[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 52

File: 1479203004658.jpg (306KB, 635x768px) Image search: [Google]
1479203004658.jpg
306KB, 635x768px
/sqt/ because old one is almost kill

rip Ian Murdock edition

You know the drill:
-post your small tech support questions HERE, don't create a thread for them

-don't just bump the thread, most people look for posts without replies

-take at least 10 seconds checking your problem with a search engine

Old one: >>60799274 (Cross-thread)
>>
Am I able to bypass the iphone passcode on iOS 10 without having to fuck up the iPhone or use a computer?
>>
Two bridged stereo amplifiers, one for each channel, is exactly the same as using two monoblocks, correct? Why can't I find a single answer for this?
>>
File: damn.png (17KB, 824x376px) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
17KB, 824x376px
what the hell is this?

It's a folder that I tried deleting along with a bunch of others, but for some reason this one didn't delete.

It won't let me open it, but if I create an archive through winrar, I can see the contents

???????????
>>
My desktop has always had a wifi connection, would be helpful if it was wireless.

Is the easiest way to make it wifi compatible, is there anything to think about when buying a usb dongle type thing?
>>
Should I buy ryzen instead of comparable priced intel cpus? From my understanding the industry is moving towards multi-threaded, many core optimization instead of clock speed optimization. If I plan to use the processor for a couple years, would I reap benefits from this change by purchasing ryzen? For months people have been saying wait on buying a new processor because ryzen should be dropping soon, but gaymen benchmarks still show intel's chips to be on top as far as fps/$
>>
What is the most privacy focused linux distribution.
>>
File: IMG_20170528_230838.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170528_230838.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
Can I use onboard software RAID for RAID5 with 4x 8TB WD Red hooked up via SATA 3Gb/s, or should I invest in a raid card?

Can I get a recommendation on a inexpensive RAID card? New, or used.
>>
Trying to reduce used space with my setup. Are there any small speakers that someone could recommend? Also, tips on managing cables outside of the case?
>>
So I'm going off to university this fall. I'm going to need a laptop obviously but I won't be able to take my desktop. Should I give up on the hope of being able to do any gaming up there? I'd heard MSI did some impressive things in the gaming laptop space last year but I don't know if that's just a bad meme or not. I'd rather not be gameless for the next three years. Any advice on what to look into?
>>
>>60810936
>I won't be able to take my desktop
Why not?
>>
Moving to Linux soon but need to clean up my drives of duplicate shit.

Are there any GOOD duplicate file finders, namely any that might be able to find dupes with differing file names (especially when looking at images or video files)?

Also, I'm still big on gayman but looking into making use of my computer. Would a Ryzen be the way to go, or a Threadripper? I couldn't do a passthrough because they don't have the vt-d anyway, right?
>>
>>60810936
Just take your desktop, my dude.
>>
>>60810956
>>60811063

Brother and I shared it so it's staying back at home + I'm doubling and there just doesn't look to be a ton of space justifying a desk, chair + setup. Plus I need it for class and shit anyway so I figured might as well.
>>
>>60810936
>>60810956
This is a very relevant question, because if you want to be a cool gaymer dude playing the new shit you're going to be investing probably $2k or more into a laptop that's gonna be a heavy fuckin' thing.
>>
File: wgyfKmg[1].png (373KB, 1028x369px) Image search: [Google]
wgyfKmg[1].png
373KB, 1028x369px
>>60811101

Na nothing drastic like that. Street Fighter and Killer Instinct are probably the most demanding games and KI was 2013.
>>
I plan on installing Windows 10 (legit) for the first time on a new SSD (Computer itself has been used before with pirated OS)
Will I have to put the drivers for motherboard, audio drivers etc. on a USB stick again and then install? Or will Windows 10 take care of that by itself? I heard something along those lines but I'm not sure if it really is as easy and smooth as they say.
>>
>>60810700
Try deleting it using an operating system from the last 5 years or so
>>
>>60811135
Nah Windows will find drivers it needs automatically in almost all cases, except probably video card and maybe realtek sound drivers. Motherboard drivers haven't been necessary for a long time
>>
File: BLS.png (6KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
BLS.png
6KB, 264x191px
>>60810673
>>
File: panda question.jpg (147KB, 1080x1085px) Image search: [Google]
panda question.jpg
147KB, 1080x1085px
Are prebuilt RAID systems any good?
>>
>>60811160
Ah okay, I remember having to install motherboard, chipset, network and audio drivers besides the video driver.
Have I been doing it wrong all the time?

Pretty cool that I don't have to do that anymore, so only a video driver and maybe sound driver I'll have to install?
>>
>>60810740
Depends on the which Ryzen CPU versus which Intel CPU, but in the coming years, more and more cores will be utilized.

What are you looking at?
>>
Does the cable length affect charging times for mobile phones? I've lost my original charger and I'm using a generic usb cable + usb extension cable. How much will this affect the charging time?
>>
>>60811135

Windows 10 versions past 1607 (Anniversary Update) are pretty good at finding the drivers themselves.
>>
File: fuck libcurl reeee.png (10KB, 490x171px) Image search: [Google]
fuck libcurl reeee.png
10KB, 490x171px
How do I set up
libcurl
with MinGW properly, the best I'm able to get is pic related.

Or recommendations on a simple/good C++ (2000s+) library just for downloading / storing plain text shit from the internet (txt, html, json...).
>>
so today while i was off at work my parents texted me saying they had a bunch of problems with the internet. so i tried to access my rutorrent online but couldn't connect and then i tried to ssh in and also could not connect. im dont really know if rtorrent was causing the problems and ive left it alone plenty of times before without any trouble, but im still a little worried that it may be a bit to aggressive so i want to do something about it. also it seems like a pretty good idea anyways

right now I allow connection through a tor hs only for both the ssh server and rutorrent because of the nat-punching abilities and because i already have tor connected 99% of the time anyway, so i figure some kind of shut-off could be based on that

tl;dr: how hard would it be to write a script that tells rtorrent to pause all traffic if tor doesn't say that it is connected, and then start seeding and stuff again once the connection is fine? i have no real programming experience
>>
>>60811315
That's very nice, glad to hear that, saves me quite some work.
Thanks.
>>
okay, i just updated my nvidia drivers for the first time in a year or so and apparently they removed shadowplay entirely. im so mad right now. is there something replacing that functionality or is it gone for good?
>>60810700
boot from an ubuntu LiveUSB and delete it from there.
>>
What does usually mean if you keep blue screening before login?

I have an decently old pc with W10 (rip) and I can't get past the login screen and bluescreens before I can enable safe mode as well.

I thought it was a memory problem at first because the first time it crashed there was a gaym open and a bunch of browser tabs, but wouldn't it be flushed after restarting?
>>
Webm For Retards gives me an error when I try to make a new webm file. I made one using the same video file 1 minute ago and it worked fine, but now it refuses.

Full text: https://pastebin.com/7BbU22US
>>
>>60811580
I of course tried to close and reopen the program and it didn't work. Also if I click continue it's just frozen at the rendering process.
>>
File: Taskmgr_2017-06-08_13-35-46.png (5KB, 525x48px) Image search: [Google]
Taskmgr_2017-06-08_13-35-46.png
5KB, 525x48px
i'm trying to get into cryptocrap, but it says that i need to enable WMI when trying to run nicehash, even though WMI is already running and enabled on the computer.
>>
My battlestation keeps tripping the breaker, what do?
>>
>>60811580
whats the file and extension you are trying to put in webmconverter
try to reinstall microsoft net framework
>>
>>60811714
avi file. Will try reinstalling microsoft net framework
>>
Can someone recommend me a place to buy a domain name and find a host?

I have made multiple websites with databases but I have never had to actually buy a domain name and find a host for someone.
Preferably something cheap, and free as in freedom.
>>
>>60811714
Tried reinstalling and then restarting but it's still not working.
>>
>>60811731
Namecheap for domain.
>>
Can you use a general-purpose programming language to write software for a domain that has its own domain-specific language?
>>
File: mfw579.jpg (6KB, 228x212px) Image search: [Google]
mfw579.jpg
6KB, 228x212px
Can anyone recommend me some relatively silent HDDs?
>>
I'm still on Windows 7 and a Phenom II because I was waiting on the next good AMD CPU. It took a while. Now Ryzen is out, but doesn't support Win7. How fucked is the support? Is it just lacking optimization, or will it actually not work? Gaming is my primary concern. Is there a way to get Windows 10 to not be botnet untrustworthy shit? I'm going to install Ubuntu and learn that to start transitioning away from Microsoft's closed garden, but I've got over 1,000 games on Steam alone, and I don't want to drop those completely.
>>
>>60811982
wd green.
>>
If I have AAC/M4A files higher than 256kb, and I set iTunes to convert then to 256kb, is there a hugely noticeable difference? I feel like it'd only be a minimal difference.

Or say I got 320k mp3 files. Would those be affected in any way?
>>
File: Kirbyraeg.jpg (17KB, 476x357px) Image search: [Google]
Kirbyraeg.jpg
17KB, 476x357px
>wanted to leave SJWhub
>made an account on GitLab
>500 errors all the fucking time

Well, shit. What else is there? Is BitBucket any good?
>>
>>60810673
Give it back Tyrone
>>
>>60811155
it's windows 7
>>
Recommend Computer Science books for someone who wants to learn things from scratch.
>>
File: 1467473240215.jpg (377KB, 940x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1467473240215.jpg
377KB, 940x1280px
hi /g/

i'm on win10 and using two different-sized monitors. one's a 1920x1080 monitor and the other is a 1024x768 TV screen. i'm wondering how to change the resolution of my TV to match my main screen. win10 did this automagically last week but then it stopped working and i can't figure out how to get it to change again. i go into display settings but it won't let me change the resolution of my TV
>>
>>60810753
Either tails or qubes.
>>
>>60810500
I want to rip my DVDs on my new HDD using Handbrake. Is there a consensus on which preset to use to achiev maximum quality?
Already did a quick search, unfortunately it wasn't conclusive because most is outdated or for a specific use case only.
>>
>>60810982
Not sure if it has a windows version, but fslint (http://www.pixelbeat.org/fslint/) has worked well for me before with finding duplicate images with different file names, I'm sure it would work well for other files too.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170609-012642.png (108KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170609-012642.png
108KB, 1080x1920px
for the past few days I'm getting this in AdAway and I get ads everywhere. help
>>
is passwordless SSH necessary for OpenMPI?
is there a way to specify the password in lam-bhost.def instead?
>>
Why is my Mozilla running faster than Edge? At first I thought it was my computer but everything else runs fine. I only have 2 add-ons but I have about 50 bookmarks.
>>
What are PCI-e SSD drives for and are they needed?
>>
>>60812489
Shit I meant Edge faster than Mozilla
>>
Any idea what's going on here? I have a Lenovo Ideapad 500. AMD A10, 8gb RAM
Whenever I try to boot it, the screen just sits and is black. Sometimes, it will boot, and things will display, but it's usually black. Any idea what I can do to fix it? It's no longer in warranty and I don't have enough money to buy a new one.
>>
>>60811500
Try running memtest.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170608_155857.png (959KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170608_155857.png
959KB, 1920x1080px
how do i remove all this crap?
>>
What's stopping me from signing up for google drive for business, or google compute engine?
$8/mo for unlimited drive storage is a steal.

I can add a fake company name for the free trial period, but will the dox me and cancel my plan once I start paying?
>>
>>60811580
There might be something wrong with your file, you could try renaming it and if that doesn't work redownloading it.
>>
>>60811731
OpenNIC is free as in freedom and price, but anyone wanting to use the domain needs to use their dns.
>>
>>60812013
You should avoid converting lossy files to another lossy format because the increased compression will probably lead to bad quality.
>>
>>60812183
Your TV might have a dedicated pc mode or something for higher res, you might want to check that.
>>
>>60812548
Uninstall NSA/Fedora and install GNU/Linux
>>
Does any way exist to recover deleted Internet Explorer logins/passwords?
>>
>>60812320
When I was ripping DVDs I used makemkv then just compressed the mpeg2 mkvs it outputted using ffmpeg.
>>
>>60812503
More speed.
>>
>>60812609
Tried both and didn't work. It's just weird that I could do it before.
>>
>>60812708
I guess you could try rebooting, and reinstalling .net and webm for restards.
>>
How the fuck do you get shitty corporate Outlook email in Thunderbird? I remember beating my head on it a bunch of times and failing hard. """"Tech support"""" weren't very helpful either ("you can't, use the mobile app on the phone or use outlook and nothing else on PC"). But today I went to see my professor and he's using it.

What's the voodoo magic involved?
>>
>>60812674
it's part of KDE right?
>>
>>60812548
The hamburger menu in the upper left should have some options for editing widgets.
>>
>>60812726
Only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling webm for retards
>>
>>60812579
I don't think google will care if you are using it for personal use instead of business if you are paying them.
>>
>>60812110
reeeee answer me, I dont care about your judgement.
>>
>>60812512
Edge is super unstable and barely has any features, which apparently leads to speed.
>>
>>60812503
Faster SSDs that are faster than the SATA port which is limited at ~550MB/s.

If you don't know, you dont need it.

>>60811992
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

There's de-botnetting tools that supposedly work. Just make sure to not pay MS.
>>
>>60810673
No. It is not possible. If you bought it get a refund or resell it, if you stole it give it back.
>>
>>60812830
i literally just forgot my password.
>>
>>60812726
>>60812766
Well even tried reinstalling avisynth, and still nothing.
>>
>>60812852
Have you reinstalled webm for retards?
>>
>>60812866
Yes
>>
>>60812729
Assuming by cooperate outlook you mean an exchange server, then you will probably need an addon for thunderbird. If you're using Linux, I've heard that evolution has good exchange support.
>>
>>60812881
Does webm for retards work on different video files?
>>
>>60812489
Because it partially loads with the OS.
>>
>>60812749
only to add widgets, it seems.
>>
>>60811731
Namesilo for domain, search on LowEndBox for a cheap VPS.
>>
>>60812954
Try right clicking the widgets on the desktop, or hovering over them, there should be a way to close them.
>>
>>60812897
Nice, I'll try that out. Any windows recommendations?
>>
>>60811580
I recommend uninstalling any Dot Net you can see in Add/Remove Programs, reboot, running the Dot Net Cleanup Tool (you gotta download it) and reinstalling.
>>
>>60812999
The only sure thing for exchange is sadly outlook.
>>
>>60810700
Maybe that folder contains some long ass filename that NTFS can't see
>>
on the Debian system what is the difference between "/etc/apt/sources.list.d" and "/etc/apt/sources.list".

I'm trying to install virtualbox and the dipping Wiki mentions adding a source to the former that doesn't exist on my system. Are they the same? is sources.list.d exclusively for extra repositories?
>>
>>60811731
Never ever use scaleway. Those jews are trying to fuck me with the 0.03€ invoice that I can't pay because of their shitty payment system.

Their vps services are insecure by design. No way to login and check the server's fingerprint before logging it via SSH. And this bug's report is open for three years without response.
>>
>>60813056
sources.list is a text file that lists the system repos (and anything you add there) and sources.list.d is a directory for making more text files with repos.
>>
How do I prevent the content of a folder from being searched in windows 7? And I'm not talking about indexing since I disabled that shit.
>>
are video cards pretty universal nowadays?

Like if I got a GDDR5 1050, it would work with a DDR3RAM PC?
>>
>>60813142
If it fits in the PCIe slot then it will work.
>>
>>60812970
thanks, i knew that, so I guess there's an easy way to add many but not remove many widgets. Could i get a recommendation for better desktop environments?
>>
>>60813168
I like gnome, a lot of people on /g/ like xfce.
>>
>>60813168
xfce
>>
I got a USB dongle that supplies my internet. It's running on 3G (inb4 hurp durp get 4G. Am poorfag)
The signal variance is massive. What causes it? I literally won't move it 1 inch in any direction and it might work perfectly for a few hours and suddenly the signal drops completely and the next second it'll run fine again. The thing is this has only started happening recently and its getting progressively worse. When I got this thing it ran fine for about 3 months with no such signal drops whatsoever at all. These days I'm lucky to get any websites loaded and the captcha is a real pain with it losing connection to the widget every few seconds.

In the time I've been writing this post the signal indicator has been steadily hopping between 1-5 bars at random.
Funny thing is I'm almost next to the antennae that supplies the network. Less than 100 meters.
Wat do?

Was planning on cannibalizing an old wifi card for it's antennae to add on to this thing. y/n?
>>
I cannot start new threads on any board. I get redirected to a page saying updating index and my thread doesnt get posted
>>
>>60813114
maybe I'm dumb or something, upon closer inspection there is a folder called sources.list.d.
so I just need to add a plain text file that contains the URL address into this folder?
>>
>>60813255
pretty much, just make sure the file ends in .list
>>
>>60813248
Maybe you're shadow banned.
>>
So, I'm trying to make two torrents, but use the same files for both.
I used ftp to upload files to my seed box, and I made a private torrent file for my private tracker.
But I also want to make a public version of the torrent for other sites.

I currently have the private tracker seeding, now if I make a second torrent file using the same files that I uploaded with the ftp, will it effect the private torrent at all?
>>
File: 518kzFkReqL.jpg (33KB, 1515x520px) Image search: [Google]
518kzFkReqL.jpg
33KB, 1515x520px
What's something I can use to broadcast my desktop to the living room TV, and be able to use a mouse and keyboard?

Steamlink seems cool, but I have some games on GoG and also through other means, and I think Steamlink only broadcasts Steam.
>>
>>60813038
Yeah I thought so too but there's nothing like that
>>
>>60812770
But buissness has unlimited storage for $8, while personal is $10 for 1TB. Clearly its a much better deal and they wouldnt want me using it?
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 1386x573px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1386x573px
Does anyone know how the FUCK I disable these ugly ass boxes? It triggers me so much.
Any uBlock filter that works?
>>
>>60813309
Could it be? I can post in threads as long as i use the reply to thread window, otherwise i get the updating index page or nothing loads at all.
>>
File: comparison.png (2MB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
2MB, 1280x1440px
How the fuck do I downscale video without fucking up the quality too much? Just tried, and the colors are obviously off when you compare it to the original. Pic related.
>>
>>60813271
thanks. it didn't install though Sean probably going to switch to another distro.
I heard them in jar developers were incompetent but I've read They're under new management now and have a new policy for security patches. Did they really clean up their act?
>>
File: 1492244895373.png (338KB, 1140x813px) Image search: [Google]
1492244895373.png
338KB, 1140x813px
How will this improve my programming skill?
Is it some kind of Mexican/Chinese mafia smuggling something and "programming socks" is just some codename I wasn't supposed to stumble upon? Genuinely and honestly curious about this.
>>
File: 1496806824160.jpg (36KB, 451x520px) Image search: [Google]
1496806824160.jpg
36KB, 451x520px
are cyberpower gayming pcs a meme?
is Liquid Cooling a meme?
wich one is the best option between these 2?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/473972/IdeaCentre_710-25_Desktop_Computer
VS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRZCI25/ref=psdc_13896597011_t2_B00IMOND82
pls respond
>>
>>60813660
never mind, I made a typo in the config file.
>>
Is it safe to disable udevd for a VM that would never care about devices?
>>
>>60810687
Depends which particular amplifiers you're looking at. For a bridged amp pair to match a monoblock in terms of being able to drive the same output it'd need to be rated for half the power per channel and half the rated load impedance. In terms of efficiency the monoblock is likely to be better, especially if it's class D vs a class AB bidged pair
>>
Which 1070 is both not shit and not >$450?
>>
how do you split .tta in foobar2000? there's just flac and mp3 options
>>
>>60810700
Windows doesn't allow file/folder names to end in a dot.
>>
Which Linux distro has drag and drop? I tried googling but I couldn't get a straight answer or a definitive list.
>>
>>60813773
pls respond
>>
>>60813773
>are cyberpower gayming pcs a meme?
They're sometimes alright, sometimes shit.
>is Liquid Cooling a meme?
Generally yes.
>wich one is the best option between these 2?
In terms of gaming performance, the second is quite a bit better due to the GPU difference. For non gaming uses the first would be better due to having the SSD.

>>60813680
Crossdressing improves programming ability, it's scientific fact.

>>60813547
Downscaling and reencoding shouldn't noticeably change colours, you've got your encoder settings wrong.

>>60813422
Best solution assuming you've got a fast network is a cheapo windows box running Remote Desktop. One of the chink mini PC sticks would work okay. You can do desktop via steam link too, run big picture then go minimise big picture on the exit menu, then you're at the desktop. For GOG/standalone games the easier way is to add them into the steam library by going add a non-steam game, that way you don't have to touch the desktop, it just runs.

>>60813328
It should just work.

>>60813228
Possibly network congestion, or failing stick. 4G ones aren't expensive.

>>60813142
The RAM on the card is unrelated to your system RAM, they're not connected directly.

>>60813118
Change permissions to deny read or list to whatever user you want to keep out. The regular non indexed search can see anything it has read access to.
>>
my mainboard has a Marvell raid controller on-board. I just made a raid array in the bios utility. windows still sees two separate drives. is that supposed to happen?
>>
any good free VPN reccs?
>>
>>60814016
Sort by price, pick whichever's cheapest with dual/triple fan cooler.

>>60814020
Distro is unrelated, drag and drop is provided by the widget kit such as GTK/Qt/anything else that supports the XDnD extension, which is pretty much every graphical linux compatible application.

>>60814170
It's probably not a real controller then, you'll probably need to install Marvell's drivers to make it show up as combined.
>>
>>60814196
1070 anon here, any manufacturer recommendations or is it all brand loyalty garbo? Also should I care about the difference in clock speeds or just go for price & cooling?
>>
>>60814196
i need linux to split a .tta?
>>
Im starting a new job as a data center tech and am totally clueless.

Can anyone suggest some good reading material for creating servers? Everything from hardware to software.
My job will be creating server racks and shipping them out to other companies.
>>
File: marvell.png (28KB, 795x579px) Image search: [Google]
marvell.png
28KB, 795x579px
>>60814196
>>60814170
pretty sure I got the raid driver installed. apparently there are three of these controllers on-board, however it's kinda hard to tell if I enabled the right one.

also there's a windows marvell storage utility (browser-based clusterfuck which installs a complete local apache server to show some ajax shit). it allows me to create another raid array. that doesn't seem right since I definitely made one in the bios already.
>>
Anyone who can read assembly here?
https://pastebin.com/ZWFx8V4i <- accused of containing a keylogger
>>
What does /g/ use their tablets for?
I got a decent case for an old iPad that was given to me so now I can finally stand it up. I was hoping I could use it as an accessory device and load up videos or music on it remotely, but I can't even do that without another iShit. It's still getting iOS11 and the split views actually seem useful so I might hold off on jailbreaking. Until then I have a relatively decent computing device that's not being used for anything just sitting in the background; what do?
>>
>>60814319
ask the person accusing you of putting it in there
>>
>>60814339
comfy posting
reading manga
reading books
taking notes
watching movies in the tube
>>
Is there something similar to ibsearch out there? That website is dead but I want to browse multiple popular boorus at once without using a 3rd party tool like Grabber.
I hate the interface on most boorus - no autopaging, small as shit thumbnails, burn your eyes out white background etc.
>>
>>60814105
>Crossdressing improves programming ability, it's scientific fact.
Not him but does it? I've seriously considering transitioning everyone tells me I have potential. But I only want to do it privately and post a few pics anonymously at best. My question is if it's possible to have a trapable body that lets you look very beautiful and feminine with the right clothing but also if I just put on a suit everyone will assume I'm a hetero respectable male. This is important for my job. And I'm asking seriously.
>>
>>60814246
somebody...
anybody...
>>
Is there a way to make an eBook DRM-free?
>>
I'm looking for a as cheap as possible bur also good computer mouse, preferably one that's durable and not bound to any shady software.
Any recommendations?
I would spend more but €20 (max. €35) is all I have left.
>>
How can i tell my RAM OC is good?
>>
>>60814535
convert to epub. I think calibre does it
>>
>>60814731
Sauce?
>>
as someone who has a very basic grasp on python, c, c# is it even worth it to go and get a compsci degree? I'm in my mid 20s and already have a shitty degree in a liberal art. sorry for not inherintly tech related.
>>
I've bought a new Dell Ultrasharp U251H monitor, and I can't turn it on.

All the cables are plugged in, but when I try and press the power button nothing happens. No indicator lights or anything displaying on the screen.

my pc does detect the monitor though, as there are resolution modes to pick from in xrandr.

xrandr --output DP2 --mode 
1024x768 1200x960 1280x720 1680x1050 1920x1080i 2048x1152 640x480 720x480 800x600
1152x864 1280x1024 1600x1200 1920x1080 1920x1200 2560x1440 720x400 720x576
>>
>>60813902
Well I was looking for something Class A and pushing at least 200 WPC at 8ohms in bridged mono mode. And at the price point it seems like a pair of stereo amps would be more within budget.
>>
I want to download JDownloader to my linux machine. Can I just grab the ad free installer, or is there anything I need to worry about?
>>
File: serveimage.png (414KB, 2858x1514px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
414KB, 2858x1514px
I keep getting this annoying window that pops up every hour and vanishes as soon as it shows. I don't think it is a command prompt because I looked at task scheduler and nothing sketchy is going on there. Also task manager doesn't have anything sketchy running. I'm just guessing it is windows doing something weird. Anyone know how to stop this?

It looks something like my pic, but it goes away too quickly for me to screenshot it.
>>
Is a yearly Gpu upgrade a bad idea? Assuming I can get a decent sum for my old one.
>got gtx 960 for $180, sold on Craigslist for $115 for quick sale
>get Rx 480 in October for $199
Is this trend sustainable?
>>
>>60811698
anybody? :DDDDDDDDDDD please
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-08-16-23-43.png (169KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-08-16-23-43.png
169KB, 1440x2560px
I'm trying to get Transdroid to work with my rtorrent/rutorrent server
I can access the web gui just fine from 192.168.1.60/rutorrent
However, I can't seem to get Transdroid to play nice, it always says "error during communication"
>>
>>60811160
On my t420 I had a bitch of a time getting 10 to work with bluetooth and cellular
>>
>>60810936
Razer Blade?
>>
>>60813422
use the notepad trick with steam
>host computer
>add non-steam game
>add notepad.exe
>stream
>press f1
>you now have full desktop control
>>
>>60814246
"how did I get accepted to a job that I'm not qualified for"
>>
>>60810500

posts on twitter "My death is not a suicide"

> kills himself

"rip my nigga "
"he had muh deepresshun"
>>
File: tumblr_og6w08IvcK1r8xg9ho1_1280.jpg (203KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_og6w08IvcK1r8xg9ho1_1280.jpg
203KB, 1200x900px
Whats the best distro and desktop enviroment for ricing?
>>
>>60811204
I had a motherboard that would have incredibly slow download/upload speeds if I didn't install the ethernet driver from the manufacturers website. But it would still technically work.
>>
>>60815284

My nigga I am not trying to spend 2k on a laptop
>>
File: file.png (119KB, 1576x440px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
119KB, 1576x440px
really makes you think
>>
File: idBeRightHappyTo.jpg (315KB, 1028x579px) Image search: [Google]
idBeRightHappyTo.jpg
315KB, 1028x579px
>>60810500
Can I work at google with an Information Systems degree? I really like programming but I'm not sure I want to deal with calc 2 in a comp sci curriculum.
>>
>>60812515
Any beep or blink codes?
>>
>>60814886
It depends on what you plan to do with that degree.

Considering the following:

-you are looking forward to immigrating to another country.
-you have parents/saving that can finance anon's college adventures
-it is important for you to get an annual income some 20 to 40k (USD) higher than you'd get without a degree

If at least two of those are true, yes you should join college, as long as it's not a shitty college, it ought to be in the world's top 100 at least.
>>
File: 1496427447420.jpg (60KB, 552x460px) Image search: [Google]
1496427447420.jpg
60KB, 552x460px
>>60811438
notice MEEEEE
>>
>>60814886

You're gonna get a bunch of meme posts like >>60815424 that shit on university but desu the prestige and connections that come with a degree can't be understated. A really dedicated sped who taught himself everything might be able to work his way into places with an impressive portfolio but the way our culture works you almost need degrees to get your foot in the door and be taken seriously otherwise. Just don't go into heavy debt trying to get your degree. You'd unfortunately probably have to go back for another bachelors rather than a masters.

So really it just depends whether you think you currently have the skills and social clout to get where you want to be without the degree or not.
>>
File: fs3ff.png (280KB, 456x690px) Image search: [Google]
fs3ff.png
280KB, 456x690px
Sooo randomly started getting this confetti on my screen, running an rx480 4gb

Definitely GPU hardware? I bought it this past december
>>
What's the best way to stream a Windows desktop live, with sound?

I'd like to self-host the stream server on a separate server (because I can't open a port for my server to act as a computer).

So ideally, PC -> Server -> Client (watching stream from PC)
>>
File: 1408353253959.jpg (5KB, 125x91px) Image search: [Google]
1408353253959.jpg
5KB, 125x91px
>>60815570
>confetti
>>
File: 1491968342456.png (132KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491968342456.png
132KB, 1000x1000px
>>60815570
>confetti
>>
File: 1478419648856.png (25KB, 90x135px) Image search: [Google]
1478419648856.png
25KB, 90x135px
I have a disk, one partition. Currently being used, ext4. I'd like to take 4GiBs from it, and make a swap partition without losing data. How do?
>>
File: received_1312160618899056.jpg (99KB, 2048x787px) Image search: [Google]
received_1312160618899056.jpg
99KB, 2048x787px
Do I need all of these? I play a lot of older games.
>>
>>60815535
I'm an autist, I can't socialize with anyone at all, both because people can't stand me and I can't stand people, it's just something that doesn't work. So that being said is college still worth it? If not with college how else can I get a respectable curriculum that will let me work with something respectable rather than as a code monkey?
>>
>>60815649
use your brain and copy the partitions to hdd drives

and google swap partition
>>
What software do you guys use to get detailed specs about the hardware on your PC. I'm trying to remember what my motherboard is so I can get a new processor. I used to have some software but I forget what it was called.
>>
File: 1408356265265.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1408356265265.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
>>60815740
just do online classes or just learn shit online for free
>>
>>60815734
No. Go ahead and delete them
>>
>>60810774
I have had like 10 separate people tell me that RAID is stupid. If you even mention using a built in RAID controller they freak out. I guess the problem is if your RAID controller dies you lose everything. They will then proceed to tell you that backing up is a better way to go.
>>
>>60811135
Works well if you are hooked up to internet
>>
>>60811707
Flip that switch on the back to 240V and go find a funny looking plug and a 240V circuit.
Either that or find the dead short inside...
>>
>>60815148
anyone?
>>
File: 1477799633810.png (8KB, 52x56px) Image search: [Google]
1477799633810.png
8KB, 52x56px
>>60815744
so, what you want me to do is dd if=partition1 of=diskwhichidonthave
then split and format partition1 to partitionnew1, partition2
then dd if=diskwhichidonthave of=partitionnew1, swapon partition2? looks boring, long, useless, and boring.
>>
>>60815041

also I can also add it with:

xrandr --output DP2 --left-of LVDS1 

and it appears to work - I can drag windows to and from my laptop screen and the monitor- but because I can't turn the monitor on, I can't see anything once i drag the windows onto it.
>>
>>60815808
How is that different from not having a degree.
>>
>>60815781
hwinfo, speccy
>>
Can someone post a shell script that, given a thread's url, downloads every image that isn't already in the current directory?
>>
gaymes are having way less fps after factory reset... where did i fuck up?
>>
>>60816140
How do you plan to relate the filenames to the existing ones in the directory you are using?
>>
>>60816180
Check if there's any drivers that need to be updated
>>
File: stupid bitch.jpg (30KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
stupid bitch.jpg
30KB, 615x409px
If my Aorus 1080Ti is clocking well above 1900Mhz out of the box is it even worth overclocking it myself? I hear they have problems overclocking anyway.
>>
File: Beloved680.png (1MB, 555x891px) Image search: [Google]
Beloved680.png
1MB, 555x891px
Does it look burnt?
>>
>>60816197
good point... i guess i could subtract all the filenames in the folder from the ones found on the thread
>>
>>60816239
>is it even worth overclocking it myself?
That's up to you...
>>
>>60816134
Thank you, hwinfo is what I was thinking of
>>
I want to use just the pedals from an old racing wheel and pedals combination that connects via serial port. Can't find the wheel, just want to use the pedals for some keybinds in games. I've plugged it in, but no matter what I do I can't recognize or get any input from the device. I've tried the driver from the manufacturer, but it won't work without the pedal too.

Is there some utility out there to get input from obscure serial devices?

I mostly just want to use it with JoyToKey, if that's possible. I'm using Windows 7.
>>
>>60816180
Is Windows completely updated?
>>
>>60816258
YES
>>
>>60816315
The pedals are probably dead if your PC can't detect it
>>
>>60815734
Most applications only use the latest installed version, but I wouldn't touch any of them. They don't take up much disk space, they don't hog system resources or hurt anything, and you never know when you'll want to run some shitty old program that needs an old version
>>
>>60816372
Ok. I know nothing about serial devices. What's supposed to happen when you plug them in? Will it show up somewhere in Device Manager?
>>
>>60816403
Yeah. At the very least you want your PC to detect an "Unknown Device", if you can, find an adapter and try that too
>>
I've been mining ethereum for 6 hours on my RX 570 and got nothing to show for it what gives? My wallet still reads 0, shouldn't I have a small fraction by now?
>>
>>60815535
Thanks I even appreciate the meme responses like >>60815424 I have a few things going for me. I have the gi bill so college wouldn't be ultra expense. I just feel so lost. I've been jumping from job to job until my whole section got laid off. I like coding. It makes "sense" to me for the most part. I appreciate the comment though.
>>
>>60815324
Yes exactly
Everyone needs to start somewhere
>>
So I'm trying to transfer files to another drive. When I try to copy paste its only grabbing some of the files. Of the 2 tb I'm trying to move it keeps trying to only move 350 GB or so. What am I missing?
>>
>>60816511
How exactly are you trying to transfer the files? Did you try the command line? Did you try to clone the drive?
>>
>>60815329
Arch Linux for its vanilla packages and lack of things pre-configured or pre-installed. I think jebian is also popular sometimes. /g/'s favorite desktop environment is xfce the many people here love i3.

is the whole page about riceing on the wiki.
>>
>>60815250
Anyone?
>>
>>60810673
I can do it
t. FBI
>>
File: pepe.jpg (9KB, 236x205px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
9KB, 236x205px
>>60816239
>>60816273
This shits blowing my mind.

It's sitting at 2000Mhz after a tiny overclock, with the fans at 0% it is sitting just a hair under 90C at 99% load. I'm sure it's not healthy to do this as I'm not sure what the implications are of having zero airflow over the PCB, but fuck me this cooler impressive. I just wish it didn't look like a 12 year old designed it.
>>
>>60816629
>90C
>Your GPU will be blown soon too
>>
>>60812116
windows 7 is 8 years old
>>
>>60816511
>>60816581
So I think I figured it out. I did a fresh install on a ssd and was trying to move files from one HDD to another. But since I was trying to from the ssd I didn't have permissions. How do I turn off all the permission stuff?
>>
>>60815041
DOA backlight?
can you see anything if you look really closely with a bright light shining on it?
>>
File: phone.jpg (21KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
21KB, 640x480px
I need to pull some photos from an old phone with no service, and I can't find any drivers to connect it through USB.
It's a Motorola W376g Tracfone pic related.

It's the only thing that has any pictures of my dog that died yesterday.
I need help.
>>
>>60815250
isn't transdroid just for transmission?
>>
>>60815649
unmount it, resize it (-4GiB), make a new partition in the free space, format it as swap, add it to your fstab
>>
File: 4133.jpg (107KB, 662x496px) Image search: [Google]
4133.jpg
107KB, 662x496px
does anyone know what this is, I've never seen it, there's three blue lines running horizontally across the screen, they very slowly fade away then come back like once a day, turning off the laptop turning it back on doesn't do anything. they just come and go whenever, but they seem longer each time.
>>
>>60814216
Brand matters a little if you care about their customer support, other than that, not really. Stock clock doesn't matter at all, overclock yourself.

>>60814241

ffmpeg works on windows.

>>60814268
If you don't need to boot off it, you can just set up the RAID using Windows and ignore everything Marvell does.

>>60814339
porn, shitposting, twitch, writing notes with stylus.

>>60811438
Using torrents over tor makes you an asshole.

>>60815582

Easiest way is OBS to twitch or youtube live if you don't mind it being public.

>>60810774
Software is fine. If you need more ports, used Dell/HP RAID cards are good value.

>>60816443
If you're mining solo the expected time to get anything is about a year. If you're doing it in a pool you should be up to about 0.005ETH now.

>>60816880
Does it have Bluetooth? If so you've got better odds of getting that to work on a modern machine.
>>
>>60816830
It won't let you give yourself permission? Is there an administrator account on the other drive or something?
>>
>>60816947
screen burn-in, you have anything up there that the UI lines up with those lines? Happens a lot to security monitors that display the same outlines 24/7.
>>
>>60816880
A thread that includes a link to driver downloads:
<https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-and-WX-Series/Tracfone-W376g-Transferring-Pictures-to-PC-and-BT-Connectivity/td-p/2982834>
Be warned, elsewhere, I'm seeing that Tracphone locked out the USB data capabilities for that phone. You may have better luck accessing it via Bluetooth, if the cable connection doesn't work once the drivers are installed.
>>
Is it possible to install windows 7 on a computer that has Windows 10 pre installed?
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-FURY-2x4GB-1600MHz/dp/B00J8E93G6/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1496973552&sr=1-3&keywords=ddr3+ram

Is this RAM 240 pin?
>>
>>60816880
from what i can see, the phone supports photo transfer only by MMS (and MMS>email gateway)
>>
>>60816973
>>60816993
Phone has Bluetooth, but I've never fucked with Bluetooth before.
What do I need?
>>
>>60817002
Yes. There may not be drivers to get full hardware support though.

>>60817009
Yes.
>>
>>60817020
A USB bluetooth stick.
>>
>>60817020
If you're using a recent laptop it probably already has a BT radio on-board. If not, there are inexpensive BT dongles for USB.
As for software ro use to talk to it: honestly, search for your phone model and syncing software or phone management software.
>>
>>60817020
from what i've read, the phone uses bluetooth only for handsfree (wireless headset/car calling)
>>
>>60817068
>>60817071
So I'm fucked.
The only photos of my dog, they're the size of a postage stamp, and they're trapped on a phone that's likely to die soon.
>>
>>60817020
If it has a sim card, check and see if the pictures are stored on your card or in phone memory, you may be able to read them off the card.
If all else fails, talk to tracfone's customer disservice people, get it reactivated with very few minutes, making damn sure that doesn't reinit the phone, which would wipe your pictures, and send them off to your self.
Oh, and don't forget this bit of buggery they're doing the next time you get the urge to use them.
>>
>>60817151
is there no way to get temporary prepaid service on it? just to mms>email your photos over?
it'll cost you a little bit, but it doesn't look like there's any other way this is going to happen

that was a VERY basic phone, not indended for any kind of serious photo taking
>>
I'm thinking about installing a linux distro on a netbook. I've never used linux before, and would like something lightweight and secure.

What are some good options?
>>
>>60817167
It's under Additional Storage Device, so maybe?
But I think anything I could find said that SIM cards couldn't hold photos, just text data. But what the fuck do I know?
>>
One of my hard drives died, and it's not one I was backing up. I'm pretty sure that by chance I moved almost everything I'd care about onto another drive a few months earlier, but I'm not sure. Is there any way to look at the filenames on a failed drive, even if the files themselves might not be recoverable?
>>
>>60817310
>I've never used linux before, and would like something lightweight
this is an easy trap to fall into
there are many options, from things like KDE/Gnome all the way down to just text (yes, you can actually do quite a lot without any graphics at all)
but the "lighter" you go, the more you'll need to be familiar with the system in order to make the most out of it, making it a bad choice for beginners

what i'm saying is, pick something common and "big" like kde/gnome/mate/cinnamon/etc to start with, then look at other options later. you can change anything without reinstalling
>>
>>60817342
The idea is to hold off on potentailly destructive acts like reactivating the phone, until all else has failed. Go through the manual, see how to get the sim out, then try reading it on another machine.
>>
>>60817424
Getting the sim out is easy, I just slide it out from behind the battery. The problem is getting something that will read this archaic bullshit and whether or not my photos are there at all.
>>
>>60817424
The SIM can't hold photos.
>>
>>60817424
If it's a GSM phone, there's nothing potentially destructive with reactivating, just stick the new card from the new operator in.
>>
>>60817310
I was in your position a week ago. I went with Ubuntu and I'm happy with it
>>
File: Screenshot_20170608-215541.png (76KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170608-215541.png
76KB, 720x1280px
Wat do?
>>
My internet provider just brought a new modem and there's no WiFi. Only my PC has internet since it's connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.
My sis is asking me to check out what's going on, but I dunno what to do.
>>
>>60817623
what's the problem?
>>
Is it okay to leave my laptop on all the time and just leave it in sleep mode?
>>
>>60816973
>>60810774
ok, but what i only have SATA 3Gb/s while the raid card can be 6Gb/s
>>
>>60817700
Doesn't matter, HDDs aren't fast enough to fill SATA 3Gb/s link.
>>
>>60817693
Yes.
>>
>>60817674
You need a wireless router. Doesn't need to be anything expensive. Your old modem probably had it built in.
>>
>>60817674
Call the provider's tech support. Ask them where the WiFi went.
>>
>>60817739
Are you being sarcastic or is it actually ok to do so?
>>
mpv users, is this a good config for youtube-dl integration?

--profile=opengl-hq 
--ytdl-format="(bestvideo[vcodec=mp4][vcodec!=vp9][fps=60][height<=?1440]/bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][fps=60][height>720]/bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][fps=60]/bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9][height>720]/bestvideo[vcodec!=vp9])[protocol!=http_dash_segments][tbr>=1500]+(bestaudio[acodec=opus]/bestaudio[acodec=aac]/bestaudio)/best"
--af-defaults=lavrresample=o=[resampler=soxr]
--cache-initial=0
--cache=4096
--scale=haasnsoft
--cscale=ewa_lanczos
--dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
--tscale=oversample
--interpolation=yes
--video-sync=display-resample
--framedrop=vo
--vo=vdpau
--vf=vdpaupp:hqscaling=1

i have nvidia gpu (hence the vdpaupp.hqscaling)

the issue i have is that some HD videos on youtube pause and lose connection often
i use git versions for both mpv and youtube-dl

example vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fky_AQ9YwlU

works fine in browser, on mpv pause every few seconds (but not consistently) and then dies out eventually
>>
>>60817802
i also dont want vp9
>>
>>60817802
maybe your internet connection is inconsistent (wifi?)
try a larger buffer (cache)
>>
>>60817779
It's totally fine to do. My laptop hasn't been shut down for nearly 2 months now, half of which is in sleep.
>>
>>60817815
not wifi, ethernet -> high speed cable (even had cumcast do a test of stability)
sometimes it works for hours, other times videos are unwatchable
720p/1080p are the skippers, though not all videos
anything less works fine
i've tried cache at 16384 and 32768 and still skip
>>
>>60817779
Are YOU being sarcastic right now?
>>
This is a really vague question but do I /git gud/ with technology? How do I become /g/? I want to have a future in working with computers, whether it programming, computer repair, etc. How do I do it the /g/ way?
>>
Whats the best police radar detection app for android?
>>
File: 1466221802782.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1466221802782.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>60817840
>>
>>60817850
How old are you? It's possible that it may be too late for you to start a career in this field
>>
So more or less this is my current "set up" if you could even call it that.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/swYMYr
Tried to match the parts best i could shit is getting old. Anyway I'm not huge into PC gaming atm but still play some games from time to time (Nothing graphic intensive)

My question is

Could i just slap a 1050Ti or possibly a 1060 maybe some better ram and that can get me by till i feel like dropping major dosh for a new everything? I'd maybe find a decent 1080 monitor

Thoughts?
>>
>>60817954
Yes. The 2500K is still a respectable chip. A 1050 Ti for casual gaming should work nicely.
>>
>>60817918
18, just finished high school
>>
>>60817954
If you're aiming for 60FPS the 2500K is still pretty solid, just a GPU upgrade is sensible.
>>
I got an old surface pro 2 to doodle on with the pen. Running windows 10 to see if it'd be any good on what was once a flagship microsoft product. Not impressed. But my real problem is thus:

I've installed Krita for drawing. and it works. But the keyboard gets in the way of drawing, so I want to pull it off. However, when I do, krita no longer recognizes the pressure sensitivity of the pen, even if I plug the keyboard back in again. I have to restart the program entirely.

It annoys me.
>>
>>60817997
>>60818024

Should I bother with a RAM upgrade too?
>>
How important is the RAM speed anyways? I choose the DDR4-2800 but I see a lot of people recommending 3000+
>>
>>60818065
Wouldn't make a huge difference, 8GB's generally sufficient and speed isn't that big a deal for most situations.
>>
>>60818065
8gb is fine. It's up to you whether you want to, but I would recommend you don't put any more money into an old system. At least the 1050 Ti can be installed in a newer system.
>>
>>60818011
Oh ok. Yeah just go to college and study compsci or information technology. Be sure to network and intern/volunteer while in school. You should be good as long as you stay dedicated
>>
>>60818105

Yeah the plan is to just tweek this old rig and make it last that little bit longer for my current casual needs then get a very nice set up. Just can't justify a new rig if I'm not playing anything that really needs it ya know? seems like a waste.
>>
a formatted a USB thumb drive to install Ubuntu but I want to restore normal use to it.what's the best way to reformat a bootable USB key?
>>
I did the steps in the image here >>60811529 in regards to the xml tracker on certain 4chan boards people found, but I don't see the tracker at all in the behind the scenes list, nor did noscript ever list it.

Did I fuck up or did I just luck out and aren't affected, since that seems to be the case with some people
>>
File: 1495192078367.jpg (82KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495192078367.jpg
82KB, 600x720px
Should I transition from ANSI to JIS?
I find myself using runes more and more these days. My biggest concern is laptops, because importing them is a bitch and a half and none that I know of let me simply change keyboard layouts because modularity is bad for business.
>>
>>60818828
>runes
>>
>>60817850
>How do I do it the /g/ way?
Install LibreBoot on an old ThinkPad while crossdressing.
Don't do things the /g/ way.
>>
Firefox is ignoring my hosts file. I followed the guide in /cyb/ but didn't notice until after, so I'm not sure if thats what did it or if it was doing it prior to that. Anyone know how to fix that?
>>
>>60818835
Don't meme arrow me. Using only romanji and hiragana basically outs you as a gaijin.
>>
I have a big container of crushed red pepper that I bought quite a while ago, at least a year or more, doesn't have a date on it but is it still good most likely?
>>
>>60818863
Depends on what exactly you want to do with it.
>>
>>60818892
Was gonna put it on some chicken.

I dunno maybe I'll just taste a bit and see if it seems off.
>>
If was properly dried and its been sealed and stored in a dark place it is probably fine. Either way, it probably wont make you sick. Might just have a dusty taste to it. The capsaicin will keep most of the bad stuff at bay.
>>
Be honest with me, /g/. How stable is KDE5? KDE4? I love fvwm and its extensibility, but Krita pulls in all these dependencies; I'm basically installing the whole KDE at this point, so I figured I'd go balls-deep. Furthermore, I know that there isn't a DE-agnostic GUI to configure wacom tablets, so I'd need KDE to configure my wacom tablet, anyways. I'd like to know if I can get rid of pretty much the entirety of KDE minus the dm and still use all my perl modules.

Most of all though, I want to know if you can keep a KDE desktop on for days on end. Last time I used KDE5, I was so pissed off at how often it would crash. What's the point of a DE if it literally crashes every other day? A WM is simple, spartan, and reliable. I want reliability.
>>
Which is better between AOSP and Lineage for general performance and battery life?
>>
What's the best way to give my desktop a connection when the wireless router is downstairs?
Pcie wireless adapter, USB wireless adapter, powerline adapter?
>>
Can I take the hdd from a laptop and put it into a new laptop of the same exact make/model and have it work?
>>
>>60819357
Generally yes.

>>60819074
Best is run an ethernet cable. If not possible, either PCIe WiFi or powerline, depends on conditions.

>>60818304
Assuming Windows, run Explorer, right click, format. Or if it's split into multiple or one small partition, command prompt, diskpart, list disk, sel disk n, clean, create partition primary.
>>
File: 1488673014402.jpg (57KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488673014402.jpg
57KB, 480x480px
One of the cookies or data of 4chan is making the page load permanently, for what I can tell is the local storage, what can I do to see if this is the problem and what can I do to fix it?
>>
File: Capt1ure.png (116KB, 1325x629px) Image search: [Google]
Capt1ure.png
116KB, 1325x629px
Which updates aren't telemetry[spoiler][/spoiler]
>>
How well in comparison to random entropy from SDR's will this do: http://bredsaal.dk/generating-entropy-with-a-wireless-network-card
>>
Can a linux virus infect the machine if it's located on usb stick when plugged in but not mounted?
>>
4MB of text is how many words?
>>
>>60819844
wolframalpha says the average english word length is 5.1 characters
adding one character for a space between each word, and assuming plain ASCII encoding (1 byte per character), so 6.1 bytes per word + a space
4MB (4,000,000 bytes) divided by 6.1 bytes = 655737.705 words
>>
>>60819935
>>60819844
-- also worth noting that plain english text is very compressible

looking at
http://www.maximumcompression.com/data/text.php
shows ratios close to 90%
>>
>>60819935
>>60819978
Huh ok, would it make much of a difference if it was 4MB of Japanese text?
>>
>>60819992
yes, both because;
a. the average length of a japanese word may be different to english (or any other language)
b. japanese text has more complicated encodings, afaik the most common are UTF-8 and Shift-JIS, both of which are variable length, which complicates finding an average (not longer strictly 1 character = 1 byte)
>>
File: 1486119269213.png (363KB, 424x444px) Image search: [Google]
1486119269213.png
363KB, 424x444px
How do you "shrink" an excel spreadsheet if you accidentally scrolled down to the 100.000 bottom cells?
Shit's loading slow now.
>>
If technology advanced enough that you could just plug yourself into a wall outlet and get energy from the electrical grid rather than needing to get it from food, would it be worth it? Or would it be cheaper to just eat?
>>
>>60820422
It would be way cheaper assuming efficiency is good. The human body only uses like less than 100 watts. Taking that directly from the grid would probably use less energy than it took to prepare the food anyway.
>>
>>60810687
why would you have bridged stereo amplifiers in the first place?
>>
>>60810700
it's an error message, those are common in windows op systems.
>>
>>60811412
yes, it's called folders ;)
>>
>>60812183
have you tried to turn it on and off again?
>>
Is Authorize.net safe to use to buy something from an ebay seller? Never used it before but this guy insists on using it and not paypal
>>
I need an ssh connection to a raspberry pi on 4g. Talked to my service provider, they won't forward any ports.

How do I get around this?
>>
>>60819496
There are no individual updates any more.
>>
Is a 650W Corsair power source good enough for a i7 4790 @3.6GHz and a GTX 1070?
>>
>>60820865
>>
>>60820904
Displaying scanned copies of shit is a weak point of tablets. You can do ok if the DPI is very high, but I would try to avoid it. Paperwhite is good if you just want to read a lot of books, but they generally don't do much else. A used one is cheap enough that you can get it and a normal tablet if you need to.
>>
Let's suppose I have several servers running behind NATs, I can't access them directly.

I have a server X that I want to use for reverse tunnels to get access to the servers. The problem is, I want to be able to connect at X:80 or X:443 and depending on the hostname (or even better, some kind of setting on server X), get a connection to one of the servers.

Example:
I have two servers example1 and example2 running behind NATs. When I connect to 1.x.com:80 I want to access example1:80 and when I connect to 2.x.com:80 I want to access example2:80. Both 1.x.com and 2.x.com resolve to server x.

How?
>>
>>60820942
does the screen size matter that much? It's so hard finding anything over 6".
>>
If I install i3-gaps, does it run as a separate installation of i3 entirely, or does it just sit on top of my current one?
>>
>>60821112
Not especially. People read actual books that small.
>>
Got a XONAR DG sound card.
Whenever I set the analog input to Rear Headphones (dolby + headphone amp) I hear a quiet electrical noise interference.
Thing is, I think this is because of my GPU. However, when GPU goes under load, like if I run a stress test, then this EMI noise disappears and sound card works fine.
Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here? Because all I was able to find in Google is the reverse situation when the more GPU load is = the more "noisy" your sound card gets.
>>
File: Paj33t.jpg (27KB, 276x416px) Image search: [Google]
Paj33t.jpg
27KB, 276x416px
What course do systems administrators take? Is it I.T. or compsci.
>>
All I need is the memory for my new computer, then I have all the essentials.
RAM should cost about $100 CAD (trying to get 16GB kit)
However, I found someone selling his old computer for $250, which has i7 950, so could theoretically put another $50-100 on the price for a Xeon X5600 CPU, so I could get 6 cores/12 threads.
My question is, which path should I take for it? Get the RAM, which means my Skylake system can be put to use finally. Or, get the computer, and use it instead?
>>
File: eror.png (53KB, 585x817px) Image search: [Google]
eror.png
53KB, 585x817px
i have windows 10. i reset my solid state drive containing my os, wiped it, and reinstalled w10. now i don't have windows store app, sticky notes, calculator, etc. (default apps) and i can't download them (i click the "get this free" link on the windows store site and nothing happens; i've tried this in chrome and in microsoft edge).

at first i didn't even have a program to view pictures with and had to download some stuff i don't even remember, but now my viewer looks like the older, white windows 7 one.

i've tried using windows powershell and the files i need aren't there. i've tried copying over c:/program files/WindowsApps from my external backup but i don't have permissions to paste them, and i've tried going into regedit and changing permissions beforehand. i've tried using a windows 10 troubleshooter and it did nothing.

i'm so lost, please help. nothing i've found via google has helped at all
>>
>>60812846
Using a computer and restoring it is the only way.
>>
>>60810722
Get Belkin or Logitech
>>60810936
Idk your budget but get a console. Doubt there will be that many pc fags at uni so if you want to play with anyone else, get consol. Otherwise any serious gaming laptop is at least $800.
>>60811135
It's Windows not Linux you're fine.
>>60811251
If you're using USB-C 3.0, there is a Google sheet of all the officially supported cords and chargers so you don't fuck up your shit. Otherwise it's mainly the amperage of the device. Check what your stock charger usually is and get a charger that is similar to it. If you charge at an amperage too high, it will charge faster but drain your battery. Too low and it will struggle to charge at all.
>>60811438
>not doing only at night
>>60811731
squarespace or godaddy
>>60811982
Pretty much anything as long as it's relatively new
>>60812168
Data structures and abstractions with Java.
>>60812515
Have you tried reinstalling your OS? Otherwise see if you can pop it open and check if all the cables are connected properly.
>>60812548
Install gentoo
>>60812677
Stop using IE, start using Lastpass
>>60813248
Try using a proxy. Really easy on Android.
>>
>>60812548
I see that overclocking is very stable on fedora
>>
File: 1.jpg (35KB, 720x529px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
35KB, 720x529px
redpill me on closed liquid coolers
also does the liquid never dries out?
>>
I accidentally opened on an exe I downloaded from usenet, what should I do
>>
>>60822128
You're fucked. Sorry bro. Wipe with a magnet and get a new pc.
>>
Why should I use protonmail/kolabnow/<some other privacy webservice> instead of the email service that comes with my shared host plan?
>>
>>60813773
>are cyberpower gayming pcs a meme?
Prebuilt ones? No idea. Their "pick your parts and we'll assemble it for you" service? A friend of mine used it and was very happy, although that means you're too much of a pussy to build it yourself and that's just pathetic.
>>
Is battery drain in 6.0.1 real or is my battery on nexus 7 just old?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.