[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your hypothetical server's specs and layout?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: server_spaghetti_4[1].jpg (127KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
server_spaghetti_4[1].jpg
127KB, 550x367px
Say you are a developer for a game that has around 50,000 people playing it on average at all times. What's your server like? What are its specs? You have to keep it under $3k. Price includes racks, cables, power filtering, etc.
>>
>>60752501

Motherfucker, what?

I could spend $3,000 on a Rack, Cabling, and Power Filtering alone. You'd be better off just laying the servers on the ground than trying to take care of that shit in that price range.

If you mean $3,000 for the server hardware alone, and just fail at english, you're still not asking for anything reasonable. If the program the server is running is only capable of handling a few threads at a time, like a Python-based score-server that can only handle, like, 4 threads at a time, then you could run it on a fucking Desktop i5 and get about as much raw performance as any server in that price range.

Honestly, for $3k, you're better off virtualizing with Amazon or Rackspace or somebody, and getting in on pricing based on resources used. You're getting free backups, DDoS protection, static IPs, and more when you virtualize with most groups.
>>
>>60752562
Sure, fair enough. But let's meet in the middle here, how much would you spend on a server room that would host that many people playing an online game?
>>
Can I just use AWS and not have to deal with the hardware?
>>
Depends on what type of server, if its an mmo rpg you can host 5000 people on a single i5 processor. If you are hosting a shooter, i5 processor per 500 people
>>
>>60752501
Not even EPYC can save your lying arse Pajeet.

Really you'd have to go all second/third hand. And hope to buggary there's people selling the equipment in enough stock.
But all that will be for nought when your first power bill arrives.
>>
AWS
>>
>>60752668
>mmo rpg
>>60752668
>5000 people
>>60752668
>single i5 processor
anon, I..
>various links to minecraft
>>
>>60752667
Of course you can but i think aws is one of the more expensive ones out there, if it's a popular game there are server companies that would host your game for very cheap (even free) if you advertize it online
>>
>>60752501
If you know your demand is stable then don't fall for the aws meme. You can get a real deal on shit if you buy from a regular ovh and sometimes if your buy in advance.

Depending on the game you can maybe reduce ticks to reduce the load on your infra...

I would also try to improve my stack. Replace whatever needs to be very fast, efficient etc should be rewritten in a lower level language/faster..
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.