[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

making money from open source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: mondragon.jpg (144KB, 2457x2457px) Image search: [Google]
mondragon.jpg
144KB, 2457x2457px
So I am almost done an unpaid internship. I open sourced the software partway through. How do I make money from it? Ideally, the government would pay me since it's a public good. It's medical/educational. In Canada.
>>
File: 1469221023142.jpg (109KB, 588x647px) Image search: [Google]
1469221023142.jpg
109KB, 588x647px
>>60849273
Embed it in a cryptocoin.
>>
>>60849273
Create some ransomware that targets your users
>>
File: SoulfulFakeAlligator.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
SoulfulFakeAlligator.webm
1MB, 854x480px
>>60849273
If it really is for the public good and it isn't some spaghetti autism you wrote in your mum's basement, I'm sure you can get paid to further develop it or maintain it.
>>
>>60849273
Add a link to your Patreon page.
>>
>>60849273
>some spaghetti autism you wrote in your mum's basement,

It was literally this, except I live upstairs.
>>
>>60849273
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html

> Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If a license does not permit users to make copies and sell them, it is a nonfree license. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

> The word “free” has two legitimate general meanings; it can refer either to freedom or to price. When we speak of “free software”, we're talking about freedom, not price. (Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”.) Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, study and change the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes.

> Free programs are sometimes distributed gratis, and sometimes for a substantial price. Often the same program is available in both ways from different places. The program is free regardless of the price, because users have freedom in using it.
>>
If you want to make money on open source software, you either have to make it by commission (get paid, then make software), or use it to sell some sort of service. The government won't just hand you money for your software just because you asked for it. Also, you can't sell licenses, because someone can just redistribute your software for free.
>>
>>60849273
You could license it for non-commercial use only, and enterprises would have to pay you to use it commercially.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.