[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On a scale of 1 to 10 how incorrect is this statement?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

On a scale of 1 to 10 how incorrect is this statement?
>>
0, now fuck off back to plebbit
>>
>>60861818
Lightbulb
>>
It's quite reductionist which makes for funny jokes but not something you can categorize as useful facts
>>
>>60861818
which statement ? that a cpu is thinking ? a cpu is a rock ?
>>
>>60861874
Just the general one about it being a rock that was tricked into thinking?
>>
Whenever you're having trouble with a SQL statement, remember that water is made of hydrogen and oxygen.
>>
>>60861818
Banana
>>
File: bb_hank_minerals.jpg (45KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
bb_hank_minerals.jpg
45KB, 600x338px
>>60861818

Christ Marie...
>>
Niggers
>>
>>60861818
Ignores effort and investigation
>>
>>60861818
Obviously a CPU is not technically a rock and nor does it technically think, but the sentiment is fine and the quote is amusing, which is its purpose.
>>
>>60861818
if you ever posted something the "feels like a potato but it works," just remember that OP is literally a faggot that we tricked into posting
>>
File: 1488596052709.jpg (88KB, 804x804px) Image search: [Google]
1488596052709.jpg
88KB, 804x804px
that really affected my asparagus / 10
>>
>>60862688
Underrated
>>
Neither is it a rock, nor does it think. It's just a very large electrical circuit in a very small package.
>>
>>60861818
>a CPU is a rock that we tricked into thinking
1- A CPU is not a rock.
2- We did not trick the CPU. We did not even trick a rock.
3- CPUs do not think.
0% accuracy.
>>
>feels like a hack but it works
if it didn't work wouldn't it not be a 'hack'.
>>
>>60861818
non-sequitur/10, CPUs do not think and that pseudo-example doies not justify a "hack that works".
>>
>>60864229
>>60864657
>>60864297
This is usually the point where someone calls us all humorless autists who are barely even human
>>
>>60864685
Being accurate and correct is a requirement for jokes to be funny.
>>
>>60861818
>what are corner cases
>>
File: 1476324034872.png (509KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1476324034872.png
509KB, 768x576px
>>60861818

You did not trick a rock into thinking to make a CPU, you tricked yourself thinking you tricked a rock into thinking to make a CPU instead.
>>
>>60864710
It isn't, it's just the joke is poorly formatted to begin with. You could stretch that silica is basically rocks, which is what CPUs are effectively sort of made out of. Tricking is just manipulation, and it could be inferred that manufacturing is just manipulation of materials. Cut out the middlemen and vastly over simplify and you could make the statement "we tricked rocks into thinking."

It just isn't funny.
>>
>>60861818
eh, 5 maybe.
depends on whether youre responsible for the design of the program.
if you are, then its just an excuse for poorly designed code which led to the need for hacks to get around its flaws.
if not, and you cant rewrite it you just have to work with what you have, similar to making a CPU while working around with laws of physics you cannot change.

>tricking a rock into thinking
is a dumb quote though
>>
>>60861818

the joke has nothing to do with validity of the statement

I think its a point on how humans are trying to offload their problems onto machinery, it's a giant hack and societal issues are going to catch up and bite us in the ass in areas that computers won't help us, so not making the cleanest abstractions for something that's already hacky in the grand scheme of things isn't that important
>>
>>60864710
uhhh

jokes and humor actually derive right out of absurd and unpredictable occurrences. Sometimes I wonder if it's not a defense mechanism against insanity.
>>
>>60864818
In other words, OP doesn't understand his own joke.
>>
>>60864211
You are lazy

We are tickling it. It is doing the robot.
>>
File: Image298235493.jpg (48KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
Image298235493.jpg
48KB, 500x749px
>>
File: 1487801936380.png (19KB, 193x243px) Image search: [Google]
1487801936380.png
19KB, 193x243px
>intels face when they realized you know they sells rocks
>>
>>60864685
>Why is Hitler like Chaplin? Both have 6 letters!
>Chaplin has 7 letters.
>OMG, why do you have to be such a humourless autist? Are you even human?
The joke sucks. It is inaccurate and unfunny. Some ignorant people who do not know anything about CPUs might force a laugh at OP's joke, but that is because they do not want to be seen as uneducated. Might as well laugh at some TBBT "jokes".
>>
>>60868045
Could you grow up? Just a little? A few months should do it. You should have been speaking English for a few years now so you should be able to string together sentences expressing thoughts more complex than "DA JOOOOOOOOOS!" I know it takes slightly more effort than just complete shitposting, but shitposting is called shitposting for a reason: it fills the board with fecal matter. I really don't know why you'd sit there going through the effort of searching for an image and filling out a captcha just to get out, "I KNOW A MEME!" This is an anonymous board so you don't collect internet points that follow you around since there's no name or avatar to attach them to.
>>
>>60868118
That's a funny joke lmao
>>
>>60864211
People laugh at Indians not pooping in a toilet here all the time. Truth is not a requirement of humor.
>>
File: 1426288188249.gif (1017KB, 385x349px) Image search: [Google]
1426288188249.gif
1017KB, 385x349px
>>60861818
A CPU is simply a tool, and thus we can can compare it to other tools like hammers and screwdrivers.

To say that a tool "feels like a hack" is not something I would every say about a hammer or screwdriver. Hence, I have no need to say that about a CPU either. If a tool is useful, then use it -- if not, then don't. I see nothing "hack"-like about that.

There are some tools that are kind of like a "rock". For example, the head of a hammer could very well be an actual rock. CPUs (currently) contain silicon, which is a substance found is some rocks. Hence, there is not necessarily anything inaccurate about comparing a tool to a rock.

As for that idea of being "tricked" -- again, that's not something I would ever say about a tool. If I use tool like a screwdriver, I don't consider myself to be "tricking" the screwdriver into serving as a tool.

All in all, it seems like a very strange statement to me -- it's not clear to me what could motivate someone to think like that.

It reminds me of this quote:

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
>>
>>60868265
The reason that's funny is because it IS true though. It's a massive problem in India.
>>
>>60868147
New pasta! Great for b8 on pol.
>>
>>60868147
Could you grow up? Just a little? A few months should do it. You should have been speaking English for a few years now so you should be able to string together sentences expressing thoughts more complex than "ANOTHA SHOAH!" I know it takes slightly more effort than just complete jewish shilling, but shilling is called shilling for a reason: it fills the board with jews. I really don't know why you'd sit there going through the effort of searching for an image and filling out a captcha just to get out, "HAHA I'M USING THE INTERNETS" This is an anonymous board so you don't collect internet points that follow you around since there's no name or avatar to attach them to.
>>
>>60868590
you're overthinking it
op's pic is just shit that you would find on 9gag and exactly the thing a new coworker of mine would post on the group chat, and he'd be the only one to laugh about it. he does this 2-3 times a day and he never gets a response from anyone, he's a fucking moron
>>
>>60868265
only problem there is almost 70% of their 1b+ population don't shit in toilets and instead do it on the streets
>>
>>60862688
holy shit
>>
>>60864229
how come no one is bullying this falcon guy? aren't tripfags le exdee faggot shit?
>>
>>60871826
I filtered all tripfags so i didnt even notice he was there
>>
>>60871826
Falcon is one of the very, very few trapfags who aren't awful
>>
>>60861818
You never specified what the high and low stood for, so disregarding.
100% incorrect.
Read a book on semiconductor manufacturing
>>
>>60871826
He's been here for like a decade and actually contributes without being an attention whore.
>>
ITT: autism.

Why is it hard to both get the joke and at the same time get along with its intrinsic yet necessarily simplicistic fallaciousness?
>>
>>60872070
we get the joke, it's not fucking funny or smart
kill yourself
>>
>>60872070
Because it's tumblr-levels of reductionist, and is a lame excuse for people to feel good about lazy programming
>>
>>60872005
Ok, Falcon.
Leave the tripcode off, tho, k?
>>
>>60861818
How is an amass of transistors a rock?
>>
>>60872138
what would a shitty programmer know? it's one of those people that made the joke
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.