[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Used PC components

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (2KB, 160x90px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2KB, 160x90px
Hi
i have a question, what do you think about used computer components? I would like to buy used SSD (of course tested) and Im thinking about used GTX 970 (Its so cheap now).
Do you use any second hand parts?
Anyone have experience with these fucking things?
>>
all my pc parts (almost desu) are 2nd hand
>>
And? You have any problems, any fucking crashes etc?
>>
>>60762472
nah, its all good, except a motherboard I bought once
>>
What's the best way to buy 2nd hand parts. Also want to save some money. Any websites apart from the generic ebay and amazon?
>>
Well you probably wouldn't want to buy a SSD that has been used extensively. There is a finite number of writes but I will admit they do tend to last quite awhile especially with TRIM. I personally would not buy a used SSD but other hardware is probably fine. The only thing I would be worried about buying used CPU/GPU is whether it was overvolted for a long time which would lessen its lifespan. Typically this is not a big deal though because since new hardware and architecture comes out quite frequently even if a part dies it wouldn't be difficult to buy the same used part for cheaper or just switch to something new. My 2 cents.
>>
>>60762697
Might be able to snag a good deal off craigslist every once in awhile or something. Sometimes people don't necessarily know what they are selling or what it is worth.
>>
File: bend2[2].jpg (103KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
bend2[2].jpg
103KB, 360x480px
>>60762176
Buying new is for suckers. The only thing you should think about buying new is a hard drive. Used SSDs are fine as long as they are your OS drive and you keep things backed up on your hard drive.

CPUs, GPUs, RAM, fans, heat sinks, cases: never buy new. You'd just be throwing away money.

Power supplies... once you get the hang of buying used they're fine too. Especially if you know how to test them.
>>
>>60762697
Ebay. Ebay's "used" category comes with certain protections, and if you buy something and it is DOA you have an easy way of getting your money back. And there are seller ratings to look at. And it's always got the best average prices.

If you want rock-bottom prices you have to go to real-life live auctions and buy pallets and lots. You can buy a pallet of Thinkpads for $100 or less.
>>
Ok i don't want to post next thread so,
i5 6400 or i3 7100?
>>
>>60763482
Neither. Wait until the i9 drops and the market is flooded with upgraders.
>>
homie im buying PC :v
>>
>>60763482
Why not buy Ryzen? Probably cheaper and better multi-threaded performance.
>>
When the GTX1080ti appeared the 1080 price shot down, I bought an open box Gigabyte G1 Gaming for half the price it was pre ti, it's performed like a champ ever since, saved cash bought ram a Corsair H60 and a evo 960 NVME ssd.

First time I'd bought non sealed, won't be the last
>>
>>60762176
I wouldnt buy a used ssd and I'd under no circumstances would never used psu
everything else is mostly cool though
>>
>>60763069
how do I test a psu?
>>
>>60765133
With a multi-meter.
>>
The most "risky" used PC parts are RAM and PSUs. Other than that, you're good.
>>
i just realized all my computer parts are were used parts.
either bought online or taken from a scrapped computer
CPU: ebay (used)
Motherboard: ebay (used)
memory: amazon (new)
SSD: Fry's (new)
2 320GB HHDs: taken from scrapped computers
dvd drive:taken from a scrapped computer

im about to buy another memory stick from ebay...used of course
mother board has been working fine for the past 2 years now
CPU. i just purchased a month ago. previous CPU was taken from a scrapped computer that had a faulty iGPU.
hard drives: been working smoothly for the past 6 years
>>
Always buy refurbished from a trusted seller
>>
>>60762176
I wouldn't buy a used add unless it's a manufacturer refurbished one for really cheap, but I could see myself buying a used GTX 970 if the price was right.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.