[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firefox without XUL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 14963851051950.jpg (37KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
14963851051950.jpg
37KB, 500x334px
People keep telling Firefox is going to cease to exist the moment it forbids using XUL (old API) addons. But is that a fact? I tried to find an addon that would be impossible in Chrome/WebExtensions and couldn't come up with anything substantial! There is even a Chrome alternative to TreeStyleTabs! The only addon I could think of that won't (probably) be feasible is Vimperator.
So I would like to ask you, anon, what important addons won't be possible anymore with WebExtensions?
Is it really as bad as some people say?
>>
File: stock-photo-65468753.jpg (195KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
stock-photo-65468753.jpg
195KB, 900x600px
Bump.
>>
One more bump.
>>
Downthemall
>>
>>60785545
But there are download managers for Chrome, e.g. Chrono Download Manager. Are you sure Downthemall is impossible to implement with WebExtensions?
>>
>>60785365
Everything will be fine and the naysayers will still be using FF when the fire dies down!
>>
>>60785635
>Are you sure Downthemall is impossible to implement
The question isn't necessarily if it's possible, rather if it will get written. The DTA dev has said he won't re-implement it.
>>
>>60785693
Yeah, I heard about it, too. Same w/ Quicksaver, the author of TabGroups, FindBar Tweak, Beyond Australis, OmniSidebar and Puzzle Bars.
However, I'm more curious if it's doable to implement it. If so, i might rewrite a couple of extensions myself.
>>
>>60785655
But anon, Pale Moon supports supports the addons anons are used to, why use Firefox?
>>
>>60785365
the reason people use FF is its extensive customization and extensibility

The reason it has that is because of the community of volunteers and hoobyists developing themes and extensions for free

Mozilla kicked those people in the dick with electrolysis

And now they're kicking them in the dick again, even harder

those people will leave

firefox's raison d' etre leaves with them
>>
>>60785966
If furrymoon dev going to be able to carry on development for long after the change? Won't the code bases start to drift further apart?
>>
>>60786001
You got a point. Still, I think Pale Moon has at the very least two more years.
>>
>>60785967
Let's hope those leaving will work on Pale Moon to ensure the survival of the best browser for power users — firefox as we knew it.

As for e10s, don't you agree there was no other way?
>>
>>60785943
One of the main reason the devs quit it's that Mozilla isn't implementing new APIs that would make this possible, along with the preferential treatment the NoScript dev got
>>
>>60786001
if some furry uses malicious code nothing will happen much but mozilla has a lot to lose, serious users need assurance about stuff like this from their web browser
>>
>>60786454
But are those APIs really this indispensable?
>>
Tree style tabs. I would be using Chromium if they hadn't removed the tabs-on-the-side feature... Tabs on top doesn't fit my screen or my workflow very well.

Hopefully somebody at Google will put it back in before FF drops XUL extensions.
>>
>>60785365
The addons that don't work in Chrome are the reason many use Firefox, without them, why use it?
>>
>>60785365
Vimperator is enough of a reason.
If I leave Firefox (or perhaps when), it won't be for Chrome but for qutebrowser or something like that.
Vim-like browsers are GOAT. I would rather lose all other extensions at once than Vimperator.
>>
Electrolysis was a necessity. I don't blame Firefox for that. I do blame them for not making the migration easier, and for giving preferential treatment to a few existing third-party addons and devs.
>>
>>60787372
Examples?
>>
>>60785365
TabGroups is my favorite add-on. I'm genuinely considering to stop upgrading to keep it come 57.
>>
>>60788421
I know that feel, although i'd been a vimperator user not for so long. Btw Palemoon supports Pentadactyl which many people find even more feature rich.
>>
>>60786853
Mozilla is said to be going to include the sidebar API. And btw theres a Chrome alternative. It works in a small separate window though, so it looks a bit clumsy and unnatural. Lets hope Mozilla will include API for seamless implementation.
>>
>>60789604
you know you can receive updates on Firefox 52 ESR till March? ESR is a thing anon.
>>
>>60785365
If you want a vim like browser there's 6 different webkit based browsers that have vim in it.
>>
>>60786001
palemon has already forked off gecko
>>
>>60785365
Watchwithmpv
>>
>>60791928
Nah, play with mpv is feasible to implement w/ WebExtensions
>>
>>60786806
Yes.

DownThemAll needs a file writing API, and that's not in the works or even planned or even of interest to Mozilla.

It's one of the reasons those shitty download managers for chrome can't do the kind of shit DTA can do.

With I can grab all the file links from a page, select an output folder for that, then go to another page, select the a different output folder for all those files and so on.

Good luck trying to do that with chrome "download managers" without having to manually save each individual file.
>>
>>60792140
Last time I tried to protect it I needed additional helper program installed on my machine. That's infiesable to ship as an add-on. Has something changed?
>>
>>60785365
Whar Chrome alternative?, link?
µblock dev basicly gave up until mozilla fixes their shit too.

fucking hell.
>>
>>60789711
>small seperate window

Its basicly shit then, TST is good because it fits right too.
>>
>>60785365
>I tried to find an addon that would be impossible in Chrome

TabMixPlus
DownThemAll

You could only ever build shitty gimped replacements at best.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.