[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't my IP address changing every time I reset my modem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 1496522895482.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1496522895482.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Why isn't my IP address changing every time I reset my modem anymore I rang my ISP and they said I still have a dynamic IP.
>>
File: BSOD.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
BSOD.gif
2MB, 320x240px
This crazy thing called a DHCP lease time.
>>
Change your router's Mac address that will pretty much force a new ip
>>
>>60749456

you could try not using your interwebs for around 3 days and see how it goes gl wth that
>>
>>60749456

or you could ask your ISP to reboot your connection altogether
>>
>>60749566
What if I shortened the lease time?
>>
>>60749621
It would not do anything on your ISPs end. That option is for your local DHCP.
You only really have 2 options, unhook both modem and router from power for a few hours or change router Mac (you will see this option as mac cloning) and reboot
>>
>>60749621
Doesn't your router have a setting to release the IP? If you do, release it and wait a couple of minutes or so(you'll be without a connection of course, so load up some game)
>>
>>60749688
Alright cheers I'll give it a go.
>>
>>60749693
I don't think so I'm in Australia and I have a thing called NBN so it's pretty straight forward I use to just be able to turn my modem on and off again and get an instant new IP.
>>
>>60749745
Have you checked the control panel? Might be worth a look
>>
>>60749621
what least time? pick up a fucking book about networking because you have no idea what you are talking about
>>
>>60749774
Cheers I'll have a look

>>60749801
I never said I knew what I was talking about maybe that is why I'm here asking for help don't reply to my thread if you've got nothing to add dumb fuck.
>>
>>60749835
if your modem is your router then you are fucked, just deal with it and stop going to whatever faggot website that banned you kiddo
>>
>>60749745
Australia forced static ip don't they? even turning my router off for 24h didn't change it
>>
>>60749867
Yeah that might be no other explanation as to why I'd be able to reset my modem and get a new IP instantly then suddenly haven't been able to.
>>
>>60749867

yeah that's more likley it, static ip

thats really total bummer and what drives vpn sales essentially
>>
>>60749456
Get a free domain name at afraid.org
Register at dyndns.org
Run update script on router
Profit
>>
Stop wasting IPv4 addresses, asshole. Why would you ever need a new ip anyway?
>>
>>60752433
Probably a /pol/tard incessantly spamming "race realist" infographics everywhere.
>>
>>60749456
real nice technology pic, fag
>>
FUCK TRUMP AND FUCK ALL WHITE PEOPLE

FUCKING RACIST OP ASSHOLE
>>
The FBI has frozen your IP
good luck OP.
>>
>>60752433
How is he wasting an address, new one gets assigned from a pool and old one gets returned to the pool
>>
Your modem needs to be off for at least 2 hours (i can assume that you are on some sort of fibre connection)
>>
File: 1496544974435.jpg (56KB, 450x425px) Image search: [Google]
1496544974435.jpg
56KB, 450x425px
>>
>>60752753

TWOOOOOOOOO SCOOOOPSSSSSSSS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Bam evader detected
>>
>>60752433
>Stop wasting IPv4 addresses, asshole. Why would you ever need a new ip anyway?
havent they all been used already? just reuse the old ones imo. ipv4 a shit
>>
>>60749566
Lol yeah good luck choosing a mac address that's provisioned at your ISPs termination system. Every ISP is different though. If you're on a shitty ISP that isn't a reseller, you MAY get away with this.
>>
>>60752872
Pretty sure most ISPs are perfectly fine with you having your own router. I also doubt they would want to deal with the inevitable headache of provisioning the MAC address for every customer that wants to use their own router.
>>
Leave that chicken alone wtf dude
>>
strangle that duck and I'll strangle you fuckface
>>
>>60749867
Ausfag here. Australia does not force static IP addresses (you actually have to pay extra for one in most cases), but NBN connections do generally come with static addresses.
>>
>>60753144
In Russia ISPs identify clients by their MACs, some random numbers just won't work.
>>
>>60753377
thats retarded
>>
>>60752433
>he can't into NAT
>>
>>60749478
thread should had ended here. wtf /g/
>>
>>60752460
How paranoid can you be?
>>
>>60749456
Keep your router turned off for about 6 minutes.
Usually the line is reset by then and you should been given a new IP
>>
>>60752872
>>60753377
didn't know this was a thing, it's almost has bad as limited data plans in home internet
>>
I think we have massive lease times over here. I've never once had my IP change with home connections.
>>
>>60755991
Most ISPs use some sort of VPN (PPPoE) with username and password for internet access, MAC is just for ISP/city LAN
>>
>>60756017

Depends on the ISP. I'm with iiNet and I constantly change my IP.
>>
>>60749456
Why is he doing this to him? ;_;
>>
>>60758582
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk
>>
>>60752433
It's not wasted
it's just recycled in the dhcp pool after it expires
>>
>>60758667
Lol nice
>>
>>60752476
Are you new here?
>>
>>60749566
How do I change MAC Address if on windows??
>>
>>60756053
this, in brasil, if its ADSL like telefonica(vivo) you just need a generic DSL modem and your username in it, and if its internet via "cabletv" its then MAC

recently i noticed that DSL by Telemar telecom has no username in their provided modems, so your identity might be configured at the DSLAM (a hub of them exists within a couple kilometers of your house) ?

but if its coaxial cable internet by america movil(claro), it just works via MAC address, in fact, i have tested and you can carry your cablemodem to a friends house, as long as they have Claro internet, you can split their co-ax cable, and have both modems working, identical models, each will function at the contracted bandwidth. its pretty cool actually.

>>60749456
>>60752872
>>60753377
i have found that if its isp provided modem with fixed wan MAC, its usually functioning as bridge, and you attach your own router after it, right?
you just need to change the wan MAC for the router, i dont even need to reset the modem, only after some 2 IP chages if refuses any new MAC, then a wall plug restart will work for 2 more IPs... also withour restarting, after several hours i can come back to a previous MAC and the ip will have changed.
>>
>>60749688
Ive seen modems where this isnt an option.
Ive also seen isps lock modems down so bad that you cant even change your own ssid OR password
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.