[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idiot mail server security question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 0

I am stupid for asking this

A guy I was friends with has a domain and a server; he runs some gmail stuff on it (my gmail account is myname@hisdomain). Is his finger in my butt regarding access to my emails?

I am asking because the relationship went somewhat downhill and I am trusting him less and less. I don't even know whether the mails are stored on his server or on google's and if he can access them in any case.

I am stupid for asking this

("Why don't you just make a new one?" Because then I would have to start thinking about secure mailing, and many people have my myname@hisdomain-address. Yes I will probably have to do that. But hisdomain is a cool name also.)

Pls respond
>>
came here for the pic lmao
>>
Is he hosting the actual server or did he do a google email thing
>>
>>60812371

If he's the owner of the domain he has full access via the Google Apps dashboard to view the entire contents of your email if he chooses to do so. He can also set up rules redirecting emails inbound to you or forwarding copies to an external mailbox under his control.

You're not stupid for asking this, you're stupid for creating an email address with an individual with whom your trust isn't constant.
>>
>>60812591
He is doing a google email thing.

>>60812695
Shit. Fuck. Fuark.

Can he make me not see emails? Can he create ones from and to me that are not real?

Ok. How do I un-fuck myself ideally?

Yes this was stupid. Everything about it is stupid, which is why I avoided thinking about it. Back then I was even stupider and everyone in my circle used his domain, so I did the same.
>>
>>60813419
>He is doing a google email thing.
Correction, I actually have no idea what he is doing. The domain is the name of his server or something.
>>
>>60813419

Most you can do is delete everything on the mailbox side and hope he doesn't realize until his backup retention runs out. What his backup retention is, I don't know, you don't know, and you have no way of knowing. If he already made a copy of your mailbox and moved it offsite, which you also have no way of knowing, then there's nothing you can do.

That said, he may have an alert set up to detect if a user starts mass deleting emails. We have these at our office since it's a giant red flag that HR and legal might need to step in on a user.

Also, yes, he can choose to intercept emails intended for you on an SMTP address/IP address/domain name/CIDR basis and choose to have those not be delivered to you, and go somewhere else, like an archive mailbox he controls.

Email administrators are allowed to do absolutely everything regarding mail flow in their domain. I work in an enterprise sector where we've utilized Exchange/Google Apps/Zimbra etc. and they all have these features.

This is why basic advice is to never, ever, ever use email for anything. It's broken as fuck if you're concerned about privacy.
>>
Yeah, thank you. I mean, his potenial to fuck me is there, but not in a owning-me way. I mean, he could get creative, but he has to be careful too (being provably found out would suck a lot). I even have a way of finding out whether he fucked me already... but it's complicated,
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.