[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /g/ feel about Red Hat Linux? Has anyone here used it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: logo_redhat.png (98KB, 2440x794px) Image search: [Google]
logo_redhat.png
98KB, 2440x794px
How does /g/ feel about Red Hat Linux? Has anyone here used it?
>>
>>60838106
I use version 6.X on some lab computers in my Uni. The system is fine but the packages are really old. Single digit Chromium and Firefox versions can bately open any website.
>>
RedHat is great because of long term support of releases. CentOS (redhat community) is the same software but no long term supported versions. We would kill, for a rhel license but in the meantime we spend months planning what CentOS version to upgrade to, knowing itll be unsuported too.

If youre going to be on systems that host software thats constantly updating, you want rhel.
>>
>>60838106
I have it on my laptop
nothing special. It has better forum and repositories than centos though. But debian beats both
>>
>>60838106
well maintained distro, their software portfolio integrates it very well with the OS and vise versa (satellite, idm, jboss, etc), very good documentation, decent and relatively fast engineering support

packages are old and scl is pretty awful imo but overall the most professional distribution there is, next to suse maybe. only thing im missing is a build environment that is not a self setup mock or OBS
>>
FYI redhat is an enterprise OS and is pointless to use on a single-install personal system. It's focused on maintaining systems that have countless packages, versions and configurations to account for. It's for enterprise level development work, not taking screenshots of your setup.
>>
>>60838625
>enterprise level development work

hearty chuckle, like your style
>>
>>60838814
Redhat (not centOS) is paid and stupidly expensive for a license in any capacity. A linux user wanting a personal system has no reason to make it their primary OS
>>
>>60838972
>stupidly expensive for a license in any capacity

Enterprise development. On Linux. With support license. That is a scam for cucks who pay for AV as well
>>
>>60838972
RHEL developer license is free
>>
its for servers
you don't need firefox on a server
>>
File: qr_codes_and_binary_logs.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
qr_codes_and_binary_logs.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
>unironically paying the company who employs harry poettering
>>
>>60838106
I used 7.2 and it was really stable and well polished compared to other distros.
>>
>>60839256
Wintard here, what's so bad about systemd? Can't be as bad as Winpoo and as far as I know it's licenced under GPL.
>>
>>60838106
I administer RHEL servers at work.
Save yourself a lot of pain and don't use RHEL 7 if you rely on Perl.
>>
>>60838315
> If youre going to be on systems that host software thats constantly updating, you want rhel.
Why not Debian? As far as I know, both RHEL and CentOS can't be upgraded in-place to a new major version. Red Hat backports some 3.x and 4.x features to the old as fuck 2.6.x kernel.
>>
>>60839327
every project of Lennart is like communism - great in theory and has admirable goals, but brings nothing but pain and suffering in practice
>>
>>60839348
1. Support - if a system component misbehaves, you can shift blame on RedHat

2. Debian package maintainers have a fetish of patching everything they can get their hands on, sometimes resulting in serious vulnerabilities that seldom get spotted because they are Debian-only
>>
>>60839050
This, you can use it for free as long as you click a checkbox saying you'll only use it for development.
>>
>>60838209
>>60838315
>>60838517
>>60838574
>>60838625
>>60839341
>>60839348
>>60839407
>>60839413
Reminder that complaining about FOSS software is literally illegal. If you don't like it, fork it.
>>
File: nazi-flag.jpg (447KB, 4000x2200px) Image search: [Google]
nazi-flag.jpg
447KB, 4000x2200px
Hitler:
"Today Germany, tomorrow the world!"

Redhat:
"Today the init, tomorrow the world!"
>>
>>60838106
Fedora is my daily driver, no need to pay for RedHat since its just PC and light server use.

If I had large business, I would use RedHat
>>
>>60838209
your uni didnt update.

im running firefox 48
>>
>>60839770
Isn't "the complaining user" a burden of the software world in general?

Also I'm genuinely curious to know from what premise you can derive the statement "complaining about FOSS software is literally illegal".

Even if you're memeing, there has to be a reason behind your injunction to forbid complains.
>>
NSA, privacy, systemd, yada yada yada, OP is gay af, yada yada yada, kys.
>>
>>60841390
FOSS respects the developer's freedoms to do as they please. Complaining about FOSS places yourself above the developers. You are not allowing them to do as they please, but arguing that enslavement to your purpose would be better. Slavery is illegal.
You must respect the developer's freedom. This means complaints are disallowed. If you have an issue you must resolve it through your freedom to fork it, you may not insinuate that others should be enslaved in order to make the features you believe you're entitled to. That entitlement is the exact opposite of respecting freedom.
>>
>>60838315
Wasn't RHEL7 released for free?
>>
Is subscription-manager shit everywhere or is my company just too retarded to manage their subscriptions properly?
>>
>>60839050
you pay for support not the software.
>>
>>60840911
Thanks for the new wallpaper
>>
>>60838106
It's the NSA approved distro.
>>
I used it back before Fedora was around.

Coming from portage, rpm was a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>60839770
It's not FOSS if it ain't free you retard.
>>
File: B8 13.jpg (35KB, 540x564px) Image search: [Google]
B8 13.jpg
35KB, 540x564px
>>60841842
>>
File: fucking-retarded.gif (92KB, 220x121px) Image search: [Google]
fucking-retarded.gif
92KB, 220x121px
>>60841842
>>
File: 1496707182163.jpg (1MB, 1312x1730px) Image search: [Google]
1496707182163.jpg
1MB, 1312x1730px
>>60844864
4EVA
BTFO
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.