[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /g/, my professor just lowered my mark on a home assignment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

So, /g/, my professor just lowered my mark on a home assignment because he thinks I copied the code from somewhere or someone else.
How do I convince him I did it myself?
Pic unrelated
>>
explain everything in it and why you chose to do certain things
>>
>>60811189
Give it back, Tyrone.
>>
Some background:
The assignment was to get the original number dialed from a DTMF tone sequence, in MATLAB. It did not have to be automatic, you could separate each tone manually and extract the frequencies from the fft graph manually, but I made it fully automatic
>>
>>60811212
He wouldn't listen to any reasoning
>>
>Matlab
I would copy and paste too If I was stuck doing that shit
>>
>>60811248
Do you have some academic review board or something?
>>
>>60811189
Most schools have a whole staff for Academic Misconduct. Bring it up with them.
>>
>>60811248
Either he's just a cunt or he's pissed off because you did it better than him.

So either way he's just a cunt.
>>
medfag here
What happens if you get an assignment and easiest, most secure and most efficient solution to the problem is right on the front page of stackoverflow? You have to come up with a shittier one in order to not fail?
>>
>>60811248
are you assuming that's what would happen or did you actually try to explain what you did line by line and why you did it and how/why it works?
>>
Offer to suck his cock
>>
>>60812140
>You have to come up with a shittier one in order to not fail?
You just have to follow the standard taught to you by the professor and never deviate from it in any way or else it's cheating
>>
>>60812086
rally any other comp sci profs that know you and do this. get him fired
>>
>>60812140
>What happens if you get an assignment and easiest, most secure and most efficient solution to the problem is right on the front page of stackoverflow?
Stackoverflow questions are usually along the lines of "how do I do very specific task X in context Y". Assignments are usually "write a program to do Z". While writing your program you might realise you have to do X, in context Y' or even directly in context Y, get stuck, search for help on stackoverflow - if your context is Y', you adapt the SO solution and you're good. If your context is Y and matches the question very closely, usually you'll be fine anyway - it's going to be one-two lines of code, and the names of all the variables and functions are going to be different.

On the other hand, if your assignment is "do X in context Y", well, there are only so many ways to do that, they can't prove you didn't come up with it on your own even if you directly copied it from stack overflow. Provided you can explain what your code does, it's all good. (This weeds out the dumb copy-pasters, because those will grab the code from SO without understanding it, and that's bad and immediately noticeable. You can't write code you don't understand, unless it's some really convoluted process that you don't expect to work but it magically works, but that's really rare.)
>>
>>60812150
He just claimed he has seen similar code in other people's work. When he couldn't find any similar solution, as I think I was the only one to make it fully automatic he said it reminds him of solutions from previous courses.
>>
go into his office, plant a framed picture of your favourite goat, sit down at his computer, install gentoo
>>
>>60813048
Who the fuck has a favourite goat?
>>
File: 1496273485624.png (264KB, 864x722px) Image search: [Google]
1496273485624.png
264KB, 864x722px
>>60812656
>Ask for the same assignment year after year
>Do X simple task in X lines of code
>WHY ARE MY STUDENTS ALL SUBMITTING SIMILAR CODE
jesus fuck how did he become a professor

Unions and higher education are cancer
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.