[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elixir and Phoenix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Elixir-Phoenix.jpg (167KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Elixir-Phoenix.jpg
167KB, 1280x720px
I want to make a simple clone of Trello and Slack to learn something different from my Java/C projects.

Has anyone tried Elixir and Phoenix? How was it?
>>
>>60841481
it's nice. expect to be a beta tester, like you always should with a relatively young and unproven technology like that.

https://github.com/dailydrip/firestorm
https://github.com/BrainMaestro/elixir-phoenix-realworld
>>
>>60841481
>Phoenix
slow as fuck
>>
File: elixir_logo.png (74KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
elixir_logo.png
74KB, 400x400px
>>60841481
I hear some very nice things about it.
Will check it for sure.

P.S.
What a badass name for a language
>>
>>60841481
cool a thread about elixir and phoenix
>>
>>60844368

Why?
>>
File: angularjs was a mistake.jpg (133KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
angularjs was a mistake.jpg
133KB, 1500x1000px
>>60841481
So far I've greatly enjoyed Elixir and OTP. Phoenix is best viewed as a set of tools, conventions, some routing, and some glue between Ecto and Plug. It's not nearly has heavy-weight or opinionated as Rails, Django, Laravel etc. Then again I haven't really looked into the whole "Phoenix Presence" thing, so there might be a bit more to it now that I simply haven't needed.

I still work on exiting projects in several languages, but most new projects I started these days are in Elixir:
- Any time I think "I need something that can handle being slammed by loads of connections constantly" Elixir has replaced NodeJS as my go-to.
- Any time I think "I need a quick and dirty API layer around a database" Elixir has replaced Rails as my go-to.

TL;DR: Elixir is amazing. Phoenix is cool, but you should learn Elixir first, step into Plug and Ecto, sans Phoenix, so that you have a core understanding of what Phoenix actually is and does.
>>
>>60841481
>>60841679
>>60845394
>>60846293
>>60847193
>shilling yet another language...
>>
>>60847217
Do you know what the word "shilling" means?
It is not simply a synonym for "complimenting".
>>
>>60847217
lol wut?

Nobody gets paid to praise Elixir.
>>
>>60846874
it's bullshit, I use it at scale for one of my services and had no issues. Performs similar to my Go services.
>>
>>60841481
I'm learning elixir/phoenix at the moment. I like it a lot.

Elixir was created to allow people to use the Erlang VM without Erlang.

Erlang is one of those weird languages nobody hears about but controls the world. Erlang was designed by the swiss to create error-free digital banking 30 year ago.

They invented what is now called the Actor pattern for concurrency and parallelism.

However I think Elixir/Erlang are quite redundant today, if you want to apply its FP patterns Haskell is better, and if you just want to make easy and reliable concurrency and parallel programming Go is more suitable.
>>
>>60849991
>Erlang was designed by the swiss to create error-free digital banking 30 year ago.

Erlang was designed by Swedes and Americans to create error-free digital telephony systems 30 years ago.
>>
>>60852085
well, he was close
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.