[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Projector

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 8286288104_4ba15e966d_b.jpg (167KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
8286288104_4ba15e966d_b.jpg
167KB, 800x532px
What is the best 1080p projector under $500?
I don't mind buying refurbished but only if available on Amazon, not worried about lamp life.
>>
There isn't one you dumb fuck. And there's no goose that shits golden eggs either.

Good option:
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-1080p-Projector-HT2050/dp/B016JYOQ3W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496899448&sr=8-2&keywords=benq+1080p+projector

Lesser option:
https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD142X-Lumens-Theater-Projector/dp/B01HQCF6R6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496899481&sr=1-4&keywords=1080p+projector
>>
>>60803496
You literally answered the question as you denied its existence.
At least you're useful..
>>
Neither is under 500. I'll admit the Optoma surprised me with how close it was. I just get very salty about people cheaping out on projectors. It's a work thing.
>>
>>60803602
Why the salt Anon? It could influence another anons opinion on cheaping out.
>>
I mostly see portable projectors or ballroom grade projectors, not home theater stuff with the exception of my own 1080p projector that I paid over 900 for a few years ago. My typical beefs with the portables are shitty output (lumens 2000 or under), poor adjustability, retarded throw distance, and idiotic interfaces.

Most of those things aren't an issue in permanent installations. I'd check out the Wirecutter's 1080p projector article (that's where the BenQ comes from). For home use, you have to focus on image quality and color reproduction. Just resign yourself to cutting all ambient light out of the room, because 2000 or 3000 lumens isn't enough to fight sunlight or fluorescents. Don't pay for a screen or that expensive screen goo paint. Just use white primer. Don't even bother with actual paint. Maybe mud the wall first if you feel comfortable with it.
>>
Oh, and throw distance is also important in home use. If it's a small room (bedroom) you've gotta figure out how big of an image you can actually get. Throw distance calculators are easily googled. You'll need to put in the lower of the throw ratio values on the specific model you're looking at to figure out your potential image size based on the depth of the room.

Also a general rule to spread around for the portables is to never, ever buy a projector that's smaller than your head. Pico projectors are trash, and this is universally true unless they're laser-driven, and I don't think that's a thing in picos yet.
>>
>>60803602
>>60803713
Appreciate the advice, room lighting is not a problem, I'm already down to less than theater darkness. The room color is neutral gray and I've eliminated light from the one window. The door(s) both face unlit areas of the house. Basically when I close the doors and turn off the light it's really hard to tell if it's night or day in there. I do this because I used to work night-shift and couldn't sleep in any light whatsoever. My wife used to hate it but now she can't even sleep in hotel rooms any more. Once you get your bedroom that dark nothing else is good enough, which makes it ideal for a projector.

And I don't care about having the best of the best. This is only a bedroom solution for lazy morning/afternoon gaming sessions and the occasional movie that will inevitably be interrupted by married missionary sex.

I have a chinese 720p projector now and while the resolution is adequate the color reproduction and black levels are abysmal. Figured I'd return it and get something a little more costly but better.
>>
>>60803741
Did the math, 120-140 is the maximum I can get, depending on the native throw distance of the projector I get. With the current one I managed 120 without much brightness loss. My wall can only handle around 150 full size, and I wouldn't be able to place anything near it if that's the case. So 120 is just right.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.