[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>MacBook >GNU/Linux wat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

>MacBook
>GNU/Linux
wat?
>>
>>60881819
I wish they used the GNU® LinuxBook Pro™ tearing display 2017
>>
>>60881819
unlike kek operating systems, gahnoo+loonix runs of fucking anything. Hell even Linus uses a macbook, but with fedora installed.
>>
>>60881819
can't they advertise system76 or something? this isn't even reddit tier, this is facebook-tier
>>60881904
the point of macbook is using MacOS, because it's optimized for that hardware. Torvalds uses macbook, but doesn't "prefer" it since he didn't install any Linux distro in his life, probably Apple donated that. Also who gives a shit about Torvalds, he's even aganist hate towards Facebook, a social network that makes experiments with their users.
"If you want to be free, don't follow Torvalds"
>>
>>60882130
>optimized for the hardware
I bet gentoo can be even more optimized for the hardware than macOS.
>what are march and mtune CFLAGS
>>
>>60881819
the patrician way to run GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60881876
>I wish they used the GNU® LinuxBook Pro™ tearing display 2017
That name has a nice ring too it. Without the Pro™ it's even better.
>>
>>60882209
To it*
>>
>>60882156
what about battery life? If people don't buy a macbook for MacOS why would they buy it? For the apple logo?Installing GNU/Linux literally means removing apple logo from your OS
>>
It's a TV show literally called Silicon Valley, what other laptop would you expect to see there
>>
>>60881819
>you will never buy a GNUbook, a hackable cost-effective notebook with software and hardware that is 100% libre
>a computer that not only respects your freedoms but also protects them with adblockers embedded in the kernel and also by routing all your network connections through GNUnet by default
>>
>>60881819
It's a computer. Computers run operating systems. Linux is an operating system.
>>
>>60881819
It's just a status symbol, people buy it for the same reason people buy sports cars. It doesn't really matter what OS runs on top of it.
>>60882317
>For the apple logo?
yes?
>>
Why?
>>
>>60884367
This is probably the only meaningful thing that has been said in this thread.
>>
>>60884870
What sort of retarded question is that?
>>
>>60884221
please delete this :(
>>
>>60884221
Would Stallman a laptop what was meant to run GNU/Linux and only GNU/Linux?
We could even make our motto be ''For autists, by autists''.
>>
File: 1467489119216.png (135KB, 701x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1467489119216.png
135KB, 701x1050px
>>60882130
>because it's optimized for that hardware
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>60881819
It's like trying to avoid botnet on newest hardwaer
>>
>>60884367
>Linux kernel
>OS
ROOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>60882130
>since he didn't install any Linux distro in his life
You are thinking about Richard Stallman. Linus does all the IT support for his family. His daughter used to run OpenSUSE.
>>
>>60887251
all libreboot models comes with libreboot, which supports only and only GNU/Linux and BSD. That slogan is already taken by Razer though, so you cannot do that.
>>60887390
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGTs1NSB1s
>i cannot install debian because it's hard to install
nice try Linux Foundation
>>
>>60887390
nevermind i confused it with stallman
>>
File: 1484195579296.jpg (183KB, 857x856px) Image search: [Google]
1484195579296.jpg
183KB, 857x856px
>>60882130
>>
>>60887371
"Linux" is a colloquialism for operating systems that use Linux as their kernel. When I say "Linux" in this context I'm referring to things such as Debian, Gentoo, Alpine, OpenWrt, etc.
>>
>>60887510
Android is a Linux distro
>>
>>60887495
>who built the world's most robust operating system and gave it away for free
>AND GAVE IT AWAY FOR FREE
why do consumerist media drones always have to point out when someone gives something away expecting nothing in return like it's some odd miracle, bunch of fucking millenial kikes
>>
>>60887559
It is.
>>
>>60882130
He said many times that he praises apple hardware.
>>
>>60881819

Are you shocked that linux can run on applel hardware just fine?
>>
>>60887495
Remember that he got back to is ;')
>>
>>60881819
Well a few years back I did my research and got an older Macbook Pro. After a little bit of work I had it running nativity Mac, Windows, Linux, IBM-DOS along with some alternative disrtos and many mini recovery tools. It was glorious, in less then 5 minutes I could restart it to read and run anything I could think of (and I do mean ANYTHING). Gone were the pains of comparability and formate issues as a few keystrokes would change the settings to make it work.

For a whole year, I didn't get a single error I couldn't solve in less then 3 minutes, and even those were rare. I was so happy, this was by far the best computer setup I had ever have. And sadly maybe ever will, given the state of things now.

Then Apple auto updated my firmware without my permission and wreaked the thing. I managed to recover my all data, but the partition and boot structure were ruined and could not be rebuilt thanks to the changes Apple added. I even flashed the system which should remove everything, but it was still there somehow.

In short my Macbook Pro was basically my dream machine for an epic year, till Apple broke it.

Now I just use it a my main Linux machine as it is too dated to run many new things which require an iCore or other newer hardware. But I haven't had a real reason to buy something new.

>>60882317
Back when I first ran it with new battery. I got a break down something like this.

Windows = 2 hours
Windows (tuned) = 3 hours
Linux (regular) = 4 hours
Linux (tuned) = 5.5 hours
Mac = 6 hours
Mac (re-tuned) = 6.5 hours
Linux (light) = 8 hours
Linux (light tuned) = 12 hours
Linux (light tuned, CLI only) = 16 hours

Over 7 years later Linux (regular) ≈ 2.5 hours, but battery meter says 128 hours at full charge so timer is not reliable anymore, but % meter still is useful as each 25% is about 30 minutes give or take.
>>
>>60888303
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>60882317
>If people don't buy a macbook for MacOS why would they buy it?
They want a MacBook.
>Installing GNU/Linux literally means removing apple logo from your OS
OS X isn't just a Linux distro with Apple logos.
>>
>>60888332
>Yes,
because manually adjusting my CPU clock speed and RAM assignment lists to eliminate timing errors so I can run DOOM natively without emulation, just like I did when I was kid
>is soooo mactoddler
>>
>>60881819
For when you want to waste money AND time
>>
>>60887307
Quoting an article about an operating system version that was last updated in 2012. Nice try faggot
>>
>>60881904

>Hell even Linus uses a macbook, but with fedora installed.

Linus hasn't used that MacBook Air in almost 9 years, you moron.

He's been using Google Pixel notebooks for a while, now he's got a Dell XPS 13 and loves it.

But he does still use Fedora as his primary day to day OS, that much is still true.
>>
>>60881819
it's called VM.

Also, Silicon Valley runs on Macs. Pretty much everything you use daily is made on Macs.
>>
>>60888479
kek
>>
>>60888538
So what you're saying is, Apple was always shit.
>>
Linux on Apple hardware rocks. Everything works out of the box and in the rare case it doesn't, there is tonnes of support for getting the hardware to play ball. You can configure your laptop so much more granularly than on macOS and it's rock solid stable with all the benefits that dropping the bloated, cancer ridden Apple shitware brings. Definitely recommended.
>>
>>60888660
How's Linux with trackpad gestures?
>>
>>60882317
>For the apple logo?

Have you never met a normie before?
>>
>>60888681
>trackshit
>>
File: (((gestures))).jpg (77KB, 728x450px) Image search: [Google]
(((gestures))).jpg
77KB, 728x450px
>>60888681
>gestures
>>
>>60888727
Well we are discussing laptops, moron.

>>60888817
Gestures are great.
>>
>>60888830
So are touchscreens, doesn't mean anyone needs it for a laptop
>>
>>60888903
I love my convertible
>>
>>60888921
You sound like the type of person who would
>>
>>60888931
It's pretty great for reading long articles and shit. Throw it in tablet mode and use the rocker switch for scrolling. Also great for games like Civilization
>>
>>60888984
Well I can't really disagree with you there, desu there are probably more than a few times where it would have been handy for reading reports for a thesis, but overall it feels gimicky to me. I ain't gonna tell you that it's a waste of money f you actually use it though.
>>
I've met silicon Valley types and a lot of the ones who do code got MacBook Airs for the hardware and then just put Linux on them. It's dumb but it does happen
>>
>>60889128
How is using the hardware+software combination you prefer dumb?
>>
>>60881819
Lots of companies give them to their workers as a hard to tax perk. Some people like linux
>>
>>60889136
Because you're paying the "Apple tax" that goes towards Mac OS, but you're not even using Mac OS.

I saw this back a few years ago when the MacBook Air was still pretty unique hardware, now that stuff like the XPS 13 exists it represents even more money unnecessarily spent. They're all silicon Valley tech workers though so I guess they can afford to burn some extra money on their own computer.
>>
>>60884513
Sports cars are a bit different anon. A Porsche 911 is objectively a better car in everyway than a Camry. It's price hike is justified, unlike Macs
>>
>>60890994
If it's the hardware you want, it's the hardware you want. There is absolutely nothing retarded about it.
>>
>>60891022
Yeah a better comparison would be:
Mac = BMW 318i
Dell = Camry
HP = Chev Malibu
Samsung = Hyundai
Lenovo = Ssangyong
Acer & Asus = Shit
>>
>>60891058
Acer & Asus = flaming Ford Pinto?
>>
>>60891198
Nissan with a CVT?
>>
>>60891022
This.

Macshit is a Pinto with a Lambo body kit.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.