[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help settle the OS war.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 1494718664484.jpg (746KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1494718664484.jpg
746KB, 2048x1536px
Can we settle this shit once and for all with a serious debate?

I want to know the nitty, gritty details about the inner workings of Windows 10 and Mac OS High Sierra.

Which is superior for both "Le epic haxxor developer" and typical "normalfag" day to day use? Which is the most secure? Which is the most stable?

>gayming is not a part of the debate.
>looks/aesthetics don't apply
>feelings towards Apple hardware does not apply

We are focusing purely on the operating systems themselves.

Both sides should present only clear facts and please refrain from name calling strawman ad hominem shitposting. I'm posting this so late in hopes that nighttime /g/ will come out to play and help put this fight to an end.

Thank you.

>pic unrelated
>>
>OS war
>Windows 10 vs Mac OS
Is this what /g/ has become?
>>
>>60803530
I'm assuming we all know that Linux has it's place for certain applications. But this debate focuses on the two biggest desktop OS's
>>
Linux is best for making phone calls.
>>
Nobody knows the inner workings of Windows 10, not even Microsoft.

Someone post that greentext about adding a context menu item to Windows.
>>
>>60803490
macOS for CEO's and public figures while they're out in public.
Windows for middle management
Linux for developers
>>
>>60803581
Please expand upon this claim. What did Microsoft mess up?
>>
>>60803490
>M'cuck
Mac is relatively more secure than windows.
Mac can be described as a locked box: you can't change what's inside easily.
Mac is expensive as fuck and can't be afforded easily.
Mac Hardware Costs Too Much for What You Get
Macs Have Fewer Viruses and Require Less Maintenance
Other Apple devices work best with Apple computers

>WinDOS
Windows Has More Software
Windows Offers Greater Flexibility
Windows Offers a Better Gaming Experience
Windows PCs offer support for cutting-edge hardware
Windows offers great backwards-compatibility
Windows is the same platform most of the world uses
>>
>>60803581
>Nobody knows the inner workings of Windows 10, not even Microsoft.
this. This is not even satire.
>>
>>60803594
This doesn't explain much. You are focusing on appearances instead of the inner workings of the OS's and which features make one better than the other.
>>
>>60803606
I must know more. What did Microsoft do to fuck it up so badly? This reminds me of the story about Jaguar engineers who couldn't fix their own car despite it breaking down in the damn factory.
>>
>>60803490
You can't simply exclude this. Apple does vendor lock-in both hardware and software wise.

Software wise it's a no-brainer btw.
>>
>>60803596
>>60803635
They keep reusing the same 20 year old codebase that nobody understands anymore because everyone who did no longer works at Microsoft for one reason or another.
>>
>>60803616
you fucking tool, the inner workings of the OS provide the requirements for those 3 demographics. What the fuck are you looking for? Source code?
>>
File: y6clspP[1].jpg (690KB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
y6clspP[1].jpg
690KB, 1300x4704px
>>60803581
>>60803596
>>60803635
>>
>>60803635
>>60803682
let me break it down even more

macs are good for presentations because you can't fuck shit up with such a limited requirement, it looks nice on a desk.

Windows hides everything from people and is good for editing documents, writing email and reading msn.com

Linuxs open source, hackable ideology lends itself well to development because it's easily understood by developers and its open nature makes it easy to develop on and for.
>>
>>60803665
Ohh for the legacy support stuff? Well I guess it's nice to have that stuff around. I know it comes in handy for some engineers and whatnot.
>>
>>60803682
>What the fuck are you looking for? Source code?

Yes actually. I want to know which OS has the strongest, most reliable "foundation."
>>
>>60803732
>Well I guess it's nice to have that stuff around. I know it comes in handy for some engineers and whatnot.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH WHAT?????
>>
>>60803732
Not for backwards compatibility or anything, they're just too lazy to rewrite it.
And if someone tries to on their own initiative, they get yelled at by their manager because they aren't allowed to just fix stuff.
>>
>>60803490
>day to day use?
They both have their ugly parts. Windows updates are often a pain in the ass and take MUCH longer than than a sane update mechanism (i.e. apt dist-upgrade) would. Mac updates are also kinda slow, but they usually work and don't randomly fail-loop. Mac storage performance is bad because of their shitty fs, and Apple hardware likes to throttle. (Un-) Installing stuff is easier on a mac, because you just copy/delete a folder.
>Which is the most secure?
macOS, because it gets attacked less.
>Which is the most stable?
NT-based Windows > macOS > DOS-based Windows. I've seen more crashes in the 3 years i was forced to use a Mac at work than I have seen in the last two decades gaming on Windows. NT4 killed the "Windows crashes constantly" meme in the late 90s.
>>
>>60803747
I heard somewhere that engineers are finicky about sticking to old software and shit. Hence why so many people (including engineers I suppose) clung to XP for dear life.
>>
>>60803745
Fucking TOP KEK

Wangblows: Good luck m8, go become a senior engineer at Microsoft
MacOS: based on freebsd, part of what's in a mac can be found here: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd & don't ask me what parts because you'll need to again go work for applel.
Linux: https://github.com/torvalds/linux
>>
>>60803754
Well shit. That sucks
>>
>>60803581

The weird ass font rendering proves that one anon right
>>
>>60803762
are you for real? Am I being trolled?
>>
This is like asking what is better, a chainsaw, a katana, or a pick axe. They all do similar shit, and can pretty much do the same shit. But some will do that shit better than the others depending upon the shit that needs done.
>>
>>60803773
Bruh, I'm a fucking casual user...that's why I'm here asking which OS is best. I'm just looking for opinions from people who seriously know their shit. One of the reasons I've heard time and time again for people sticking to Wangblows is comparability with old software etc.
>>
>>60803788
>compatibility
>>
>>60803702

Fake
>>
>>60803788
Okay. So, they didn't cling to XP for dear life, there was nothing better to upgrade to. Vista was a total disaster and Windows 7 wasn't out yet.
Windows 8+ was shit and riddled with bugs, inconsistencies and top level malware.

Then you get those guys who buy a PC and never fucking do shit with it. No security upgrades, nothing. These are by far the majority.

Engineers have complicated jobs and prefer simplicity, this does not mean old code, it means simple code. Running things through a command line is much simpler and far less error prone that what normies expect to use, GUIs.

So, engineers don't want to be "dazzled" by shiny macshit when the internals are inefficient, inconsistent and abusively restrictive. They can't do their work with that.

Windows suffers the same problem but with the most invasive spyware currently on the market bundled into Windows 10.

Now you wanted the fucking source code, yet you're a casual user? I don't understand what you hope to find there.
>>
>>60803770
font rendering is shit-tier on both.
>windows
what the fuck were they thinking
>mac
start with something somewhat working, add greyscale blur
>>
>>60803829
I didn't want to read through source code and a bunch of stuff I wouldn't understand. I just wanted an opinion on which OS has the most elegant or well thought out structure and design and to know which OS has the best designed code going on behind the scenes as in what's going on behind the GUI. So far it seems Windows is a joke when it comes to development and engineering. Also, everyone loves Linux, so we can agree that Linux has it's uses. But is Windows useless, or is it actually useful for stuff other than gayming?
>>
>>60803552
Andoid is Linux and is a desktop OS so your thread is flawed.
>>
>>60803892
Windows is useful if the professional software that you're required to use ,to fulfill your needs, is only available on Windows.

I would recommend a mac to a non-tech user as an alternative and Linux as a must to a tech-savvy user.

At this point, regardless of code quality, the malware that comes pre-installed on Windows 10 makes it impossible for me to recommend to anyone because I don't want to harm them.
>>
File: 1494812558943.png (456KB, 696x938px) Image search: [Google]
1494812558943.png
456KB, 696x938px
>>60803490
>>
File: 1467293117149.png (273KB, 673x888px) Image search: [Google]
1467293117149.png
273KB, 673x888px
>>60803959

>impossible for me to recommend to anyone because I don't want to harm them.

>I would recommend a mac

Literally cuckOS.
>>
>>60804005
yeah, it's not my first choice but I'm also not going to recommend linux to a non-tech user because then I have to answer a million questions.
>>
File: 1486896784057.jpg (89KB, 919x865px) Image search: [Google]
1486896784057.jpg
89KB, 919x865px
>>60804059
>i wouldn't recommend the ms botnet
>i would rather recommend the apple botnet bundled with the ms botnet
>>
>>60803490
>Can we settle this shit once and for all with a serious debate?

You know where you are, right?

>I want to know the nitty, gritty details about the inner workings of Windows 10 and Mac OS High Sierra.

Not open source, so you will never know.

>Which is superior for both "Le epic haxxor developer" and typical "normalfag" day to day use?

These types of users are polar opposites.

>Which is the most secure? Which is the most stable?

Talking about stability/security and not including Linux or BSD, kek.

>Both sides should present only clear facts and please refrain from name calling.

Hahahaha.Y-y-you know where you are, riiiiiiight?
>>
A lot of haxors use macs
>>
>>60803490

>gayming is not a part of the debate.
...Why are we excluding a use case so enormous it is Microsoft's second biggest revenue stream, ahead of Windows itself and all Office products?

What? Why the fuck shouldn't they? You can make the best OS on the planet but if I can't run it on the hardware I have, it's of no use to me and considering OS' are tools for getting work/recreation done, actually being able to use it is pretty crucial. And before you say "Hackintosh is easy": No, it isn't. For the overwhelming majority of computer users and even a significant number of developers, that nonsense is at best a total crapshoot and at worst totally out of reach.

Getting the distinct impression you're trying to skew this one for Apple, fuck off.
>>
NetBSD
>>
>>60803490
>Help settle the tool war!
>Which of these tools is the best at cutting trees? A hammer, a drill or a bicycle?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.