[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I am returning to school for a BS in computer science, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0704.png (493KB, 776x518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0704.png
493KB, 776x518px
So I am returning to school for a BS in computer science, but noticed that information systems seems much easier (less math). Could I be a software developer with an information systems degree?
>>
You can be a software developer without either, the question is how many doors do you want open at the beginning of your career?
>>
>>60743097
We'll I wouldn't want to cast any doubts in regards to my education or knowledge when applying for jobs. I am going to school for one of these degrees though.
>>
>>60743155
Although I am not an employer, I can say that I would consider the CS degree wielding applicant over the IS applicant if they both had the same experience and attitude. It carries a lot more weight.
>>
>>60743490
What does the CS degree imply to you? Just being smarter overall?
>>
>>60742910
Why would you want to be a developer
>>
>>60745521
It implies that you're willing (or, I would hope, eager) to learn the math and difficult theory underlying the technologies you work with. Most CS programs already go pretty fucking light on mathematics, but IS strikes me as basically a business degree.
>>
>>60745959
Yeah IS has a lot of business-related courses, things like intro to accounting and the like

>>60745959
I like programming and computers, not to mention the perks (work from home) and salary that comes with software development.
>>
>>60742910
what the fuck is that thing?
>>
>>60749049
Canadian goose. All geese have those serrations on their beaks, but the canadian goose's are so pronounced they look like teeth.
>>
File: VWr6I.gif (1MB, 325x203px) Image search: [Google]
VWr6I.gif
1MB, 325x203px
I think the biggest thing is that whereas the CS degree is aimed at the tech doing the work, an IS degree is aimed at someone who will manage the ones doing the work in the long run. Both have certain merits tho the CS aspect opens up a lot more jobs.
>>
Went to school for a computer info systems degree (haha laugh at me), only had to do Calc 1 and graduated in 3 years. Got a job doing essentially CS work, mainframe development making 62K straight out of school.

heh
>>
File: 1433297290747.png (5KB, 262x292px) Image search: [Google]
1433297290747.png
5KB, 262x292px
>>
>>60752673
hey at least you can get a job with cs
>>
>>60752673
work half as hard for twice the pay
every day im stupid and everyday i get payed for it
>>
>>60752673
>not utilizing all three to complete projects that most interest you

Cuck
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.