[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FreeDOS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: freedos12.png (6KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
freedos12.png
6KB, 720x400px
Have any of you guys played with FreeDOS? I think there is people here who would use it for its retro feel. Do you have any concrete project useing FreeDOS?
>>
What is freedos useful for besides running ancient CAD machines and playing DOS games?
>>
>>60890671
I am asking exactly that myself you know. I reckon is extremely lightweight and good for really old hardware, but I'd like to see an specific project using FreeDOS.
>>
>>60890643
MSI laptops that don't come with Windows have FreeDOS pre-installed.
>>
>>60890822
>MSI laptops that don't come with Windows have FreeDOS pre-installed
Because some places have laws that state a computer can't be sold without an OS.
>>
>>60890643
It's useful for flashing the BIOS in old mobos whose utilities must be run on DOS.
>>
>>60890643
No. DOS is dead and we are well rid of it. Use DOSBox or some other emulator to play your old DOS games if you're so inclined. There's literally no reason to do anything new with DOS.
>>
>>60890704
Seagate SeaTools for DOS uses FreeDOS, IIRC.
>>
FreeDOS is something you install when you have absolutely NO access to anything else to install; no Internet, nothing. FreeDOS will at least let you do the most basic of the basic stuff: store shit on the hard drive.
>>
>>60890704
>>60890671
it's used for point of sale systems
>>
i use freedos for flashing motherboard bios/chipset updates

i use freedos for flashing gpu/drive updates

basically anything that doesnt run on linux natively useally runs in a dos environment or a cdrom emulated dos live evironment (in the case of flashing new sandisk drivers for instance)

its pretty great for legacy stuff so i dont have to make compromises for non foss software and its got a lot of advancements over stock dos
>>
I use it to deltree machines. Quick and easy

Deltree *.exe /y
>>
>>60890879
thats a emulator where this is native though so you will say way more performance in freedos
>>
>>60891148
Any guide for that?
>>
>>60891326
sorry i didnt notice u replied

do u have a specific question?
freedos has pretty good documentation so if you have a tool or binary or directory you can either prepackage it or mount it in userspace if its a iso
>>
>>60891459
Do you actually flash your BIOS with FreeDOS? Can I use this to flash Libreboot?
>>
>>60891204
DOS is a single-task operating system and isn't actually doing anything in the background. So in that respect, you can in theory monopolize every bit of CPU power.

However, that's only theory. In practice, Real Mode is so rare that I wouldn't be surprised if there is a performance hit on modern CPU's from using it. And even if there wasn't, the difference in speed between DOS and a real operating system would be so negligible that all of the downsides would outweigh it.

Just do a minimal debian install if you want the leet command-line hacksaw feeling.
>>
Looks overly simple but fun
>>
>>60890839
for what purpose?
>>
>>60893269
how old are you?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.