[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portable HDD Failure?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

So my Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB 3 portable Hard drive appears to have suddenly gone complete failure.

Its almost four years old.

Is that a normal lifespan for one of these?

For most of that time I only plugged it in when using it.. I had it about 80% filled with CD rips in FLAC and a few DVD iso

no signs of impending failure just started the PC with the drive connected the day after I defragged it and the comuter froze.

the only thing I've been able to get to work was WD Lifeguard which said it had "too many bad sectors"

is that a hardware problem or did the defrag mess up some of the larger dvd iso maybe?

I have been unable to get any utilities to work to open,copy or check the drive.

ordered another one but just wanted to see if I am overlooking any options.

even tried the "throw it in a zip lock baggie in the freezer over night" trick...
>>
>>60734157
Could be a problem with the board in the enclosure instead of the drive itself. Try taking it out and plugging it into a PC directly.

4 years is starting to get up there.
Aside: in my experience most people have not personally experienced a hard drive failure they're aware of. A working theory of mine is that is going to start increasing not only because over time it has to, but because the average person's storage requirements started leveling off maybe 5 years ago. In the past, people would frequently get new computers, or at least new external drives to keep up with their ever increasing amount of data. Now people use the same drives for much longer than they used to.
>>
>>60734216
>Try taking it out and plugging it into a PC directly.

it is an external portable... it was never inside .. always only connects over the usb cord... anyway.

I ordered another one as they're much faster than the internal master boot drive.. just under $60.. never had a drive just completely fail all at once like this whatever the style .. the internal master 1TB WD I have been using much longer than four years AND I bought it used off Craigslist too so no idea how old it really is anyway.. tests fine

well if there's nothing likely to allow me to retrieve its contents I have some CD ripping in my future I guess.
>>
>>60734370
What do you mean a 1TB external portable 'always connects over the usb cord'? I don't mean inside your PC, I mean inside the external drive enclosure that it comes in.

External hard drives are standard sata drives in enclosures that allow for a USB interface. It's not uncommon for the pcb with the usb circuitry to fail and have the HDD still be fine. Take the shell off the drive, unplug the 2.5" drive from the board it's connected to and plug it into sata power and data in your PC like any other internal drive and you can probably read the files on it. The only downside is that I think I remember reading that the firmware in the external devices is sometimes encrypted so it can't be read except with that device, but it's worth trying anyway.

Search 'WD my passport 1tb shuck' or something like that and you might find guides on how to get the drive out. It's probably kind of a pain with 2.5" externals compared to full sized ones.
>>
>>60734157
its not dead. plug it into another windows PC, it should say "drive needs repair" and do it. and don't defrag your fucking external drive
>>
File: usb-connector.jpg (59KB, 550x344px) Image search: [Google]
usb-connector.jpg
59KB, 550x344px
>>60736561
are you retarded senpai?
Left drive is a portable WD passport. It has only USB 3.0 connector on it.
Right is a normal SATA drive.
>>
>>60734157
try to get the drive out first if you have exasted all efforts to get it working.
Do not format

videos based on your model and try to open it up (yes psyically) this will break the drive outer but if its not working you need the 2.5" drive inside
pull out the 2.5" drive carefully unpluging or removing wires
now find a desktop and add the 2.5" drive
you should see your data now.

you may want to you a dos command to check the disk its called chkdsk
this will find errors and try to correct it.
then you can use your HDD again if not problems are found.
>>
>>60736816
Jeeze, what the fuck... Reaffirmed my plan to never buy a pre-assembled external drive.
Nevermind, all your data is gone, throw that thing in the garbage where it belongs.
>>
>>60736816
Thats called hardware drm.

No way youre gonna use this hdd in your pc goyim also if u need an internal buy a new wd with exclusive sata port
>>
>>60736898
Last time I checked Seagate/Samsung still use normal SATA drives inside their externals, WD and Toshiba pull this usb 3 fuckery
>>
>>60736816
I remember seeing one of those at work. Grabbed an old dead one of the same brand and swapped the board over. Luckily the connecters were all in the same place.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.