[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are compsci majors such memes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: how do i database.png (161KB, 1159x885px) Image search: [Google]
how do i database.png
161KB, 1159x885px
Why are compsci majors such memes?
>>
Gonna be honest, that looks like an accident that was waiting to happen.
>>
>>60867070
>create a setup guide for new devs that has a section on nuking the production database with an asterisk saying to not do it
>newdev nukes the production database
How the hell were they surprised this happened? I feel like the guy who made that guide must've hated the company.
>>
>>60867070
Go do something productive, man.
>>
>>60867070
Sounds like both parties were at fault here. Moreso the company than anything.
>>
>>60867070
Giving the new employee a guide to nuking the company DB and not making backups of it. TBF sounds like the company was way too full of it self.
>>
>>60867111
>>60867146
>>60867180
>>60867188

Millennials these days, do they not bother spending time to read the whole document before acting upon it?
>>
>>60867199
I mean it's just dumb. It'd be like a Linux guide telling you to go to your root directory and then tell you how to start using the rm command.
>>
>>60867070
I hope you mean the idiots who set up the database and not this guy.

They shouldn't have given him write access to the production DB, but that would have been fine...
Except they used the actual live-fire credentials in the example document, but that would have been fine...
Except the self same document was instructing you on how to use a pretty destructive test suite, but even that would have been fine...
Except they didn't have any backups! Literally "having data 101"!

The domino row of fuck ups is astounding.
>>
>Reddit

If only he had LMAO :^)
>>
File: BE A WOMAN.jpg (161KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
BE A WOMAN.jpg
161KB, 612x792px
>>60867070
>lower case "i"'s everywhere.

What are kids learning in school these days?
>>
>>60867070
this happens when you seize a bunch of ignorant database monkey in a big box, and overpay them
>>
Maybe the Redditor should have paid attention to the instructions instead of mindlessly copypastaing like an Ubuntu or Arch nigger.
>>
>>60867199
Millennials must have been running the backups too :^)
>>
>>60867301
Millennials are fucking everywhere these days
>>
>>60867070
How would a CS major know anything about databases? It's a math degree.
>>
>>60867282
>BE A WOMEN
what?
>>
>>60867217
>now go to root* folder and type sudo sudo rm -rf
>blablabla

>* dont actually go to the root folder but the folder that was specified above
>>
File: BE A MAN.jpg (160KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
BE A MAN.jpg
160KB, 612x792px
>>60867315
Sorry
>>
>TIP*: Tell your boss to go fuck himself

>*Don't do this
>>
>>60867313
I took a database class in my cs program. Just one but if you were interested in it you could have taken more I reckon
>>
File: Hardest class in CS.png (423KB, 490x684px) Image search: [Google]
Hardest class in CS.png
423KB, 490x684px
>>60867313
>It's a math degree

I laugh every time.
>>
>>60867070
>printing production database credential in a guide that's handing out to newcomers
they're retards and got what they deserved
>>
>>60867199

While I would not say the noobie is entirely without fault in misreading the document, there is a greater problem clearly in place that the noobie revealed. Why was the production database not backed up? Why were production database credentials provided to someone who was literally on their first day of the job? For that matter, why did they have permissions to access it in the first place? If your company is capable of losing millions of dollars over a rookie mistake, there is a lot of blame to place on the company's management.

>>60867313

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_theory
>>
>>60867362
I'm surprised how easy it was compared to most CS course. SQL literally is english tier programming language
>>
>>60867447
Yes it was not a particularly interesting or challenging course.
I think even normies can understand database concepts
>>
>>60867533
>I think even normies can understand database concepts
Nope. I failed my DB class probably harder than any class before.
>>
>>60867070
That's not his fault, like holy shit sounds like he dodged a bullet
>>
>>60867298
have you ever even held a real job?
>>
>>60867313
>It's a math degree.
That doesn't mean you cant learn about DBs...
>>
>>60867550
Are you an retard though?
>>
>>60867595
I'm at work now.
>>
>>60867303
It's almost as if the previous generation retired or something.
>>
>>60867617
Maybe. I'm still not that far into CS classes. Hardest thing I've taken and passed was data structures in C++.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>60867070
>be me in college
>cs lab
>Assistant opens a shared folder and tells us to copy the contents to our machines
>Open the folder, select all right click
>click cut, erase everything
>fuck fuck fuck fuck
>Assistant goes all R Lee Ermey on us "Who did that?!"
>*silence*
>Quickly paste everything back
>Assistant gets even angrier "Who the hell did that?! Did it just magically reappear?!"
>Says he has auditing enabled and he's gonna check the logs
>After 5 min of him staring at his monitor confused and angry he gives up
mfw sheer incompetence saved me
>>
>>60867623
aww is that what you call it when mommy feeds you your tendies? cute
>>
>>60867303
I'm not >:(
>>
>>60867645
Holy shit that guy sounds like a right cunt
>>
>>60867645
What a prick, glad you didn't fall for his bluff.
>>
>>60867070
100% companies' fault. I mean, if a simple human mistake happened to the first fucking junior coming around can wipe out your prod db with no survivors - then MAYBE your whole fucking """""enterprise""""" is shit, your employees are retarded and you deserve every single bit of this crap. I mean, when I was junior the worst mistake that could happen was me accidentally committing my AWS test account's credentials - regenerated after 1 scolding and 15 mins of time. And the company I work for is, like, small...
>>
>>60867070
Absolutely the company's fault.

How fucking hard is it to not put the read/write admin tier account into the developer docs, but one with properly limited access?

Also, no backup, no versioning/retention in your DB, nothing? This shit is ridiculous. Kill yourself for not REQUIRING your DB admin and company to spend the necessary money for minimal data security.
>>
>>60867645
Incompetent to set access permissions on a network share (or understand that he needs a copy of data in a private folder somewhere) AND a cunt?

Let us wish impotence upon him; may he never procreate.
>>
>>60867070
he (the victim) should sue the company for irresponsible behaviour
>>
>>60867070
Its always the "self-taught programmers" that complain about compsci majors. I guess its a strategy to devalue the degree in order to give themselves even more value. Salty bunch.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.