[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intel's Virtual RAID on CPU needs a dongle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

"Intel’s Virtual RAID On CPU supports up to 20 drives in RAID 0 for free, but if you want more RAID 1 or other redundant setups, you need to buy this key from Intel. Out of the box, if you have Intel drives, an Asus Hyper M.2, and a Skylake-X, you can build a RAID 0 partition. But if you want to enable RAID 1, RAID 5, or other RAID schemes with redundancy to protect your data, you have to buy this Intel key to enable it."

HOLY SHIT, IS IT POSSIBLE TO FUCK UP EVEN MORE?

Source: https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/620057/intel-core-i9-x299-enable-crazy-raid-configurations-price/
>>
Yes. They may lock you in to only using Intel drives.
>>
File: good goy.png (604KB, 800x523px) Image search: [Google]
good goy.png
604KB, 800x523px
>>60742366
Of course! Don't want those nasty goys cutting into our server sales, now.
>>
This has been the norm for server mobos for years. This will never fly for consumers though. The target audience will spend 10 bucks on a raid card before buying a dongle.
>>
File: 1419634154238.jpg (1MB, 1845x1923px) Image search: [Google]
1419634154238.jpg
1MB, 1845x1923px
>>60742366
They don't want to cannibalise their enterprise eco-structure.

Typical intel
>>
>>60742627
>>60742541
I don't get in. So, let's assume those i9s are cheaper than Xeons and I want to run a server with them. I'll buy a separate RAID card with BBU, if all you can propose is FakeRAID then it's better to use mdadm.
>>
>>60742692
No EEC.
>>
>>60742614
no counterfeit dongle?
>>
>>60742627
>800x600 benchmarking

Does the person who made this image do not how what a CPU benchmark is or why is the resolution lowered in the first place?
>>
File: benchmark for ants.png (1KB, 80x25px) Image search: [Google]
benchmark for ants.png
1KB, 80x25px
>>60742749
oi vey why would you want to bench higher than 640x480, goy?
>>
>>60742692
A separate RAID array will cost you a lot more than the dongle and just running it off the motherboard, a good RAID card with ECC memory and battery reserve is expensive.
If you already have one then it's another story, but this way they can at least prevent people doing it the cheap and easy way.
>>
File: 1423781683154.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1423781683154.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>60742749
It's a meme anon, enjoy it.
>>
>>60742765

No you're right, we should benchmark things at 4k like AMD did so the GPU can be the bottleneck, right?
>>
>>60742785
1080p 240hz is a meme. Sorry, bro. 1080p 144hz is a bit more sensible but really, 1440p 75hz is where it's at.
>>
>>60742770
Also, if you want to join M.2, U.2 or AIC SSDs, then you'll have no choice but to shell out the cash, as they run directly from the PCI-E lanes.
>>
>>60742770
Well, yes, but it "runs on the CPU", which means FakeRAID with all of its disadvantages: you need separate tools to monitor it, you need drivers, which can be not released for every distro. To be honest, I don't see FakeRAID advantages at all, except when it's Windows which can't boot from a software RAID.
>>
>>60742770
The dongle just grants you permission to use Intel's own bastardized flavor of software RAID.
Or you could just tell them to fuck off and use a standard software RAID solution since any serious OS already has them and they're completely unrestricted.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.