[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Privacy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Privacy_PIA.jpg (632KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Privacy_PIA.jpg
632KB, 800x600px
"We are no longer the customers, we are the product." Now, this is interesting. A few years ago when looking for free vpns and thinking i am a l33t haxor by using command prompt, i read the same quote, only slightly different. "When a vpn it is free, it is your privacy that you are paying with". Now this has become so acceptable that companies can start putting spyware into paid products. We, the customers, shouldn't have accepted the spyware in free products in the first place. People have to start realizing that with one mistake by microsoft / apple / samsung / google, all their data could possibly be public and readable by everyone. Now some say "We'll i've got nothing to hide." To quote snowden: "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say. ". This is going downhill and in just a few years we can fully forget privacy, even with the most expensive products if people don't stop companies such as microsoft / google / apple / samsung. Just imagine a guy walking next to you all the time an writing down everything you do, even if he doesn't publish it and doesn't even read it, it just feels weird for him to have that information, doesn't it? The internet is such a powerful place, but people accept it as it is without using the power that they have in big groups if they have the same opinion. And i am pretty sure the whole internet has the same opinion when it comes to companies recording all of your keystrokes and recording your personal details and general life.
>>
File: aUOAv.jpg (173KB, 826x1348px) Image search: [Google]
aUOAv.jpg
173KB, 826x1348px
>>60745669
One thing you have to admit OP, all this wouldn't happen if there wasn't money put for marketing orwellian politics. And I don't mean just buying an article in a newspaper, I mean heavy stuff, even astroturfing on social media.

Remember how seven years ago people were mocked when mentioning mass surveillance was possible? Same thing happens with viral marketing and undercover telemarketing on the internet.

The sooner we admit "shills" exists, the better.
>>
I searched vpn and didn't find a thread and didn't figure my question was worth making one. What is a good vpn to buy? Should I buy one? I live in America if it matters.
>>
>>60745848
phybervpn.com is cheap and fast (around 20-30mb/s on the nearest server for me and 20$ for lifetime). They say they don't log, can't be proven. If you don't want your vpn provider to log, you are gonna have a hard time finding one. HMA gave away details about some LulzSec members although they said they didn't log... Hope this helped.
>>
>>60745984
I can't find the lifetime one but 18 a year doesn't sound bad. Thank you.
>>
>>60745848
go to thatoneprivacysite (.net) and torrentfreak's VPN guide. Make your own decision instead of relying on what some shithead on /g/ uses.
>>
>>60746602
I'll check that out too.
>>
File: phybervpnpurchase.png (96KB, 1899x996px) Image search: [Google]
phybervpnpurchase.png
96KB, 1899x996px
>>60746562
Interesting. If you have an account there (account is free) go to purchase. there should be a lifetime package. maybe they removed it and it is only shown for the people who bought that when it was available.
>>60746602 is right tho, make your own decision.
>>
So, if I use a raspberry pi and turn it into a VPN server for my house, all of my outgoing connections will be secured? Or will the only things being secured be my home network devices? Obviously, I want the first scenario
>>
>>60748736
You seem to have a misunderstanding of the way this works.

A VPN server accepts connections from VPN clients. The connection between the server and the client is an encrypted tunnel. So if you put a VPN server in your house and then sit in your room and connect to it, you'll have an encrypted tunnel from one room in your house to the other, and the VPN server will then forward your traffic out the same home internet connection that your normal traffic uses. If you walk down to the coffee shop and get on their wi-fi you can (if you know your home IP, or use a dynamic-DNS service) connect to the VPN server at your house. The tunnel will run from the coffee shop to your house, and the wider internet will see your traffic as coming from your home internet IP. This is handy if you want a VPN for protection from wi-fi networks that you don't trust, but it does nothing for you if your adversary is your home ISP or government.

What you probably want is a VPN server somewhere far away from you. Preferably in another country. Then your traffic will appear to come from wherever the server is located, and your ISP won't be able to see any of it. You can, of course, connect to it from the aforementioned coffee shop to protect against any local network/internet connection that you don't trust.

If you go this route remember that whoever provides the remote VPN server can see all traffic you send through it. Many providers promise not to peek or keep any logs, but you have no way to verify this. A VPN is not a magic thing that makes you untraceable. It moves your connection from one point to another, that's all. It's one building block you can use as part of a security and privacy strategy.
>>
>>60745669
Their tactic is the same as a snake funnily enough. Everytime you exhale a little they tighten their hold and little by little you can't breath. Their goal is to erode freedom on the Internet and to monitor everything you do both on and off the net.

Also please learn to paragraph.
>>
>>60749298
Okay, that's what I was thinking but for some reason I was hopeful for all of my connections to be secured. Thanks for clearing that up
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.