[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why I use Debian, and not other distros.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: DebianLogo.png (2KB, 80x99px) Image search: [Google]
DebianLogo.png
2KB, 80x99px
The only reason is that it's not bloated or dumbed down, simple and gets out of your way, but also has an easy install.

>was expecting this to be longer
>>
I use Debian too but to be honest this is a pointless and rather boring thread.
>>
It's the biggest community project and has most packages, too.
>>
>>60766572
you just use it because you're a fucking special snowflake who doesn't like the fact that normal people use Ubuntu
>>
>>60766841
I use it because it's a platform for kodi. Then I terminal in to set up extra applications
>>
>>60766841

Not OP but Ubuntu is excellent, no doubt. I use Debian because I enjoy learning more about Linux and it also doesn't have the corporate bias that Ubuntu has.
>>
>>60766841
ubuntu is botnet and their nonstandard software is bad
>>
>>60766572
I just switched to Fedora, their Gnome feels more polished and a bit less buggy.
>>
>>60766572
The software is outdated as fuck
Even on Stretch, and Sid is just buggy as fuck.

Still, that is the only disadvantage, for me at least,
everything else is fairly good.
>>
>>60767219

Of course sid is buggy, it's the unstable branch.
>>
>>60766572
ubuntu server is where's is at my nigga, nobody uses debian unless they're unemployed fat pedos.
>>
>>60767219
It's stable, backports are also stable. It has the desktop experience for professional users after beta-testing by Arch kids.
>>
ubuntu is basically just debian with more dumbed down features for newbies, faggot
>>
File: 1496458632431.png (155KB, 465x465px) Image search: [Google]
1496458632431.png
155KB, 465x465px
>>60766572
I use it too. It just works.

>>60766841
Except Ubuntu is trash that randomly breaks for not reason at all. I was using it with Unity about a year ago and it would have this little icon on the menu bar and when I clicked it there was an error message. I updated everything and Googled the message. Nothing helped and it wouldn't go away. I reinstalled Ubuntu and it came back a week later. Apparently something in the kernel was busted. Fucking Ubuntu is a piece of shit.
>>
>>60766572
Take your ancient software elsewhere
>>
>>60766572
Also loved by nsa backdoors. Well, not as much as ubuntu
>>
Debian is great but not if you use newer hardware. I had issues with a new Nvidia card and the package maintainers got retarded about updating the driver in unstable. They updated it and it was fine, then they reverted it because they thought it had stability issues. Hello, it's fucking called "unstable". Nouveau is very much hit or miss, and since my card was new Nouveau did some weird shit like lock up completely when I went to full screen text mode. So that wasn't an option either.

I waited for months for them to update that stupid ass driver and they never did. Finally I went back to Mint and everything worked. Mint is definitely slower and more bloated but at least I know that clem won't be a retard.

Every time I bring this up someone chimes in and calls me a dumbass and that the driver was "definitely updated in unstable, you just have to pin it in apt blah blah blah". No, no it wasn't. I fucking know how to use apt. They DID update it, then they reverted it. There was a huge thread about it. So fuck off with that bullshit.
>>
>>60767647
Have you ever considered that instead of writing all that on a Bulgarian bear skinning forum you should have just hanged yourself with some floss?
>>
>>60766572
I've used it non-stop for 3 years now I think. Even with Jessie I didn't have trouble installing the latest things I needed. Now I'm on 9 and I haven't had anything break on me from an upgrade, only having trouble when I mess with things and then I can just revert to the apt defaults.

>>60767647
I've never had that happen to me but I can see how it would be frustrating. This is when I remember I'm still using Linux: I only use packages when I quickly want some software for basic use, otherwise I build most things myself when I need cutting edge. Debian is useful in this case as it comes with very good sane defaults and building things is very easy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.