent hardware and not some atom or shit "i7" that has worse performance than an i5 from 2012.
>>
>>60909923
>I have an X200t with this hinge design and it's great.
Apart from impressing normies, what other uses does it have?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.