[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw there will be no better mobile OS than this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: winmobile.jpg (67KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
winmobile.jpg
67KB, 600x600px
>tfw there will be no better mobile OS than this
>>
>>60782869
still have my ipaq lying in a drawer somewhere, it was invincible with opera mini and mpc-hc like player. too bad it had no sim slot.
>>
>>60782869
iOS and Android are both better than that. winfats need to die.
>>
>>60782977
>locked-down systems
>better
Yeah, sure.
>>
>>60782869
While I really liked PPC, I don't think Windows Mobile has anything going for it. It's very basic OS, appropriate for hardware of that time. You should praise BBOS instead, even though it's ded. It actually has features that are important for phone OS.
>easy multitasking with gestures (swipe up from bottom edge to see homescreen where you have miniatures of all open programs)
>good integration of phone and organizer features (message popups which finally got their way into Android in 7.0, BB Hub accessible with a single swipe from everywhere, calendar events visible from lockscreen and the Hub)
It just feels really comfy. Like somebody actually thought it through before slapping their 'muh phone OS' together.
>>
>>60782869
Oh god, these shit was so ugly
>>
>>60782869
>what is s60v5
>>
It was more the hardware of the time honestly. Having plenty of physical buttons and less emphasis on the touch screen was more comfortable, but at the same time it meant using the touch screen without a stylus sucked.
iPhone-style touch screen UI stuff is way easier to pick up, though I'm still not a fan of it personally. Why would I want to obstruct the screen while interacting with it? Shit's dumb.
>>
>>60782869
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBTJ4bg7jiA
>>
>>60782869
Yes there is, it's called BB10OS.
>>
File: Treo650-Sprint.png (1MB, 838x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Treo650-Sprint.png
1MB, 838x1024px
>>60782869
Having used both, I liked Palm OS better.
PPC was too stylus-centric, like Microsoft just decided to directly translate a mouse-based interface to a handheld.
>>
File: 650_1200.jpg (49KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
650_1200.jpg
49KB, 650x500px
>>60782869
Excuse me?
>>
>>60782869
>no capacitive multitouch support
>enough processing power for a toothbrush in 2017
>>
>>60784274
>needing more than that in a cellphone
>>
>>60784782
Are you using that to defend a platform like Windows Mobile with a calendar, email and all other stuff that has nothing to do with telephony?

You're better off using one of these.
>>
>>60782869
You can't even defend why it's a "better mobile OS".

I think you're just trying to be a hipster clinging onto rarely anymore used things to feel a sense of superiority.
>>
the task-oriented rather than entertainment-oriented feel of the entire system was nice, it didn't treat you like an idiot and made your pocket computer actually feel like a pocket computer instead of a facebook toy
getting applications on and off of them with ActiveShyt was a pain though
>>60783147
as phones blackberries kicked the shit out of winmo and the trackball/pad was great, but those devices aged like fucking shit and are basically useless bricks in 2017 while you can still pick up any old winmo PDA and use it for what it was made to do just fine

it was pretty baffling to me picking up my first Bold and basically being unable to do anything with it beyond using the most basic utilities since everything else either needlessly required an active data plan even on a wifi connection or was retarded trialware (even though winmo and palm had the same features for free)

not to mention how shitty the software base is, you can't even find a working email client if you're unlucky enough to be stuck with a fucked up email setup program that you can't update because RIM's legacy device support makes Apple look like a bunch of museum curators

but if none of this was the case, at least the user experience was still great, wish something existed today that blended the advantages of both platforms
>>60784862
someone's projecting tonight
>>
>>60784806
>Are you using that to defend a platform like Windows Mobile with a calendar, email and all other stuff that has nothing to do with telephony?
I never said it should only work as a phone, I said it's enough for being a cellphone.
>>
>>60784806
Is that a Bluetooth handset?
If that exists and isn't taken from some failed Kickstarter that'd be neat to have.
>>
>>60784896
>it didn't treat you like an idiot and made your pocket computer actually feel like a pocket computer instead of a facebook toy
Yeah, I liked it as well.
I picked up WP8 because I liked WM (I was disappointed by drop of support of old WM with WP7 though), and imagine how I was disappointed, when I discovered that Excel in WP8 does less things than Excel in WM6.
>getting applications on and off of them with ActiveShyt was a pain though
I almost never installed through ActiveSync.
>>
>>60785051
WP7+ seems like it really misses the point, and I usually don't use AS either but I had to for some of the shitware I was sticking on my older WM2003 devices that didn't just dump the installers straight into the temp folder before quitting, it was a retarded experience
>>
>>60782869
Are there available emulators of Windows Mobile on Android? I'veseen only Palm emulators so far'
>>
File: godtier.jpg (48KB, 229x400px) Image search: [Google]
godtier.jpg
48KB, 229x400px
Used this for 4 years, switched to one of the first Samsung Galaxy S models with the slide out keyboard, that screen broke.

Went back to the palm for 2 more years now running a Note 4.

The physical keys were comfy, and my friends were always impressed with the threaded texts.

Fuck blackberry.
>>
>>60787082
>fuck the best phone manufacturer
>>
>>60784224
Remember when BlackBerry signed its own death certificate by low-balling its offer for Palm and losing the bid to HP?

Remember when HP's retarded management just killed Palm immediately?
>>
>>60784896
BBOS 7 still werks (used it a few months ago) and BB 10 is fine (except being ded, but you can use android apps so you can get by with it).
>>
>>60784073
>PPC was too stylus-centric
it made sense at the time
a stylus allows for finer, more accurate pointing, which is very important if you want to fit a decent amount of information on a small, low resolution display
>>
>>60789692
>finer, more accurate pointing
In practice it wasn't that fine. HTC Diamond, SE X1 and many not long before iphone 2g showed they should adapt the touch ui, but winmo was dumb for capacitive touchscreen. Using these with stylus was a torture and their performance was always shit and this is why a dumb crap like iphone 2g become instant success.
>>
>>60790162
i hadn't tried such a late winmo device, so i can't speak for them
i owned a ppc2002 device, and tried a friends' winmo2003 device
at least what i used weren't really suitable for finger use, things were too small, but it was no problem using them with a stylus
>>
File: 982 Nokia N900.jpg (66KB, 800x644px) Image search: [Google]
982 Nokia N900.jpg
66KB, 800x644px
>>
>>60790565
Why did good platforms die?
>>
>>60791872
because this is hell
>>
File: Screenshot_20170607-152520.png (1MB, 1321x923px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170607-152520.png
1MB, 1321x923px
>terminal included
>Open source
>Runs apks
>>
>>60792356
so android?
>>
>>60782869
>shitty scheduler
>FS cache disabled by default
>programs terminated when RAM is almost full
>external program to close programs conveniently
There is a whole lot of things to like about PPC but is it a good OS? Probably no.
>>
>>60792515
>>FS cache disabled by default
>>programs terminated when RAM is almost full
do you understand how memory and storage worked on these devices?
they were the same space, it makes no sense to cache or swap when working memory and storage share the same space
>>
>>60792603
>what is storage card
stop fucking kidding me, I used this shit for a decade
>>
>>60792515
And I totally forgot about this one:
>no DMA
what means 100% CPU usage while reading from storage card
>>
>>60792356
sailfish is free software now?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.