[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: Stopit.png (466KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Stopit.png
466KB, 800x800px
Stop recommending learn python the hard way.
>>
>>60818480
Python is only useful as a scripting language to replace shell and as a beginner language.

Nobody should be learning important CS concepts with it.
>>
>>60818653

>not embracing the python meme

What should we learn 'important' CS with?

Prolog?
>>
>>60818908
Haskell Desu. lambda calculus and type theory amnd recursion
>>
>>60818920

>Haskell
>does not realize python is based off Haskell
>>
>>60818920
pogchamp
>not using fortran
>>
>>60818920
So give us a real use for it. Academics that preach the mathematical solidity of Haskell frequently fail to show its practical usages.
>>
>>60818945
HASKELL A SHIT WITH SHIT TYPING AND NO LAZYNESS
>>
>>60818480
>Stop recommending learn python the hard way
I never recommended it.

Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is 1000x better than anything Zed Shawn can ever write.
>>
>>60818945
You're retarded dude. Haskell was made in like 2011. Python is way older
>>
>>60818957
I MEAN PYTHON
>>
I'm honestly astounded so many people recommend it. It's such a condescending piece of trash that takes eons to get through the simplest of material.
>>
We learned C and Java first semester computer science
>>
>>60818976
1.) Spend twenty lessons on printing.
2.) Treat the reader like garbage.
3.) Dumb python down (not sure how it's possible, but he does it).
4.) Give the reader few if any independent assignments. Just type what Zed wrote.
Programming, motherfucker! Thanks Zed!
>>
>>60818976
>>60819035
Yup, basically this. People recommended me that book and I only made it a few pages before I stopped. I knew nothing about Zed Shaw (still don't, really), but I got annoyed with the way he writes, it's as if he's arguing with the reader or insulting you, no clue what he's so fucking pissed off about. Also he seemed arrogant as fuck.
>>
File: 1476512743956.png (1MB, 973x901px) Image search: [Google]
1476512743956.png
1MB, 973x901px
>>60818945
>python is based off Haskell
>>
I still feel like The C Programming Language is the simplest, most-straightforward, informative, and constructive introductory programming text I've ever read.
>>
>>60818960
>>60819094

Haskell wasn't made this decade. I've written Haskell in 2007.

Do you think I used a time machine?
>>
>>60819137
>introductory programming text I've ever read.
how many did you read then?
>>
>>60818960
python is a year newer you dumb nigger
>>
>>60819138
Haskell appeared in 1990. Guido was thinking about Python in 1987 and it made it's first release in 1991. The only reference to them being related is an excerpt from a Python tutorial dealing with a feature that was added in 1999. The tutorial noted it was similar to a feature in Haskell. That's literally it.
>>
>>60819203

The day /g/ tard learns to use a search engine.
>>
Practical Programming was written by my undergrad professors. Paul Gries is a good guy who knows how to teach programming and computer science even to people with no prior knowledge of the subject.

Not sure how his book is though. If it's even half as good as his class it's probably a great resource.

/shilling
>>
>>60819185
About half a dozen. Have you ever read K&R C? They say it's not written as an introduction to programming, but they take time to explain variables and functions. It's actually extremely informative without feeling condescending, and leaves the reader to develop simple algorithms for solving problems instead of just copying code.

It's only downside is it neglects modern C nuances, but no introductory text goes into nuances.
>>
>>60818920
Haskell is a syntactically sugared lambda calculus, in other words it's a useless shite in general. Python is a von Neumann language, it's more realistic.
>>
>>60819235
>It's only downside is it neglects modern C nuances, but no introductory text goes into nuances.
btw. any resources for modern C?
>>
>>60819268
I've heard good things about King's C Programming: A Modern Approach.
>>
>>60818480
Series "the hard way" are biggest shit in learning to programming
>>
>>60819290
>over 800 pages
well, I was hoping for something for someone who has read K&R already, and just wants to get to known the modern parts, but thanks anyway
>>
>>60819254
>faggot has never heard of monads
Learn your shit faggot.
>>
>>60818480
I agree, that's a dogshit book.
>>
>>60819224
It was the book I started with (it's one of three recommended python texts in the wiki). I really enjoyed it.
>>
Learning the hard way isn't the best but I think it's okay enough to gauge someone's interest if they actually want to program. He just writes too many chapters when I think he is more suited to show people small things about programming and having some little bits of independent work/problem solving. I couldn't get through zed's shit though cause it eventually got boring. Started to feel like a typing book more than a programming book.
>>
I remember the time when everyone in /g/ recommended it. Back then I was pretty sure no one really read it.
It's fun to be right on the internet.
>>
File: 1496982371168.png (332KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496982371168.png
332KB, 800x800px
>>
>>60818908
Fortran
>>
>>60819137
This. It's underrated as an actual introduction to programming.

For Python, I found that the best introductory text was just the Python tutorial in their official documentation
>>
>>60819137
>>60819235
>>60819290

Wait, so as a beginner, what should I read? I've had some minor programming experience in basic and C#.
>>
File: IMG_0501.png (60KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0501.png
60KB, 750x1334px
>>60820621
If you're trying to get into C, pic related is nice supplementary reading to go along with K&R, it's pretty thorough and detailed.
>>
As a beginner who's only other experience was a course on C#, my biggest problem with his lessons are the fact that he explains fucking nothing on the assumption that it is too advanced, and that all you do is spend time copying his code. I've made my way through 26 of the lessons, and can't fucking stand them anymore. You learn the content of 2 lessons in those 26.

Any book for Python you'd recommend? Also some book to pair with K&R?
>>
>>60818966
Python has lazy generators

def cumsum(c):
p = 0
while c:
p += c.pop(0)
yield p

(fun(i) for i in someiter if i)

Those are both lazy generators
>>
>>60821056
this book is great, I recommend it
also C should be introductionary lang
It's not that I don't like Python, but starting with C is very important if you want to become a programmer
>>
>>60819137
That's funny, because it's not an introductory programming text at all. Rather, it's an introduction to a programming /language/. Similarly, your ABC book was an introduction to English, not creative writing or poetry. Something like PPP, on the other hand, teaches programming, where the language used is largely incidental.
>>
>>60821590
I disagree. Python is a very good first language specifically because it lets you ignore language details and focus on more general programming concepts and techniques from the get-go.
>>
>>60819075
His C book is even worse. That guy has no idea.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.