[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly /g/, is ipfs the future?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: ipfs.png (24KB, 640x256px) Image search: [Google]
ipfs.png
24KB, 640x256px
Honestly /g/, is ipfs the future?
>>
yo nigga is this minecraft
>>
>>60756555
I don't know, how will you incentivise users to give up storage on their devices for free..

But at least its a good story line for Silicon Valley.
>>
>>60756637
>>60756657
I'm talking about InterPlanetary File System, which is a is a peer-to-peer distributed file system that seeks to connect all computing devices with the same system of files. It's basically if you took the internet and made it like bittorrent. It's impossible to have a censored internet as long as one person is keeping the site alive because it relies on the swarm to seed the website.
https://ipfs.io/
>>
>>60756681
Concepts like this are interesting, but they always run into the problem of CP. No one wants to be hosting CP on their computer.
>>
>>60756681
thats what the main character tryies to achieve in Silicon Valley series in season 3.

but again, it will have to save files on users devices, just like torrents.

I myself would embrace the technology and try to create illegal tv hosting sites lol, with 0 hosting costs...
>>
There is something about Filecoins, not sure is they are supposed to be generated by distributing someone's content, paying someone for hosting or how they should work???

It really is for content distribution, competition for clouds. Plays badly with server-side applications.

So far it lacks tooling, filecoins afaik aren't there yet so there is no motivation for hosting content, content-filtering to avoid jail is supposed to be solved in application layer but it's not there yet, domain names not there (all hash-coordinated), no tools for private networks.

Concept is nice, seems legit. But Juan Benet presents everything in the way showed in that Sillicon Valley episode "we will make the world a better place", which is silly and annoying.

Would bet it's going to die, but I'm pessimist.
>>
>>60756657
You only host the file you want to and you can still technically see who's hosting what.
If a person types in the hash for that file it takes you to it.

this of course can be used on a website scale.
People who like an image and save i to their HDD will contribute to the spread of that file across the network, thus ensuring that data that is cared about will most likely never die.

It's as simple as: I love this anime. I'm okay with sharing it with the internet. And thus you tick your entire media folder to share.
>>
>>60756706
This is the reason why we need more protection laws for us innocent people that don't host CP. I aint no accomplice damn it
>>
>>60756657
There's an ipfs clone used in Japan where people give up some storage in order to download shit. I don't remember its name.
>>
File: logo1[2].png (2KB, 279x129px) Image search: [Google]
logo1[2].png
2KB, 279x129px
>>60756555
What do you think about matrix?
>>
>>60756555
Once the ipfs dns system starts working and bigger directories (10,000s to 10,000,000s of files) start to perform maybe.
>>
Yes, it is.

I wish it was the present.
>>
>>60757557
Gorgeous encryption in this protocol. Specs well written, recommended to read.
>>
>>60757530
You're probably thinking of Perfect Dark
>>
>>60756555
Possibly. This isn't really 4chan /g/ though, I think lainchan /tech/ has a dedicated general on IPFS
>>
>>60756706
Insignificant in the grand scheme of the greater good.
>>
>>60756681
>.io
y tho
>>
>>60756706
You get to choose to pin, i.e. seed what data you want to make available. It's not like that Tor knockoff (forget the name) where users devote drive space to the network.
>>
>>60760728
What does the N64 have to do with this?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.