[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've managed to snatch a pretty good deal on a passive cooled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (508KB, 1212x511px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
508KB, 1212x511px
I've managed to snatch a pretty good deal on a passive cooled PC, no fans whatsoever with an i7 3770S with no GPU for only 90$

It was used for HTPC, so to be completely noiseless the previous owner did not use a PSU, but instead powered it with a 90W power adapter that came with the case.

Been thinking of using it as a 24/7 Fileserver/Webserver, and to have occasionally run bots on it once in a while for testing before deployment.

What do you guys think about this setup without a PSU?
Is it risky having this system running without one or am I being too paranoid?
Intel reports the CPU as having 65W TDP but I suppose it will drain more if it ever gets under full load.

Pic related, it's the case (Shuttle XH61).
>>
Where?
>>
File: 1494585673745.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494585673745.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>60893616
Never cheap out on the PSU specially when is going to run 24/7.
>>
>>60893667
It's a website like ebay, but only for people that live in Switzerland, you have to confirm your address and all kinds of shit to even be able to buy/sell shit there.

>>60893682
I've been thinking of buying a new case and slapping a PSU in there, but wanted to know some opinions first.
What would be the risks?
Power outages will never happen where I live, never had one for the 6 years I've been living there, so I don't feel like I'll get a situation of getting shorted components after this kind of scenario.
>>
A PSU is a power supply unit.
That external power brick supplies power.
You are not running without a PSU.
You will be fine, this is common for passive builds and cases meant for passive builds, that IS a good deal though.
>>
>>60893682
go back to the ltt forum buddy
>>
>>60893857
Yeah, I'm fucking clueless when it comes to components that are specifically used for supplying power, never had electrical engineering classes my whole life so my knowledge derives from self-learning, so sorry about that.

So you think that external power brick won't fuck up if I'm going to let it run for so long nonstop? Good to know.
In that regard I'm the kind of ignorant fuck that fears housefire situations if I run a part for so long in a use it wasn't intended for.
At least I think it wasn't intended to use in a 24/7 scenario since it's the common shit used for charging up a device instead of powering one up all day all year.

Financially I have no issue at all changing the whole build into another case and buying a decent low power PSU, so if you guys got ideas, hit them.
>>
>>60893919
The SFF desktops of Lenovo have used power brick PSU's for a long time. You'll probably be fine.
>>
>>60894028
Alright man, thanks for the feedback, I'll run it as it is then.
>>
>>60893919
>>60893616

The 65W TDP unit is a measure of the thermal output potential of the CPU running normal load, it is not a measure of current draw.

If you're thinking about the 65W TDP, you should be thinking about your new case's cooling, and whether or not the system will overheat after left on with a regular workload after a while. Sometimes the heatsinks in those little things reach thermal capacity and can't cool in the long run.

Fortunatley, it's easy enough to set it up, let it go for a while, then look at the thermals. If it's throttling itself due to high tems, that's the point at which you spend $15 on some more cooling.

ez pz. Sounds like a cheap find at that price -- have fun!
>>
>>60894184
In the case that I'll have to slap some fans and a heatsink in there, what do you recommend for good performance and low dBs?

I've mostly been using Noctua for air cooling.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.