[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WebAssembly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: ferris tea.png (502KB, 486x481px) Image search: [Google]
ferris tea.png
502KB, 486x481px
What's stopping future web developers and site owners from redesigning their websites as WASM binary "clients" that connect to a server in order to render websites?

This would let them block unsavory actions, like saving images, right clicking, copy/paste, and they could embed ads in the "client" to thwart adblocking, and even run bitcoin miners in order to make money off of every single user visiting their site.
>>
that's a cute girl, what show is she from?
>>
>>60865014
>girl

also Re:Zero
>>
>what's stopping them?
probably public backlash. as much of a corporate hellhole were in right now we still have the basic trappings of capitalism and such a stupid fucking move would never be tolerated by the general public, not even the tech illiterate ones.
>>
>>60865035
The public is already conditioned to expect websites to run slow as fuck, they won't care if visiting their favorite news site suddenly makes their computer spin up their fans to MAX SPEED, I've already seen this happen just by going to youtube.
>>
>>60865050
if websites literally run bitcoin miners on your pc that would hit the news real quick and the companies would have to change real quick or risk shutting down.
a while back a big cs pug service esea did this to people who downloaded their client and as soon as it hit public knowledge they lost tons of subs and had to restructure their entire management.
>inb4 gaymfag
>>
WASM will not have more power than current Javascript VMs do, so as much as I hate WASM, it doesn't make things any worse in that regard.
>>
>>60865027
he already knew
>>
>>60865080
did you just assume my gender?
>>
What's stopping existing web developers from doing that with javascript?
>>
File: ferris28.gif (1007KB, 540x531px) Image search: [Google]
ferris28.gif
1007KB, 540x531px
>>60865109
You can see it in the source code because javascript isn't a compiled language.

WASM is a binary, you have plausible deniability I doubt computer illiterates will even know the implications of a website hijacking your computer's CPU to make the owner money.
>>
>>60865068
Basically this. It's not like wasm code gets free reign over the browser. I don't get how people are thinking this is gonna make it possible to prevent downloading images and such.

>as much as I hate WASM
What do you not like about it? From what I understand, it seems like an improvement over asmjs, which would allow for porting complex C/C++ libraries and whatnot for client-side use.
>>
>>60865122
>You can see it in the source code
The "source code" for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. Minified or obfuscated javascript is not source code.
>>
>>60865122
It's actually not a "binary" it's like the intermediate language that LLVM uses before it compiles source code into a binary. It's I guess obfuscated but it actually might be more readable than minified javascript which is really common these days
>>
>>60865035
>public backlash
kek
Not a fucking chance. So long as facebook still works they'll eat that shit up.
>>
>>60865009
>run bitcoin miners in order to make money off of every single user visiting their site
>implying I'm not already doing that

If only my sites had more visitors, I'd be wealthy goy
>>
>>60865009
>draw a girl
>call it a boy
Why
>>
>>60865122
Have you ever looked at the typical javascript loaded by a website?
>>
>>60865127
Because it aims to replace Javascript, plaintext scripts that are by default easy to read, with binary blobs, that are by default extremely difficult to make sense of. And authors' response to this is "but the dev can choose to attach source code to his binary blob!"
>>
>>60865216
because
>>
>>60865218
Here's JS code offered by 4chan with whitespace added (by an automatic tool):

https://pastebin.com/raw/p66ziWbd
>>
>>60865216
What, did you think that "anime was a mistake" was just a meme?
>>
>>60865009
What's stopping devs from including bitcoin miners right now?

You could write a js bitcoin GPU miner that takes advantage of webgl frag shaders to do sha256 hashing.
>>
>>60865009
Even better mining from some background application.

Or even funnier, inside a game where you have an excuse to use all the resources.

>But FBI, I swear it was just running on high graphical settings!
>>
>>60865009
felix a cute
she (he) would make a really good gf
>>
>>60865009
le tea girl (male)

WASM binary's...bitcoin miners...please dont give them ideas anon
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.