[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this edition still relevant? Also book thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: C++.jpg (46KB, 404x500px) Image search: [Google]
C++.jpg
46KB, 404x500px
With C++14 having superseded C++11, and C++17 on the horizon, is this still worth getting? Or is the fifth edition still a long way off?
>>
>>60845033
Only if it's cheap.

You might as well get the PDF instead and wait for a more updated version.
>>
C++14 and C++17 are important developments, but not the paradigm shift that C++11 was.
>>
>>60845033
C++14 added some convenient stuff for lambdas and missing move shit regarding smart pointers. Nothing too crucial. I'd probably pick up Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++ (Second Edition) instead though. It's very basic but it teaches you the core C++11/14 features in a good way. I'd say even a seasoned C++ dev can learn a lot from reading it. Try to get one of the books at your local library though. I'm expecting Bjarne to release a C++17 update soon.
>>
>c++
>2017
it is not worth.
>>
>>60845299
PPP is about learning programming, not about learning a programming language. If you already know how to program, it'd likely be a waste of time. That's especially true if you're looking for something to use as a reference.
>>
>>60845033

is this still worth getting?
>>
>>60845733
Yes
>>
>>60845733
yes, I just finished it in January.
>>
>>60845660
The first 100 pages can be skipped if you are a veteran programmer. If you are new to C++ it teaches the wonders of iterators and standard lib fine. I found it helpful in understanding the beauty of C++ coming from C#. I now enjoy C++ way more than C#. Otherwise get Effective Modern C++ by Scott Meyers if you know C++.
>>
>>60846072
That sounds nice. I'm reading A Tour of C++ to get an idea of what I'm actually looking at, so something more in-depth might help.
>>
>>60845033
Do you know how to program already in another language? Read A Tour of C++
Complete novice? Read PPP.
After either of those, just start using the language and have http://en.cppreference.com nearby.
If you plan on going full autism, then read Effective Modern C++ by Meyers and watch Stutter's videos,
>>
>>60845497
>BRAINLET
>>
>>60846072
seconded
>>
>tfw still can't use make_shared and make_unique because compiler writers are twiddling their thumbs
>>
>>60845033
Literally a windows shilling book. SAD!
>>
>>60845033
I own this edition, and I can honestly say without a doubt that it is the worst programming book I have ever read. It's chalked full of windows centric examples with zero regard for any other platform. All the examples consist of a boring problem followed by lengthy redundant writing about Stroustrup's never ending fetish for manual optimizations; then ending on some additional wankery about c++ being the greatest language to grace the earth.
>>
>>60846072
>Effective Modern C++
Does this replace or complement Effective C++? I.e. should I get both, or just Modern?
>>
>>60845033
> https://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-6th-Developers-Library/dp/0321776402/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GGNNVK8M20WVAKMXP7M4

Get this one.
>>
>>60848156
Personally I feel C++ has changed too much for the old edition to be worth much.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.