[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cell phone hacked?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0850.jpg (45KB, 400x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0850.jpg
45KB, 400x427px
I can't find information for this anywhere, so I'm sorry if this is a noob question guys, but my phone got hacked

All I did was text a number from Craigslist, and someone started doing transactions on my credit card from China.

I'm almost positive this is how its happened, so what I want to know is, is it really possible to steal information with just a text? Literally the only info they have is a spam email I use for cl, my cell #, and a couple texts I sent. It was a # local to my area too.

If I did get hacked, to what extent is my phone vulnerable? Do I need a new #? While I texted that person, my phone started freezing. I reset it and deleted all my web data.

I really appreciate any insight you guys can offer, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this.
>>
Is your phone running gentoo?
>>
>>60795482
this
>>
>>60794991
>All I did was text a number from Craigslist

Probably not your phone hacked per se, but rather your number was used in some social engineering scheme.
>>
>>60794991
https://youtu.be/eK65Yx-eiwg
>>
>>60795482
I don't even know what that is...but I should have mentioned it's an iPhone 7 with up to date software
>>
>>60795590
I see...they said they wanted to send me a chase bank or pay me via PayPal, and my bank happened to be chase. I didn't give them any info besides an intro text cause I knew something was off
>>
>>60796661
Well thats probably it.
Install Gentoo
>>
>>60796860
Wouldn't that be easier to hack, or is dis a troll post :(
>>
>>60795590
Probably this, if anything. Doesn't sound like that'd be enough, unless they ported your number to a new phone and started from there, compromising your gmail and such. Did that happen? Does your phone still work?
>>
>>60796687
Wait so were you replying to an obvious fraud listing on craiglist? What was it about?
>>
>>60794991
install gentoo
>>
>>60794991
Sounds a bit farfetched.. are you sure you didnt fuck something else up?
>>
>>60794991
It's generally not a great idea to call or text numbers you don't know, especially one's in foreign countries outside of US government jurisdiction. A friend of mine was able to get into a former friend of mine's phone purely getting his current phone number. I obviously don't know how he did it due to deniability. But anyone that ever tries to tell you that your phone cannot be hacked with just your phone number clearly doesn't understand security. Any type of wherewithal can find vulnerabilities to break it.
>>
>>60798773
No, someone responded to my sale ad. I kept trying to ignore them cause they wanted me to ship to them, but I finally responded and texted the # they gave me.

>>60798756
No, my phone and everything still work fine. I just had to cancel my card. I was just curious if anyone knows about this method of stealing information and whether or not I'm still compromised. Like, I'm hoping I have to actually text the number for their hack or whatever to work and that they won't be able to get my info again.

>>60798862
The number I texted is local to my area though...

Anyways, thanks for the info
>>
>>60795590
they can use social engineering to get a new sim card from your phone carrier ( pretending to be you, i guess you are using your real name + have your email adress set public.) then reset your bank/paypal account password with 2 step authentication with the new card they got.
get a new number from a different carrier and double check security setting in your email.
i dont recommend having 2 step auth with sms anyway
>>
trust me op trickering the sim carrier to give a new sim card is easy, you can try it yourself .
>>
Having your Bank account hacked has nothing to do with your phone being hacked.

Change your bank account password and request the money back dude.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.