[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Risk of buying a used LAPTOP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1496253849910.png (364KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496253849910.png
364KB, 1200x750px
>order a laptop from ebay
>format the drive

What else should be done? How do you detect malware at the firmware / bios level?
How likely is someone to infect a computer and sell it on ebay?
>>
>>60771238
Actual risks: Cockroaches, jizz, smells like a fucking ashtray.
>>
>>60771238
Scrub that mother fucker with bleach wipes
>>
open it up and check for ants

consider replacing the HDD anyway as its likely about to shit itself
>>
>How do you detect malware at the firmware / bios level?
Extremely unlikely. Just reflash the BIOS.
>>
>>60771379
This
>>
>>60771238
I need help someone knows how to track a cell phone is extremely important, this thief not only has my cell phone but other important things
>>
>>60771491
Make a thread
>>
>>60771518
>Make a thread
a thread?
>>
>>60771238
>detect malware at the firmware/bios level
Not gonna happen. Besides the standard NSA malware ofcourse.
>>
>>60771238
>order a laptop from ebay
>format the drive
>turn off laptop
>get tissues, brushes, screwdrivers etc
>google used laptop's how-to disassembly
>disassemble and scrub all components clean
>reassemble
>boot it up and pray
>pull out S.M.A.R.T, memtest86+ and CPU testing from Ubuntu GRUB loader from pendrive. Replace parts if needed with calculated costs
>proceed to install any distro you want
>tear out Intel, Windows and OEM stickers and wipe it clean from old jizz
>>
>>60771491
Not hard, email me at [email protected]
>>
>>60771444
>Extremely unlikely
More likely than you think. Consumer hardware is already known to be tampered with on the firmware level, either with the manufactures knowledge or not, and there exist firmware exploits like BadUSB. I'd say it's more likely than not.
>>
>>60772667
>from pendrive
And how do you verify that the USB's firmware hasn't been tampered with and is malicious?
>>
>>60772749
Is this really that common?
Who fucks with USB firmware?
>>
File: disappoint.jpg (16KB, 249x254px) Image search: [Google]
disappoint.jpg
16KB, 249x254px
>>60772730
>>60772749
>>60773205
If you people are so scared of USB vulnerabilities and BIOS/Firmware level malware, then why are you buying used equipment? If you are concerned about consumer hardware being tampered with by the Company too, why are you using consumer hardware that can have these problems?
You people are so damn paranoid. You really think people care so much about some NEET who bought a used thinkpad? Are you afraid they're gonna steal your anime wallpapers and tripcode passwords? Are you working with ultra-top-secret data? What's the deal?
>>
File: ffs.png (211KB, 654x371px) Image search: [Google]
ffs.png
211KB, 654x371px
>>60773263

How the FUCK did you know the laptop i ordered was a thinkpad?
>>
>>60773205
Look up BadUSB and Rubber Ducky. Every USB device has firmware that communicates with your computer and is allowed system access, by the fact that you can plug in a keyboard and it just works.
>>
>>60772749
Sorry, anon. I can't guarantee anything beyond noexec and usbguard
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.