[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

c++ editor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: 5604_17da_500.jpg (21KB, 500x608px) Image search: [Google]
5604_17da_500.jpg
21KB, 500x608px
I am currently using atom and am frankly fed up with it; it is buggy and slow as hell - I waste more time fucking with it instead my actual code.

I had a look at eclipse, but the fact that I had to create a "project" instead of just, y'know, opening files from a file tree that is already there screams bloat of death of doom. Noped out of there.

Vim/emacs is fine for people who started coding in the 80's, where everything was slower and people had time to learn over 9000 commands just to use the editor. Today we have the computer mouse and the limiting factor of my coding speed is not the input anyways.

What does /g/ recommend? (usable well on linux)
>>
>>60839217
visual studio code
>>
>>60839217
>I had a look at eclipse, but the fact that I had to create a "project" instead of just, y'know, opening files from a file tree that is already there screams bloat of death of doom. Noped out of there.
In Eclipse, you just import an existing Makefile project literally like every other IDE.
You sound too stupid to be serious about writing any C++.
>>
>>60839217
You can use your mouse in vim with :set mouse=a
>>
>>60839217
>Vim/emacs is fine for people who started coding in the 80's, where everything was slower and people had time to learn over 9000 commands just to use the editor. Today we have the computer mouse and the limiting factor of my coding speed is not the input anyways.
With this attidude you'd better BTFO from Linux and use Windows or MacOS
>>
>>60839217
kate is a great editor.
You can use it in a lot of different ways.
kdevelop is an IDE that uses kate if you want IDE features and kile is a latex editor if you want document features.

Another option is qtcreator.
It is a great IDE for C++.

All IDE's use projects rather than single files and qtcreator is worse than kdevelop at files.

In either case, you open the cmake file to your project and then it gives you IDE features.

If you still prefer a straight up text editor, plain kate is the way to go.
>>
>>60839217
vim
>>
>>60839250
Not stupid, just short-tempered and making unbased assumptions. Also negative associations with e from java (can't go wrong with java bashing, right?)

>>60839263
Didn't know that thanks

>>60839265
Want to configure my shit, tiling window managers, don't like corp fingers in my butt

>>60839380
will look into them. Why I want an editor is for stuff like
- linting
- navigation
- autocomplete
- list of stuff
>>
If you want a simple editor, Sublime and just write a build command to cater to C++.

If you want an IDE, CLion or Visual Studio.
>>
>>60839217
Vim is good, use Vim
>>
>>60839429
You can achieve this with kate, but I would suggest that you use kdevelop or qtcreator for c++ programming.

Qtcreator is a good place to start if you want a simple IDE that works great for small projects.
It does calculate stuff on the fly which makes it slow on large projects, but you don't spend resources during upstart, so it feels faster for smaller projects.

linting is called cppcheck btw
>>
http://www.geany.org/
>>
VS2015 or CodeBlocks got me through my college courses
>>
>>60839217
>I am currently using atom and am frankly fed up with it; it is buggy and slow as hell
I use Atom for C++ development daily, it's a little slow but not cripplingly and certainly not buggy, what are you doing with it? What plugins are you using?
>>
If you are stubborn or just need an editor designed around the mouse you can use ACME.
>>
Clion is free if you're a student.
>>
>>60841933
First, Linter sometimes does not react so I need to restart (which luckily goes instantly). While talking about Linter, it could be faster and instant linting is not working.

If I open more than three files besides each other, it noticeable refreshes each time I click somewhere which is annoying.

It tends to sometimes hug so many resources that I have to reboot.

That being said, emotionally I quite like it, but that might be because of hype, name, non-bloaty feeling, the plugin system and nonwhite default color scheme :^)

The thing is that I would be the perfect apple user would I not be poor - I want to build new stuff with my computer, not spent >9000 hours getting existing stuff to work.

To be honest how I know myself I will just continue using it because changing would be more effort than just taking the inconveniences. Be like water and all.
>>
>>60842660
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
code::blocks
>>
>i use some edgy pseudo ide and am disappointed that it is nowhere as well developed as any already existing one
>im to retarded to use an editor
>i don't like industry standard ide
>i have to ask NEETs who do nothing but rice their tilling wms and post loli wallpapers in "detep" and "baettl sttin tred"

stop pretending, go work in a mine or a farm where low shits like you belong
>>
>>60843286
:^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^) :^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^) :^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^) :^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^):^)
nigger
>>
>>60843645
If you like Atom but hate how slow it is, you should give something like Sublime a chance. Free sublime key can be found on WikiLeaks in the CIA Vault 7 leaks. All you have to do is search for "CIA Sublime Key".
>>
>>60839217

I have the same problems with IDEs. Trust me, what you want is vim or emacs.

>9000 commands

All you need is like 5 commands for them to be perfectly usable.
>>
>>60842038
This is the way to go. Free and great in features.
>>
>>60843702
why would i want to use sublime or atom, i have vim and it does everything necessary perfectly.

if i wanted to get more comfortable i would either go for eclipse or something developed by jetbrains
>>
>>60843777
Sublime + CLion here, nothing has beat that for me personally.
>>
>>60839217
vim+syntastic
>>
>>60839217
qtcreator or visual studio. You don't really have many other choices for C++ that are good.
>>
>>60843793
do you not know how to use an editor?

im curious how often do you use keyboard shortcuts or move your mouse?
>>
>>60843924
I do use shortcuts, things like ctrl + d in sublime is like a gift from heaven.
>>
File: cap.png (25KB, 199x313px) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
25KB, 199x313px
I use VS code with pic related extensions.
It's decent.
>>
>>60839217
code :: blocks
>>
>>60842660
Are you retarded? If you have too many active plugins, of course the editor is going to be slow.
>>
vim is literally the easiest shit. If my arts major brother can manage it, so can you.

All you need to know as a beginner is "i" to start typing, " esc" to stop and :wq to save and quit. That's all you need for 80% of tasks. Google the rest as you go
>>
>>60846521
>That's all you need for 80% of tasks.
Na moving in vim is a pain if you don't bother to learn the motion commands.
>>
>>60839217
If you just need an editor, vim + a simple makefile should do the trick.
For cross-platform, replace the makefile with cmake.
Want to debug simple stuff? Use gdb.
Cannot use gdb because you're indian? Use QtCreator.
>>
>>60846828
w to go forward a Word, b to go Back. I to Insert at the start of the line, A to append to the end of the line.

Pretty much all the common commands are mnemonic.
>>
File: 1497011695167.png (93KB, 430x336px) Image search: [Google]
1497011695167.png
93KB, 430x336px
I'd use vim a whole lot more if it had things that Sublime Text has out of the box.

I really missed being able to contract/expand blocks, having multiple cursors, having good syntax highlighting and "templates", like when I begin typing #ifn it can autocomplete to the whole #ifndef X #define X #endif, with the cursors already in place.
>>
>>60839217
use emacs like the pros do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOre9E5hJzc#t=30m0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSVHWrYG974
>>
>>60849415
Vim can do everything you wrote
Source: just duck' it
>>
>>60850872
Sure it can, If you Google for an hour which random words you have to type into a config file to get it working. Plus placing files in your new vim config folder. But oh wait don't forget to install a plug-in manager to install all the plugins vim needs to have functions all text editors already come with out of the box.
Vim is for when I ssh into a machine and need to do something quick, let's not pretend it doesn't suck for anything more.
>>
>>60851019
I have no plugins, the .conf it's less than 20 rows and I've got all of these things.
I understand you are lazy, I'm too, but it's worth it.
Said that, just do what you want.
>>
stop being a faggot and fire up vimtutor for a few hours then don't look back.
>>
>>60839217
Vim

Emacs is fine too if you don't mind RSI
>>
>>60843777
Vim is severely limited by being terminal only. 16 colors max and everything is limited to the character grid. Every autocomplete menu I've seen wasn't properly separated from the rest of the text, no option for stuff like a minimal etc. Love the vim workflow, hate the vim visuals...

And sadly, all GUI editors with vim keybinding support don't feel as snappy as vim.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.